Robert Miles - Organik
Salt Records, 2001
Review Intro: Soft remains of the sun beams run around my room in one wide flow, waiting till they will dissapear so I can make a step into the dusk. First days of the autumn, I'm looking for some inspiring adventures into the sound. This is not the first time I'm going to play this cd, but now I will go deeper into the dark territories of organic expressions of sound.
01. TSBOL My first step into the bizarre world starts here... Deep pad sounds morphing into orchestral score, a feeling of something mysterious, this could fit any spy movie. The morphing sounds plus the screamy flute sound keep on moving around the ears while the beat is broken, feels like it plays with you. Very imaginary.
02. Separation The rhythm had come, the percussion sounds layered with some kind of metal sound that actually talks with you. It feels very funky now, moving slowly but surely while the distorted guitar comes. Stop. Here it comes again. Dissapears. Now let's back to the groove.
03. Paths I hear some female voice talking somewhere there in the deep. This song contains amazing vocals (by Nina Rocha Miranda), hypnotical sarangi sounds (by Shruba Ghosh), jazzy bassline and smooth percussion lines. "Many paths to take, I hope to find my freedom again...". She's defenetly lost but the music will lead her into the right place. I feel it.
04. Wrong I think I went to the wrong path...? Very asian feel in here, might be I'm in the lost city far out in the east. Amazing and masterfull guitar leaks (by Nitin Sawhney) with other ethnic strings is a very powerfull combo, it feels very spiritual. So maybe I came to wrong place, but my soul got inspired.
05. It's All Coming Back Slowly I'm getting back to reality. The bass is deep, it's all surrounded by high frequecny sounds. Here comes the lead sound, very futursitic, followed by a distorted guitar. Future funk.
06. Pour Te Parler Keeping on the funk experiences. Very thrilling. Emotional string sounds and the moving bassline keeps me on. It stops in the middle, clear acoustic guitar comes, playing some chilling motive. Then the groove is back, and I'm again on the thriller track.
07. Trance Shapes Let the rock begin. Begins with a hard driven guitar leads with a various vocals around. Then comes the floor shaking bassline, and when the first kick drum is hitted - the guitar lead is on. Half breaks, half dance rhythm with the guitar leads till the end. On this part of the journey I'm still in the year 2023.
08. Connections Now it's the time to find some connections between the previous happenings. I'm here to find the truth. but I feel someone is chasing me. The screamy disted sounds make me feel like some kind of evil power is around me. Relaxing in the middle, but not for long, the chase begins again. Very confusing track. I will not manage to find the reasons...
09. Release Me I found a divinity again. This place - I've been here before. If you wonder I'm at eastern part of the world again. Many asian ethnic instruments with one groovy bassline. A big variety of sounds here, by the end of the tune comes the strength guitar. I'm free again.
10. Improvisations Part 1 No more loudness. Only relaxed deep sounds that touch my body. Some weird dizzy noises try to get me out of depth but I only let the drums to wake me up. Chilling.
11. Improvisations Part 2 I woke up by the sound of fretless bass (by Bill Laswell). Weird human vocals flowing around while other vocals make some mouth grooves. It's like being in a mirror room, different reflections from different courners.
12. Endless The final episode. It has some psychedelic groove in it, the sounds keep on moving around. It ends up with an ethnic lead into the deep. End? No.
Review Outro: This album is an amazing journey into something different, epic. No formulas and no rules. Elements of funk, jazz, alternative rock and movie themes. Discover the radical side of yours!
Cover Art: 9/10
Album Concept: 9/10
Overall Rating: 9.5/10
Review by ND. ProSectoirum