Harsh reviews ;)

Basilisk have talked about people involved into reviewing who nearly always tell very positive things on releases for fear of matters for promo deal, i don't know to whom if he was thinking to indeed.

But personally i think that you correspond to his description but since a very few time, it's not your explantion on abandonning marking especially that will make me change my mind  :D

197372[/snapback]

I know what Scott is saying... And we all know, that the fear of all reviewers is loosing their promo-deals... Whenever I receive something bad, I often refrain from reviewing it - or simply give it a bad mark... I can give you several examples of that! But accusing me of hyping bad stuff for the sake of keeping my promo-deal is outrageous, and I find it highly insulting! And quite frankly, I find it very interesting to see, that allegedly we only differ 2 marks out of 10 on the above mentioned reviews... !? Couldn't you at least have found better examples to back your case against me? Come on Lotus - gimme something more that just home-brewed theories...

DeathPosture

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

i've updated-edited my previous message several times, so you didn't see i was mentionning it's was concerning you since just a few time , that's why i won't give you more or better example :D

I’m no master at English, and I’ve “only” received 5 promo-CD’s during the last years. Psytekk from USTA (which I graded 6,5, and I haven’t received any more promos from them - hehe), Igneous Sauria and Genetic Spin on CreamCrop (which I graded 8 and 7) and the Son Kite album “Colours” + “On Air Remixes” (graded 9,5 and 9 – and that was certainly not exaggerating).

How do you get those promos anyways? Although forums like psynews and isratrance are relatively well known, do the labels really get their money back from sending a promo to a reviewer at one of these places? Sure, sometimes there are +20-30 comments, but usually it’s the same crowd of insiders (at isratrance anyways, I haven’t used the psynews forum that much) commenting. Do we really just write these reviews for a small, closed circle of people, or are there a big bunch of people reading along, and ultimately buying the cd’s when they’ve read a positive review?

I’m no master at English, and I’ve “only” received 5 promo-CD’s during the last years. Psytekk from USTA (which I graded 6,5, and I haven’t received any more promos from them - hehe), Igneous Sauria and Genetic Spin on CreamCrop (which I graded 8 and 7) and the Son Kite album “Colours” + “On Air Remixes” (graded 9,5 and 9 – and that was certainly not exaggerating).

How do you get those promos anyways? Although forums like psynews and isratrance are relatively well known, do the labels really get their money back from sending a promo to a reviewer at one of these places? Sure, sometimes there are +20-30 comments, but usually it’s the same crowd of insiders (at isratrance anyways, I haven’t used the psynews forum that much) commenting. Do we really just write these reviews for a small, closed circle of people, or are there a big bunch of people reading along, and ultimately buying the cd’s when they’ve read a positive review?

197403[/snapback]

First and foremost: Pr0fane - your reviews are always a pleasure to read... I'm amazed by your musical insights - you're like an encyclopedia ... ;o)

Yes - we are a closed circle of people - and to that extent our reviews are aimed at a very narrow group of people... But actually I consider that a good thing - we can use all our efforts on going deeper into the music, the receivers already know... And personally I like writing to other affecionados... We have common ground, and the same frame of reference...

About labels sending promos out to a selected bunch of people - Yes, I am 100% confident it pays off for them - at least when it's good stuff they release... I've had my reviews featured on a bunch of label's sites and also on saikosounds.com - and I consider that a great honour, 'cause as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm by no means a professional reviewer - I'm just your Joe Average, who happens to write a couple of reviews every once and again... My way of contributing to the scene... Isratrance and Psynews are the biggest sites, but there are many others... I also post my reviews on SonicBlend.com, Psy-forum.co.uk, Ektoplazm.com, Par-2.com and Trance.net + a few on Psymag.com

DeathPosture

Posted Image

the worst site for this is probably Psyshop... if you must believe their texts EVERY release is groundbreaking and the best ever...

anyway, I feel the same as some others, it is very hard to read objective reviews these days, not only for cd-releases, but also for parties... And telling your own truth can make people really angry, so I think it is better to shut up sometimes :)

I think the best way of having a good picture of a cd is:

-ask friends what they think of it (they will be honest)

-listen to the samples on Psyshop

-or you download one song of it (Which I don't, but it is a good way anyway)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

the worst site for this is probably Psyshop... if you must believe their texts EVERY release is groundbreaking and the best ever...

anyway, I feel the same as some others, it is very hard to read objective reviews these days, not only for cd-releases, but also for parties... And telling your own truth can make people really angry, so I think it is better to shut up sometimes :)

I think the best way of having a good picture of a cd is:

-ask friends what they think of it (they will be honest)

-listen to the samples on Psyshop

-or you download one song of it (Which I don't, but it is a good way anyway)

197434[/snapback]

hum that's not so sure...

Just imagine one of your friend is very closed to an artist or a label, does his perception won't be influenced or impacted?

:)

• 1 month later...

well i sure like my free promos :)

every now and then i do come across an album i don't bother reviewing cos the review wouldn't come out too golden and so..

i sort of try not to say "buy buy buy happy happy joy joy cos it's bloody good" (unless it's twisted release ofcourse) but to tell a little about the album.. like what is it similar to and what does it remind me of and so on..

by the way don't you guys get fan mail ????  <_<

i had to add wow, awesome review, you rock, your genius and that sort of words/phrases to my inbox filter  :lol:

201684[/snapback]

Yeah, I've gotten quite a lot of fan mail too... And the ultimate kick: a special mention in a CD-booklet... Positive feedback like that always makes my day and brings a big old smile on my face... :) And inspires me to continue doing what I'm doing...

DP

Yeah, I've gotten quite a lot of fan mail too... And the ultimate kick: a special mention in a CD-booklet... Positive feedback like that always makes my day and brings a big old smile on my face...  :)  And inspires me to continue doing what I'm doing...

DP

201787[/snapback]

Le Lotus Bleu, got some mails from me!

this guy rules

love his reviews

always know how to review any kind of music.

sometimes i like his reviews more than the cds :D

AND NOW I WANT TO SAY TO "DP" THE SAME AND IN PUBLIC, MANNNN YOU RULES!!!

I READ MOST OF YOUR REVIEWS WITH FULL JOY, I GOT INSPIRED TO LISTEN TO THE MUSIC AFTER READING UR INSPIRING REVIEW, KEEP UP!

[...]

AND NOW I WANT TO SAY TO "DP" THE SAME AND IN PUBLIC, MANNNN YOU RULES!!!

I READ MOST OF YOUR REVIEWS WITH FULL JOY, I GOT INSPIRED TO LISTEN TO THE MUSIC AFTER READING UR INSPIRING REVIEW, KEEP UP!

202150[/snapback]

Well thank you very much... Much obliged! ;o)

DP

err... must I remind everyone that this is supposed to be a REVIEWS section? All debates are welcome in the Off-topic or General sections...

202163[/snapback]

Sure - but it's still better to keep this chit-chat in a single thread than start a new one isn't it? Perhaps move this thread to off-topic?

DP

Whoa, this is still flying?

:P

Don't worry about it so much guys... I guess I got to the point where I'm so far out that I'll just take my time and let my own ears decide. Then again, there has been a lot of releases I've really enjoyed this year so I haven't been too desperate looking for goodies :)

DP's good - provides those quicker assessments which can really help you figure out whats worth a look or not... there are a few different approaches you can take when reviewing - try and point out what others might find good about the release and keep it positive, or you can go more solely with your own individual taste and trust others to recognize that it's just one person's opinion. Both methodologies can be helpful... for example, the wide reviewer can identify music of many styles which could be good to many people, whereas the specific reviewer can identify music of more specific styles to people who have a similar taste. I've been leaning way over into the latter style, just reviewing with my taste.

I think a large problem with regards to reviewing today is simply that so much psytrance is 'ho-hum', like it's ok, nothing terribly and obviously wrong with it (which is, I believe, in contrast to how reviewing was 5 years ago - when many bad releases did have obvious flaws). These days a release can be considered bad if it's sorta mediocre, usually from the perspective of someone who hears a lot of the same stuff. Good point to think about - if you listen to all the full-on that comes out you'll find most of it to totally suck simply cuz its all so similar. Compare to a person who just gets an odd CD once in a while through the local shop and so only hears maybe five or ten releases in the style - the power and energy is sure to delight and the issue with repetition and homogenization is totally unknown to them. I don't even try reviewing those compilations jam packed with GMS clones any more - what's the point? If you're new to the style it might sound excellent - my ears are just totally burnt out on it so there's no point. But conceivably I could review it from a slightly more objective vantage point and detail what is good about such a release - then you might end up with a sort of wishy-washy review that may be of help to a wider audience, but won't be any good for that specific audience which truly shares some of my taste in psytrance.

OK so this might not make too much sense... I tend to ramble a lot. If you catch my newer reviews, well some are like 80 lines of text. Take that as a contrast to DP's concise and often more worldly style of reviews - often that's more useful for potential buyers, whereas my treatises may be of interest to idealogues and those more interested in post-purchase consideration of a release? I don't know. Reviews can have many intents, just as reading reviews can have many purposes. The lines are getting crossed here sometimes I think! *ramble* :ph34r: