reviews section is worrying

hello

you all know we are very cool with what's written on the reviews and forums, but to some extent we get angry...today children is very angry. so am i.

i want to tell some of you that the reviews section aims at REVIEWING albums, not (over)reacting on other reviews, not insulting people, not writing nonsense.

please keep in mind that that section is not a cool game on which you can let off stream...on a second degree, this section aims at helping people taking a decision whether to buy (or not) some albums.

you know, if the reviews section becomes too bad, people wont come anymore to get an advice, they will only read psyshop's (not so right) comments, and this site will die. i'd rather see one good review, than one good followed by 40 gossips !

till the new reviews system is ready to sort whats good or not, i want you to be as upright as possible and remind what's above.

once again this is only dedicated to some of you. some i would have emailed personnally if they had the courage to write their email... they may not mean harm but they eventually do a lot. please understand our point. thanks.

f. mars.

Guest Chong

The Quartz "reviews" are shocking - all we want are to read reviews of the album.

that was a diatribe of dribble - i'm not sure how the new version of psynews will prevent this from happening again but I sure hope it can!

Guest Setsuko

indeed , the review section is almost destroyed ... 'chaos' said some interesting point in the Quarz review and that is it's always (mostly) the 'minimal' haters that come spread the negativity into a progressive psytrance album/compilation ... and it's always the same intelegent sentence they write ... minimal sucks !!!

but is there a melodic album review full of full-on sucks big time energy...

when i don't like an album (for example fractal glider) i'll never ever spread negative energy in the review section because i won't waste my time with it and i respect the fractal glider guy but his music is simply not my cup of tea...

and IF i would give a more or less negative review i would defenitely say WHY i don't like it ...

i've got a suggestion (to children or somebody else) , if somebody could remove those silly reviews ... but i guess this job is enless , the review section is screwed up :(

yeah, i absolutely agree with the above posts. it's such a pitty that most of the comments in the reviews section aren't really reviews but just pointless comments. i really hope the new version of the reviews section takes care of that...

Guest vasyachkin

i think now we can all agree that its better if some reviews be deleted.

and edit the useful ones to take out replies to useless ones.

just don't let mike D do it. or all minimal reviews will be edited to 0/10

Guest Mike D

Actually I love minmal now, and I think it is great music. Suprised Vas? Do you know that altho 60% of my music collection is psy trance, thr rest comprises from British Pop(Blur, Oasis) to Grunge (Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Pearl Jam) to Pop to classical jazz, to ethnic music to classical to world!.I listen probably to more style of music than half the people on this site. I haven't listened to one psy or chill out cd for the last 12 days because I have been enjoying my jazz and acid jazz so much more, along with my classical cds. At first yes I though minimal was pretty bad, but I shut my mouth for a good month and re-listned to the cd's I won, and it did change my opinion, some I don't like such as Wizzy Noise or Intact Instinct but I would now say I do not enjoy this muisc because... rather than minimal sux or something. If a musician or person bothers to write a track, then they deserve some credit for doing it, but if I don't enjoy it then I will review in a way that explains my feeling reasonably. It is all about being non-personal, this music wasn;'t made for you, it was made for the masses, so if you don't like it, then say why, in an educated way.

And Vas, I am being chilled out now, somaybe you can return the favour?

Guest bugbread

Mars, Children, if you need an objective assistant moderator for reviews, I'm available. I dunno, give me "A-C" or something along those lines, and I can scan through and (even if I dislike the music) probably edit it in an objective manner.

Guest Setsuko

why all this objectivity ??? review with your personal opinion , and if you don't like it ... then say WHY or just say nothing .

ok. not all the reviews but only the crappy ones.

what we are going to do : extract all the reviews, read them (20000+ to read) and choose whether they should stay or not. reviews dealing with the above album will be kept. reviews like "i hate this style" or "i have to buy it" or "you guys are...fools" will be deleted. we wont be too harsh.

this will happen before the summer.

Guest Setsuko

great psychedelic news :)

and what about the anonymous freaks , ok some of them forget to fill in their nick or e-mail but mostly they don't put their e-mail cause of their 'reputation'

Guest Connor

yeah, what you guys need is a better system for the reviews.. some PHP based thing, and you'll want moderators. Trusted people who can delete those posts that don't mean @!#$. I'd be glad to help

I think anonymous posts won't be possible anymore, and people will have to identify to be able to post (through their biography) but I have to see if that's Mars intention too or if it will be present on Psynews Version 3 (cause the log in / log off system asks even more work I guess).

Moreover, in case of someone still writes lots of useless posts, we'll simply remove all the reviews he wrote (even the good ones), in all the pages. Think that will be a good way to make him think twice before writing nonsense posts.

Indeed we'll probably need lots of moderators for this section, cause there's around 20000 reviews already written and around 100 new ones per day right now, which explains why I can't administrate them since 3 months. But, when the system will be a little more automatic to administrate them (thx to PHP), we'll need as much administrators as possible for this section.

Moderators...or censors?? I understand what you guys want to do and I think it's a good idea, but please make sure you don't start deleting any and all negative comments in the review section. Sometimes, I base my decisions on them, or on the balance between negative and positive reviews, or on who was negative or positive. I think people should be allowed to say anything they want, unless they are a complete idiot about it.

Also, the length of a review doesn't have to be really long to be good. Frankly, I prefer the short and concise reviews. I really can't be bothered to read 5000 words on one album. I just want to know the general theme of an album, some standout tracks on it, some stinkers, and whether they liked it or not. So I hope you won't be removing all the shorter but still very useful reviews and only leaving the mamoth track by track, minute by minute, album break downs.

Well "i hate this style" or "i have to buy i" only written on a review are not positive nore negative comments, the first one means "I hate minimal so I hate this album", which is not very objective, and "I have to buy it" can mean the reviewer still didn't listen to it. In both cases these reviews give no argumentation about why he hates or likes it (cause I suppose he didn't wrote anything else that these words in his review) . So why keep it ? Very useless.

Guest mr peculiar

i must say that ive been really happy with the reveiws ive recived for my album

but i definatly know what your talking about guys

people treat the reveiws section like its a message board

and thats silly

we allready have a message board right here !

Guest Taika-Kim

I agree that removing all the pointless messages would be a good idea. Hmm. I wonder if this means removing every Finnish review on the site ;)

I for myself also prefer short and concrete reviews. I only need to know the style the music represents, and maybe, if I with time get to know somebody else's taste, can also trust his/hers subjective opinions on the album.

ARgh. I hope the Fractal Glider album would arrive in Finland soon :) Wihtout the psynews reviews I would propably have missed the whole album since I check out new psy-stuff so rarely these days. (for the usual reason...)

Hey, I even removed all my own record reviews from my site because psynews is doing it all much better ;) (and I didn't want to rewrite all my reviews once every year when my musical taste changes...)

hey people i said we would be objective, and not too harsh.

we wont delete reviews saying an album is bad. this section is mainly about criticism, indeed. reviews marking an album as 'good' or 'bad' will be kept as long as their content respect the artist and others' reviews.

to say it differently, "as long as the review deals objectively with the album on the same page, then the review will be kept"

to say it differently again, "i hate this style" or "i have to buy it" or "you guys are...fools" wont stay on the pages.

to khogg : don't be afraid and read my previous post. we are very sensitive to people's opinions and we thank them everyday for their support, we owe 99% of them....however some reviews have nothing to do on the reviews section and their posts will be deleted. thats all.