What Midi Sequencer do you use?

Guest djnemo

Hi Amithaba :) But in both of them I cant program my synths and drummachines in (Hardware). I already do use Reason, I like the sampler and the Drummachine in it. That is why was looking for something that I can use rewire in, something that is stable. But I already solved my problem with the midi timing, it was just a matter of moving a file to another location, and now it sounds very tight. :) Thanks for the tip anyways, though.

200058[/snapback]

Ever tried to Rewire Reason to FL Studio? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

i've been making music in reason for years now, and i feel i'm learning new stuffs and i improve every time.. but it feels im getting to a point where sound search feels not as much fun and synths are a bit limited to a certain type of sounds.. i mean i can get cool sounds, but it feels like it takes too much time experimenting..

i mean if i think up a sound i would like, its hard to realize it in reason. i think it feels much mor fun to play with a hardware synthz or great VSTi's ..

i need more freedom of choise with synths.. i just tried atmosphere (NI) and its mindblowing for atmospheric pads!!! something that would be hard to top with a maelstrom! and the only _good_ effects in reason is the new reverb!

still i love the sample machine and rex, and some subtractor leads! so thats why i would like a rewire!!

So im going to try Sonar 4 and rewire !! wish me luck ;)

i've been making music in reason for years now, and i feel i'm learning new stuffs and i improve every time.. but it feels im getting to a point where sound search feels not as much fun and synths are a bit limited to a certain type of sounds.. i mean i can get cool sounds, but it feels like it takes too much time experimenting..

i mean if i think up a sound i would like, its hard to realize it in reason.  i think it feels much mor fun to play with a hardware synthz or great VSTi's ..

i need more freedom of choise with synths.. i just tried atmosphere (NI) and its mindblowing for atmospheric pads!!! something that would be hard to top with a maelstrom! and the only _good_ effects in reason is the new reverb!

still i love the sample machine and rex, and some subtractor leads! so thats why i would like a rewire!!

So im going to try Sonar 4 and rewire !! wish me luck ;)

202199[/snapback]

best of luck mate!! :)

each artist use what its best for him , i use FLStudio for 2 years and im still glad with it.

Hey all, I just installed Sonar 4 and that seems to have a lot of nice features. But I dont understand the program just yet. It also DOES seem like the rewire feature is not as enhanced as in CubaseSX (Maybe that is because it was designed for Steinberg products in the very beginning?).

Maybe its just me that is doing something wrong again hehe. Well, ill let you all know of my progress. I think I will stick with Cubase though.

I use an Akai MPC2000. It has a very simple sequencer wich i like and it triggers internal samples without any delay so it's 100% tight for drums and wathever i use samples for.

198659[/snapback]

Respect to all the hardware users. Using a w30 myself, no matter of internal or external sources it's damn tight when it comes to midi. Though i do not create whole songs with it (complex), it's a pretty nice toy for loops etc.

It would be nice to have a couple of those Alesis MMT-8's, like Orbital does. Fun fun fun!

I was wondering what kind of Midi Sequencer people here at the board are using. I use Cubase SX 2, and I feel that it is very untight. I have a M-Audio midisport 2x2 for midi.

I use a M-Audio Firewire 410 Audiocard, since its firewire and I only produce on the laptop.

I am thinking of switching over to another sequencer, and leave Cubase behind once and for all.

What do you people use? Any sequencer that you prefer? I need to use Midi, not audio, that is not important (Well, I use audio too, but there are always workarounds).

I used Logic Audio for a very long time, but since they stopped developing for PC, I have left it totally. I wish there was one out there that was as tight as that. And yes I know, I should get myself a MAC, but that is not in the budget just yet ;)

198653[/snapback]

If you got the latest version of Cubase 2 you should be fine...

I used the same 2x2 box and I have not much latency at all

Make sure you get the newest drivers for it.

LIVE is a good option as well.

i like orion platinum a lot.

people are always trying to get me to switch TO logic.

many psy trance producers use it.

i already used it a few years ago and found it a pain in the ass. (i learned on cubase on a mac quadra 650 with pro tools and samplecell at the studio at university.)

i like nuendo in terms of crossplatform moving ahead software kinds of things.

its very plush and you can customize it to the hilt down to what items are in the menus...

i find many people like logic for its built in effects (in particular the eqs- which have usefull frequency placements for the various bands....)

many people like the built in instruments.

as a vst host its not any fancier than the rest.

assigning hardware controllers to vst synth parameters is a pain in the ass in most sequencers...

(hooray orion midi learn function for everything!)

i like to use lots of pitch modulation on sounds.

i just recently got a hardware synth called the dave smith evolver.

other than that i've been all virtual for years...

bom

I been using Logic for many years, and before that Notator.

Now I just had a first try of Abelton Live 4 yeaterday.

MIDI implementation still leaves a bit to wish for, but it's usable and controller implementation is very good.

The arrangement possiblilities really impressed me when i tried version 3 already, and when it now has MIDI i find it an amazing product.

And of course if you produce in Live to start with it's very easy to quickly put a liveset together where you actually control the arrangement live, which is something i really looked forward to.

And the speed of arranging when producing is very important to me as well, so i don't get bored with the track before it's done.

Anyone who haven't given Live a proper look should do so really.

Takes a little effort to grasp how to work it, but when you do the rewards is great.

I will start using it for DJ'ing as well i think.

It always annoyed me that you can only play two things at the time in Traktor, and although the experience is much less hands on and more complicated with Live it gives great possibilties of incorporating FX and loops in the mix.

And as a bonus people can stop accusing me of playing Mp3 because i use traktor, since Live can't play Mp3 :)

Anyway, thats it..... goodbye to Logic for me now.

Psycle.

And it even ain't a MIDI sequencer ;) (well, except internally for the VSTs though)

203344[/snapback]

I dont know, but perhaps you should read your OTHER posts before you write in another... tsk tsk ;)

Sorry mate, I was very grumpy this morning. Disregard of the above, please!

I was not looking for a new way of making music, I was looking for a way to improve the performance of my setup.

I have however solved the problem with SX2 now, and everything seems to be running fine.

I started with a tracker program myself in the good old days of the C64 hehe (sound tracker, I had it the day it was released in 1987 hehe), and I love it, but its nothing for me anymore I am affraid, because they simply wont let me do what I want to do.

Pro 16 was pretty cool too for the C64 :) After that I stepped into the world of Atari and Cubase though, I believe that was the year 1989. There was Pro 24 from Steinberg for the Atari before that, and I only had a quick look into that and then I started using Cubase :)

Damn this thread gave back some really old memories... good ones as well

Edited by djnemo

• 1 month later...

I started with a tracker program myself in the good old days of the C64 hehe (sound tracker, I had it the day it was released in 1987 hehe), and I love it, but its nothing for me anymore I am affraid, because they simply wont let me do what I want to do.

Pro 16 was pretty cool too for the C64 :) After that I stepped into the world of Atari and Cubase though, I believe that was the year 1989. There was Pro 24 from Steinberg for the Atari before that, and I only had a quick look into that and then I started using Cubase :)

Same here!

Reminds of the days when I used to try and program the beverly hills cop Axel F melody into my Amiga 500 tracker program. hehehe

Reflector :P

Hmm Nemo i havent got any problems with my midi sync @ all and i use 3 of thoose 2 x 2 midisport and the delta 1010LT midi thingy with cubase sx 2 but i have had some problems with it just rebooted my computer then it was fine again dont know what happened but it started to work perfectly again :)