Harsh reviews ;)

Its not that hard to find out whats good... but what should a person avoid? It seems that in the recent years a person making a review staked their personal reputation on their words or something, whereas reviews used to be mostly flippant off-the-cuff responses, sometimes from people who weren't "qualified" or aware of the big picture or anything... well where are these reviews? People don't want to be lynched on isratrance, the regular review squad doesn't want to lose their incoming promo deals, and so I figure here may be the place. Let us all know what new releases are sucking in your stereo... no one has to believe what you say, of course, but maybe it could help... cuz there is a LOT coming out.

What's not living up to the hype?

well I say it out loud when i thing something sucks :) I usually put my words in trance.net (nick Darc Angelo)... but I guess that the main problem is that we're still waiting for a decent reviewing site where releases are separated into different years (like the review section on this site before it froze...). I agree that ass-licking in reviews just to get free CDs is really distorting the picture of new releases out there...

SMI²LE

Guest healium

Prometheus - "Robot-O-Chan - I don't care what anyone says this is an extremely mediocre and dull album... One of the lamest albums I've ever heard...

FREq- "Strange Attractors" - Good but not THAT good!

Son Kite - "Colours" - Beautifully produced and a nice sound but it's soooo simple and thus has little staying power - I got tired of this album after about about a week. Son Kite uses like, 5 different sounds in the whole album, it's so bland, like squash or rice or tofu...

No promo deals for me ;)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I just listen to the Broken compilation too & it's not my cup of tea btw it's a concept about breakbeat ,broken beat & it's clearly announced as not to be a regular Timecode compilation;so it's difficult to bash it as it's also an effort from the label providing new musical trance perspectices in a way...

99-2004 is totally forgettable crapepy amateur releases (except few)!!!!!!! 1993-98 maybbe a bit more innovative and better sounding (analog synths and mixer + some old vintae gadgets).. and older more experienced producerds/musians made some fresh new musc... but it seem to bee over noow. just my humble drunken opinion.. :P ..cheers guys/gals... :) ps. sorry maybr I wanen a bit off topic... :P

I somethimes wonder iif I should writh some album reviews.... it's just that they would be totally basshing the artist ans I would most likely give something like 3/10 ratings to most of the realelreases. Would somebody actulaly want to read reviesw like that? .. .sorru for tryping errps... im a bit drunk and some more... ceheers fellas... ;P

Guest healium

Let me say too I'm finding myself dissapointed with A LOT of progressive stuff because most progressive I hear isn't zany and psychedelic.

Music can be quite progressive and still be VERY psychedelic (like Hux Flux - "Division by Zero", Wizzy Noise - "Cyclotron", Beat Bizarre - "Pandora Groovebox") but most progressive/minimal stuff I hear these days lacks the wierd and the wild which everyone loves about "old-school" goa and psytrance ala Hallucinogen or Koxbox...

I'm not sure exactly why this is - progressive trance could just as easily be made with zany and wild sounds and melodies as it is made with conservative and uptight sounds and melodies...

When I hear a release is "progressive trance" I automatically think "conservative trance", which is a shame cause just because it's progressive doesn't mean it would have to be conservative..

Well I think Freq - Strange Attractors is that good.

I would agree that Son Kite - Colors sounds good at first but a lot of tracks progress very slowly in parts and have not enough layers. It's still a good purchase for me, but I find myself only wanting to really listen to the last 3 tracks or so.

Polaris... don't bother.

Abakus - That Much Closer to the Sun not ground breaking but a real nice varied mellow happy chill cd.

Nano - Origin is a pretty solid compilation with a couple wicked songs, a few good ones, and one or two rather boring tracks. I would say my favorite track on here is The Electric Ant - First Run (Commercial Hippies Remix).

Nano - Wind Up opens with nice Talamasca track, follows with a super dull plodding Tristan track, then comes a couple of ho hum scratchy darker tracks (eh...), it picks up a bit at track 5, and then I quite like the last four tracks.

As a general comment on Nano, these last two compilations of theirs are good but not as great as their earlier ones I think (which were so solid). I hope this is just a blip on the radar screen and they will follow with another Emergence or Clarity so to speak.

And I must add that I really like sound of the Commerial Hippies whenever I hear them. I'm curious if they will release a full album. It could be quite good.

Guest BrettFromTibet

yeah....fuck the promo deals....i remember when people would just honest...and say it sucked! l kind of miss it too - although the dignified reviews has it's charm. now if someone has an issue with a sound, or doesn't like some tracks.. they are "totally off their head".

On Isratrance, they have to Apoligize to label manaer for not saying the CD brought them an orgasmic peak experience within 4 seconds of pressing play...and use the words "respect" 6 times to smooth things over..

------------------

now to be real honest, i've liked most of what i've bought this year! But there are a few doubtful shadow thoughts lurking in my mind also.

- Tikal is really good for this summer, but their CD will not be a classic

- NEuromotor isin't as psychedeic as some people make 'em out to be...

over-rated semi-psy techo.

- Goa gil is the longest-winded and harshest DJ in the world these days, but I have serious questions over whether that qualifies him as the greatest....

- Carbon Based Lifeorms is good, but not necessarily ground breaking....Ultimae has a really fine porcelin sound....but sometimes its not so compleling or accessable repeated listening....

- the REviews written by traveller and Pr0fane are pretty good and informative, the ones you find on www.trance.net don't tell me much...

- Tiesto isin't "the greatest DJ in the World" either, in my book.

- recomendations by Sasha, John "00" Flemming or Paul Vyn Dyk

on a new scandanavian LP doesn't really get my blood pressure cranking.

- of all the groups with psy-trance origins, why is Infected Mushroom so much of a mainstram rage of a hit?

Guest Slinker

Anyone that thinks Prometheus album is `dull and mediocre` should actually listen to it! its one of the best albums ive heard in a long time. Hearing it live also was one of the best acts ive ever seen, i havent bounced around that much in ages....

All i hear about these days is `the music isnt as good as it used to be...bitch bitch` look at the releases weve had this year already and whats coming! i havent bought a shit CD for ages...etc

Rinkadink, Misted Muppet, Lemurians, Void, Ultravoice, Son Kite....SUPERB!

and whats coming Shpongle 3! Hallucinogen Vs Eat Static! to name a couple

i also agree that prometheus sucks,,,,

also son kite is very boring,, i had some drinks with a girl and i put it on the cd player, (the colours cd),, and i really had to change the cd it wasnt really helping with the mood,, then i played the FREQ cd and the everything was 10000 times better...

about rinkadink,,, i love that cd,,,

i also love pandoras groovebox cd!!! great great one...

Guest Nefarious

Well said Slinker! I really could care less about the Prometheus album, however all this senseless bloody whining about currrent releases is so pathetic I'm unsure whether to laugh or cry!

Check the Serephana comp, Psy yours 2, Rinkadink, the Giiwa comp, the Phi album, the xatrik album, the digi psi earth comp, the Doof EST comps, the Entropy album, the Digital Talk album, the Inpsyde comp there is no tomorrow and the Zen 2 comp! Plus more!

I do love reviews that have an honest vibe though, good or bad. Hope to see the days of reviews on this site where 1000 word essays are alongside two words of honesty!

Cant wait to hear the Misted Muppet!

Totally agree with the "conservative trance" remark! haha! I always hated that people would even deem that kind of music as being "progressive" anyways. Its more like degressive then anything else but conservative would fit it better.

• 2 weeks later...

Four Carry Nuts: "Mechanical Age" is quite interesting. So as Human Blue: "Electrolux". Eventualy things start to go in a good way. This year's releases are much better then the previus year's. I hope the new tracks from Twisted will be relesed soon.

Yes, music descended a lot past years but it developed on some other levels. I can say that there are some new releases that are pretty good and a bit in old style - WIZZY NOISE - STEREO ELECTRIC, great album, if not the best this year...JOTI SIDHU's new album, SPACE CAT - MECHANICAL DREAM, SURIA - LOGICAL EVOLUTION, psychedelic piece, JUPITER 8000 - TWISTED BLISS, Boris Blenn new melodic album, Spun compilation UTOPIA is pretty good too. There is one remix I respect most this year and that is John OO Fleming's Remix for Mahadeva. What an emotional piece of music and at the same time some kind of rework. Pretty refreshing. I hope that the artists will start again and refresh our minds with more melodies and harmonies we all miss a lot.

- the REviews written by traveller and Pr0fane are pretty good and informative

65251[/snapback]

Thanks a lot – I try to be as objective as possible when I review, although I mainly review albums/compilations that I like. I agree about Traveller by the way – although he is a bit of a twisted-wh0re :D

Other good reviewers on Isratrance are in my opinion DeathPosture, basilisk, Le Lotus Bleu, KakoOlalaJwal, Dai, sam i am, krelm, aje, Surrender and Templar – just to name a few. Most of the first reviews of Israeli full on releases are mostly “look, I’m the first to get the unreleased killer promo!!! 11/10!!!” shit – don’t believe the hype.

And yeah – fuck the promo deals! (I hardly receive any promos – gimme some more! ;))

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Would you care to elaborate on that Lotus? Merci...

DP

197360[/snapback]

2 examples of leeched review from you in order to keep promo bizness according to me : Etic's album & Huva network one also

2 examples of leeched review from you in order to keep promo bizness according to me : Etic's album & Huva network one also

197365[/snapback]

Really? :blink:

2 albums that we both reviewed - but you graded them 2 marks lower than me...

Did you see the other reviews that H.U.V.A. Network got? Everyone was pretty impressed and so was I - and I still am... Same goes with the new Aes Dana album, which is an absolute corker... Believe me, when there is something I do not like, I tell it as it so - or choose not to review it at all... But honestly - I reserve the right, to praise stuff I really like... !

And about Etic... Well, I'm sorry that you do not like this album... But I do - when I first played it, I was anticipating the usual boring, standard Israeli full-on, but what I got was an proggy jewel that I thouroughly enjoyed - and my review reflected that... What's wrong with that? You even stated in your own review that maybe some hardcore proggy lovers will enjoy it more than me ... Exactly - that's the way it works with taste!

I have no intention of getting on your bad side Lotus - most of time, I value your reviews, but I don't really understand what you're trying to acomplish with this? I admit, that my some of my early reviews are a bit enthusiastic, but I'm still learning - trying to adjust... Please bear in mind, that I'm just your average Joe, that enjoys writing reviews... I'm not affiliated with any labels or shops or distributor... I'm just a dude, who contributes to the scene by writing the odd review now and then... I get many nice comment, and that's the force that drives me and inspires me to write more... As I imagine is the driving force behind your reviews as well?

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've completely abandoned my rating system where I used to mark out of 10... I had too many above 5/10 (as a quick search on your reviews reveals that you also have)...

Once again, let me stress, that I respect your opinion Lotus - I'm just not sure I follow you? Yes, I recieve promos - but that does not entail a good review... I can give you plenty of examples of that if you want...

DeathPosture

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

it wasn't necesarry to make such a long speech, no aim for making stress anybody, i was just giving an opinion to basilisk's topic, btw i'm not convinced by all your bla-bla <_<

Really?  :blink:

2 albums that we both reviewed - but you graded them 2 marks lower than me...

Did you see the other reviews that H.U.V.A. Network got? Everyone was pretty impressed and so was I - and I still am... Same goes with the new Aes Dana album, which is an absolute corker... Believe me, when there is something I do not like, I tell it as it so - or choose not to review it at all... But honestly - I reserve the right, to praise stuff I really like... !

And about Etic... Well, I'm sorry that you do not like this album... But I do - when I first played it, I was anticipating the usual boring, standard Israeli full-on, but what I got was an proggy jewel that I thouroughly enjoyed - and my review reflected that... What's wrong with that? You even stated in your own review that maybe some hardcore proggy lovers will enjoy it more than me ... Exactly - that's the way it works with taste!

I have no intention of getting on your bad side Lotus - most of time, I value your reviews, but I don't really understand what you're trying to acomplish with this? I admit, that my some of my early reviews are a bit enthusiastic, but I'm still learning - trying to adjust... Please bear in mind, that I'm just your average Joe, that enjoys writing reviews... I'm not affiliated with any labels or shops or distributor... I'm just a dude, who contributes to the scene by writing the odd review now and then...  I get many nice comment, and that's the force that drives me and inspires me to write more... As I imagine is the driving force behind your reviews as well?

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've completely abandoned my rating system where I used to mark out of 10... I had too many above 5/10 (as a quick search on your reviews reveals that you also have)...

Once again, let me stress, that I respect your opinion Lotus - I'm just not sure I follow you? Yes, I recieve promos - but that does not entail a good review... I can give you plenty of examples of that if you want...

DeathPosture

197367[/snapback]

it wasn't necesarry to make such a long speech, no aim for making stress anybody, i was just giving an opinion to basilisk's question, btw i'm not convinced by all your bla-bla  <_<

197369[/snapback]

Well, if that's all you have to say, then I rest my case... But how do you expect me to react when I see my name mentioned in such a context? And when I speak up for myself, all you can say is that you're not convinced? What kind of debate is that?

:blink:

DeathPosture

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Basilisk have talked about people involved into reviewing who nearly always tell very positive things on releases for fear of matters for promo deal, i don't know to whom if he was thinking to indeed.

But personally i think that you correspond to his description but since a very few time, it's not your explantion on abandonning marking especially that will make me change my mind :D

(It's evident that abandonning marking contributes making reviews more conciliating don't you think?)

Well, if that's all you have to say, then I rest my case... But how do you expect me to react when I see my name mentioned in such a context? And when I speak up for myself, all you can say is that you're not convinced? What kind of debate is that?

:blink:

DeathPosture

197371[/snapback]