Your First Trance

I'm just curious what everyone's first trance cd/vinyl was and what year did you aquire it? My VERY first trance cd didn't happen to be "global underground" commercial @!#$. but as a matter of fact my very first trance cd was...

Juno Reactor - Beyond the Infinate

Aquired in:

I'm a late bloomer (very)

More on me.... I had no idea what juno reactor was untill I fiannaly discovered goa bout a year ago... before that I called it acid trance... but then again juno reactor is undefinable... (but he is NOT acid trance) heheh. Anyway when I fiannaly found goa, it really has changed my life... not dramaticly but @!#$.. now i'm learning to cDJ and have a stack of goa/psy/min cds bout a 1.5 ft high. (yeah i'm american..) My room is transforming it self into a fluro/glowing blue den... and I burn incense regularly :D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was "Hypnotic Trance (2 or 3 or 4 ??)" on Fairway records I think.

Don't have it anymore, but wish I did. It was a double CD. The first one was mixed by Tsuyoshi & the second was mixed by Joti Sidhu. It was fucking wicked. Had songs like Witchcraft-Whale, Transwave-MDMA, Encens-Venus Zen, Etnica-Astral Way, High Score-True Freedom, and more like that. Solid, solid stuff. The very next album I got was Astral Projection's "Trust in Trance ( 3 )"

Never looked back. I still remember being on shrooms with a buddy. We watched a couple movies but were still high. We were looking for something to do. I was like "I've got a couple of new CD's, let's throw them on." That's when the full power of this music really hit me. It gives me chills just thinking about it.

lol my first trance CD was Space Tribe: 2000 O.D.

A friend of mine loaned it to me, said "listen to this @!#$, dude"

I did.

I enjoyed it emmensely, and have since then realized that Space Tribe isn't all that great, but they are responsible for catapulting me into the world of trance

Thanks Space Tribe!!

Albums I borrowed next that drew me in closer:

Chi A.D. - Anno Domini

Tim Schuldt - Singles Collection

Those kick ass for somebody new to the genre

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Guest ~Jonezz~

My first trance-experience was -96 "Mr. Bruno Togni" After Hour 12" (bonzai trance rec.), and think it was Santini and Stephenson RMX that hit, nowadays it sounds very old with its 303-basslines and choir-synths.. but it still could do the job at parties..? Before that I listened a lot of crap like Thunderdomes, dune, charly lownoise & mental theo (uh..) and all kinds of electronic music..

Then via techno, trance, house to jungle and D´n´B.. and finally to Psytrance that I have been into about a year now.. and have to say, this is truly the most interesting genre in UG-Electronica culture..

And it all started at some outdoorparty here in finland.. it´s was an amazing experience to me since I haven`t heard about forestparties before that: A cool spot in deep forest with all those UV-decos hanging from the trees, bizarre music and blaa blaa blaa.. ;)

Well.. I think you all know what I mean..!

wow....this is an interesting topic.

its strange to try to remember what my first real trance album was. i think i may be a bit older than a lot of people on here (just turned 32), and i can tell you its been a long strange jurney to goa. hehe i wont give the first half of my musical life, sufice to say it revolved around pink floyd and 80's metal (iron maiden and stuff like that). i then started to listen to new age...kitaro, philip glass ect. i think the new age was the first step (well actualy floyd was..but i dont count it). then i met a wonderful girl who exposed me to industrial (thanks april...wherever you are). going out with her and hanging out with her friends i was also exposed to a lot of goth and etherial stuff...the later being very important in my evolution towards trance. for anyone who doesnt know etherial is stuff like dead can dance, this mortal coil, coctou twins..just about anything on the 4ad label. that stuff is closely related to new age, so my interest in (for lack of a better term) spiritualy expaning music was revived. now i was (and still am) all about industrial, and if you read the "what is goa?" section of this webste ( <---- loceted over there on the side) then you know a little about industrals influence on trance. so im listening to a ton of skinny puppy and frontline, nitzer ebb, and kmfdm....and i start listening to more and more industral getting deeper into it and coming across more obscure bands (obscure only in the sense that you wont find them in regular music stores...at least not at the time).

then i came across a cd from laibach called kapital. this is some bizzar mix of hard industrail and smooth pumping techno. that really broadened my taste in music and i stated looking for stuff with a more technoish feel...but not techno. of corse i didnt know about trance yet...so i didnt know to look for it. and im the only one out of all my friends who listens to trance at all...so i had no one guiding me (which im greatfull for). one day i was shoping at a used cd store and i saw it.....this strange red cd. i still to this day have no idea why i picked it up but i did. i didnt even listen to it at the store..i just baught it. i went home took a hit of acid and hot bath. when i got out if the bath and the acid was coming on, i put the cd in my stereo...and it was all over. im not even sure if its considered "trance" or not...but i sure as hell think its trance.

air liquide - red

aquired dec. 1996

from there it was a short ride to goa. i like it here...i think ill stay awhile.

Guest Clargoa

My first trance experience was some horrible cheap mid-nineties epic trance(I like the new epic trance though unlike most psy-trance loving people...but I love almost all electronic music genres if it's well produced and not too commercial.). And it really was horrible, the stupid pumping bassline with bad and hollow sounds, high octave melodies through some basic delay etc...BUT I liked it back then(I can't stand it anymore though).

And then I heard psy-trance too because the friend of mine who made me listen to that epic trance also had some early goa/psy-trance. First it was Astral Projection and MFG, then it lead to Hallucinogen and now I have quite a good collection of psy-trance CDs(about 50 original CDs, I know it's nothing compared to most of you I guess...but I'm completely against people who don't buy the music but just listen to MP3s, I use MP3s too but only if it's really hard/impossible to acquire the original).

Hey ouroboros, that's a cool story.

To me, it's fascinating how so many things in life are arrived at by evolutionary process. You can look back and see how one thing led to another, and another, and so on. At the time, you have no idea where it's all going, but the whole time there is a kind of searching going on. Your choices combine with circumstance to create discovery. When that discovery is something like a powerful idea or psytrance, it's very special I think. It can seem like things could not have been any other way.

I was first into heavy metal, then Fear Factory's Remanufacture remix album led me into acid techno. I then got into gabba and hardcore, then happy hardcore. ThenI got into club trance, and at the age of 18 got Tantrance Vol.6 and never looked back :0

I have now about 100 Psy/goa/chill out albums/comps, about 15 full on minimal techno albums, 7 acid techno albums/comps, 15 drumnbass cds, 3 deep house cds and some heavy metal stuff!!

thnx khogg. and youre right they couldnt be any other way i think about that type of stuff all the time...how one seemingly insignificant event could chage your life. i strongly believe in chaos theory. at any given moment posibilities are infinite yet at the same time all past events led directly to the one youre at...the moment you are in is the only result possible given the events of the past...i cant explain it...i love the paradox of it all.

this thread made me think of another question...imma go post it now.

Guest Mindbender

Sri Hari - Rising Sign in 95. But that was the only one of this style (goa or psy) that I was able to find. So it took me all the time until 99 to really find psy. And then I was swept away. Until then I had listened to a mix of all kinds of different music.

Trance (not psy) I started liking back in 94. But after I found psy, I haven't listened to other styles of trance anymore.

Now my record collection is about 700 albums/comps or so, 400 of those being psy. Most of the psy I have on vinyl.

Lauri

Guest Plasmoid

My first Trance cd was "Trance Raver - Chapter 3", bought it 95 it´s a very good album. My first Goa CD:s was the compilations: "Shangri-La" and "Goa Spirit - Hard Psychedelic Trance". getted my hands of them in 96, still very good music.

Guest brandon

first cds, bought together, were Etnica- ALien Protein, and the Eclipse compilation on Twisted. I was walking around in New york City one day, and just so happened to stumble upon this cool looking store, House of Trance, dedicated to nothing but psy/goa. Until then I was totally into punk rock, and hadn't even listened to much electronic anything before. I guess being into punk rock just gave me an appreciation for underground music with a strong culture. From then on I got more and more into this music, and now its what I listen to 90% of the time. Thats my story. Peace!

Guest Stormbringer

From ancient days to today!

1984 DEPECHE MODE "Some Great Reward"

1985 SKINNY PUPPUY/FRONT 242

1986 NITZER EBB

1987 Mix between body and techno, labels = Technodrome International, Zoth Ommog, New Zone, Abfahrt, Future dance (TALLA 2XLC)

1988 ACID HOUSE + more industrial stuff.

1989 NEW BEAT + more industrial stuff.

1990-1991 Went back to the industrial sound, I didn´t like the pre-techno-/commersial rave-sound

1992 TECHNO!!! Overdrive, Labworks, Influence, Music Man, R&S, Force Inc + APHEX TWIN. Bought my first Psy-EP ERECTION "Smoke My Dang-A-Long" from a dj. I paid 250 SEK = 25 Dollar and everybody thought I was crazy. I don´t regret that purchase today!!!

1993-1994 HARDTRANCE (Harthaus etc) and COLOGNE-ACID (Dj.ungle Fever etc) WALKER, JAMMIN´UNIT, BIOCHIP C, GIZZ TV etc. + THOMAS HECKMANN and HARDFLOOR. I didn´t like the early Goa-sound!!!

1995 or early 1996 Got my hands on a dj-tape from Dj Morg (Katayama/Spiral Trax) and I really liked one track, KAAYA "Ormazd"

1997 FLYING RHINO, DRAGONFLY etc UX, EMPIRION, DARSHAN etc.

1998 A lot of PSY and a lot of Industrial stuff.

1999 STOCKHOLM-TECHNO (Lekebusch and Co) A lot of PSY and a lot of Industrial stuff too.

2000 A LOT OF PSY some Techno and a lot of Industrial.

2001 VERY VERY MUCH PSY and a lot of Industrial

So the first record I consider to be PSY-TRANCE that I bought was E-RECTIONs "Smoke My Dang-A-Long" in 1992 but the track that really got me hooked was KAAYAs "Ormazd" from 1995.

I liked the "story" made by "Ouroboros (---.nyc.rr.com)" by the way. That´s what made me write down this comments about my way into the PSY-SCEENE.

Stormbringer

Guest bugbread

My first CD was a compilation (don't remember the title, but good tracks - Hallucinogen "Gamma Goblins" was a big Wow), but I DO remember the first time I heard Goa. I wasn't listening to techno then, but lots of Japanese noise and stuff like Mr. Bungle, as well as Cocteau Twins and They Might Be Giants. A friend of a friend was a DJ and spun really REALLY fucked up jungle, which I thought was music from heaven. He also played some really good acid techno, which I loved. I'd heard about Goa, so I was imagining really complex tabla rhythms and effects with indian instruments. The guy played me a track or two and I was crestfallen. The "bap-pa-pu-pada-pap-padada-pap-pa-pa" rhythym I was expecting turned out a single bass drum on each beat. You have no idea how disappointed I was. It wasn't till years later, listening to a CD in a listening station at Tower Records trying to find a good acid CD that I stumbled across the compilation and thought "WoW".

• 4 years later...