Psynews on Soundcloud?

What if Psynews would create its own Soundcloud account? I think it would be fun, if we arrange something in the music production section. So that everyone who wants could submit a track and a digital community compilation of sorts could be created on Soundcloud.  "A Taste of Psynews Sampler" or something to that effect, "Psynews Compilation Promo"  Just an idea, and then  perhaps put a link to it on the bottom of the forum or in the top banner. :D 

The idea came when I listened to a very nice old compilation which I think was a forum effort:

https://www.discogs.com/release/6654748-Various-Midnight-Garden-vs-Abstract-Garden

Obviously Psynews has done similar things in the past with a real CD press if I remember correctly. Soundcloud just seems so effortless for the task from what I can see.

The tracks could be selected based on a forum user poll. In the spirit of a community project. So that everyone who would contribute would do their best. 

The only two things I think would need some external effort besides the Souncloud platform, would be mastering and some artwork.

• Like 1

Yeah just throwing some ideas around. :D Maybe there's still hope left. Or maybe Psynews is destined to become like Atlantis? I hope people will have some fond memories of this place when it's no more. Oh well the world at large will probably soon be a gigantic Atlantis...

Yeah I definitely think your mastering would be of great service. I could do some artwork in Midjourney.

My train of thought went something like this: Seeing that people are indeed still posting tracks in the promo section. I thought it a good idea to incentivize or create some challenge that could become a venue of inspiration. I always think challenges can draw out some extra motivational effort from people, when it comes to art.

And I also think it would be fun! You know an interesting theme. Or like the above mentioned compilation, which utilized different themes per "CD". I.E, dark vs light, morning vs night, slow vs fast etc etc. The typical Goa/Psy staples by now. :) 

And I also reasoned along the lines, what could the legacy of this forum be? In what ways could the soul of Psynews continue to flame on, if indeed forums definitely becomes obsolete. And Soundcloud is one platform which atleast for now, has somekind of combined social focal point on music, for listeners and producers alike. Even if it too of course isn't immune to the ever spinning wheel of time.

It could perhaps be Psynews swan song. If so, why not go out with a bang. So that there's something echoing of this place, in the Halls of Amnesia in the future.

2 hours ago, DoktorG said:

"Halls of Amnesia" would be a great name... 

Hehe yes indeed. I took some liberty in inspiration from the Halls of Amenti. I envisioned all the current Psy-heads enshrined in some temple in the future. Like old relics from the past. Which might not be far from the truth, the genre might become just a digital memory in the future in some big AI-mind.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:46 AM, DoktorG said:

"Halls of Amnesia" would be a great name... 

or we can go even cheesier and call it something like " Akashic Records " (all hidden, forgotten and future/past knowledge) . or " Library of Alexandria " (knowledge that has been forgotten/deleted by time)

but maybe thats just too much damn cheese at once. i suppose starting with the actual music would be better than thinking of names - _ - 

so, where/how do we start, whats the practicals here

• Like 1

Yeah "Akashic Records" did cross my mind. I wondered if there was a psytrance album called this and indeed there is: a Cosmosis compilation called "Akashic" came out in 2005. There's plenty of other Akashics from the 1960s etc. But I rejected the title as a bit too obvious, though it does have appeal. I didn't, however, think of "Library of Alexandria", which also has an appeal. 

I think that the title does count: if we have a concept to work with, then curation can begin. I like the idea of a dusty temple full of indecipherable relics, some memorial left behind by a long-vanished species. Like something out of Alien: Prometheus. Ok, on the cheesier end it is Tombraider drek, but even then It would certainly lend itself to some cool art and purple prose.

This is all somewhat ironic as trance generally was often futuristic and some of it marketed itself as "future music", even scifi music. As the saying goes "there's nothing so dated as yesterday's future"... 😅

Tomb Raider now that's funny. 😁 Yeah Prometheus I love and Alien Covenant too. Btw on the theme of the decline in the forum activity. I've noticed that many of the labels that used to be a big part of the forum, have ceased to post updates here. I can't blame them though, how many platforms should one post the same basic information anyhow?

I don't know my current mood is kinda let's go with this ship like a Promethean Titantic. Maybe we'll sink to Atlantis and can do some underwater excavations Tomb Raider style with Angelina Jolie. 🤭

On the theme of the Akashic Records, maybe we should channel Edgar Cayce and see what the future of Psynews and Psytrance in general is. Let's just hope there'll be no more dubstep please. 🙏🏼 

@astralprojection

When I restart my Midjourney account we could create a topic here in the offtopic/art section or something or in this same thread just brain storming some art ideas and what not. Maybe some track ideas, I have a couple of different sketches/finalized tracks in different styles. Some dark melodic "spooky" themed psytrance, some dark cosmic goa, and some new agey oriental goa cheese, which I'm not in the mood for right now (rainy late summer/autumn vibes here). And some regular euphoric trance, but that's kinda offtopic anyways.

One idea I have for a compilation is a new age cult vibe, infused with cosmic adoration. For this theme I envision something clean and clear, divine and exalted. Perhaps white base color with gold details. If you've played the Dead Space games and seen the designs for the Unitology cult in that game you'll understand.

Perhaps one side of the compilation could be like that, and the other beeing a more dark sinister journey into some alien hostile dimension.

20 hours ago, DoktorG said:

I think that the title does count: if we have a concept to work with, then curation can begin. I like the idea of a dusty temple full of indecipherable relics, some memorial left behind by a long-vanished species.

yes, dusty old relics ala Stargate seems appropriate. the tracknames could be something like

Library of Alexandria - Book 3: Tome of .... 

or Halls of Akashic Records - Item 2: Sphere/Stone/Gem of ....

or something similar. i mean, since we're going for cheese why not 😃

@Parasphere

I am very familiar with the dead space games. Love them. But that thing/cult must have slipped my mind or slipped my playthroughs :)

anyway, something ancient and hidden seems like a cool theme. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:48 AM, Parasphere said:

Halls of Amnesia

Sometimes a good title can create magic and honestly I think this is one of the best I've seen. 

I don't know how much help I could be or if there is a place for me here but any promo stuff that could help I'd be happy to do what I can. 

This forum has been pretty instrumental for my love of the music so I'd love to help if I can. 

I can reach out to some label owners as well to see if they went to put some tracks forward or let the artists who release with them know about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, astralprojection said:

yes, dusty old relics ala Stargate seems appropriate. the tracknames could be something like

Library of Alexandria - Book 3: Tome of .... 

or Halls of Akashic Records - Item 2: Sphere/Stone/Gem of ....

or something similar. i mean, since we're going for cheese why not 😃

@Parasphere

I am very familiar with the dead space games. Love them. But that thing/cult must have slipped my mind or slipped my playthroughs :)

anyway, something ancient and hidden seems like a cool theme. 

The lore for the Unitology cult in the Dead Space games is really cool and well fleshed out. It takes some basic inspirations from Scientology and some other real-life cults/religions. And adds a dark cosmic twist to it. The Unitology cult is centered around Michael Altman and The Black Marker (alien artifact). 

Some of the in-game brainwash pertaining to the Unitology cult:

6750251B-9B0A-43B8-9127-D4703179A6F8.webp

14767FAB-595C-421F-9558-8539DC58A68C.webp

6A725AB0-5979-44C8-BC2F-0689C24965C2.webp

5C0169FE-E762-41F8-83C5-32892F64F686.webp

4C8D5767-8924-4218-A0A9-6E5E89FE2D2E.webp

The Secret Library of NHJO. Btw were is he? Our guiding light, I miss the days when he posted his epic webcam  virtuoso keyboard anthems. Those were the days, and when PsychedelicSuperbeast used to create some funny weird vibes here. 😄 

Everybody retired from the Psynews scene, they got burned out.

Halls of Amnesia

My name is Nyx. I’ve been a planetary anthropologist for 3000 of my 5023 years. My most puzzling and psychedelic assignment without doubt was being posted to planet Earth in the Solar System to report on the discovery of a miraculously preserved temple in the jungle of a coastal region of what was called India, a place called Goa. Earth had been through various catastrophes, including a radiation disaster, runaway desertification and warming, followed by four ice ages and a meteor strike since the builders of the temple had lived. There were few remnants of these builders, a bipedal simian species who called themselves "humans". Nevertheless, the state of preservation of the temple was remarkable; by some twist of fate the crenelated ceiling composed of mysterious twirling shapes and fractal patterns of inscrutable esoteric design had survived the vicissitudes of disasters. The letters A-M-N-E-S-I-A were inscribed over the lintel of the entrance. Even more remarkably, under a thick beard of dust I found this ancient and crude yet ingenious technology, which via reverse engineering I managed to reanimate. I presented the findings to the Pangalactic Council and the rest is a matter of public record: the 7 “songs” found on this gnomic yet extremely exciting and energising recording were leaked and became a transgalactic hit, which as you know is a vanishingly rare event, ushering in an unprecedented era of peace, love, and decadence. These 7 songs are gathered together in the recording known as the Halls of Amnesia.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DoktorG said:

I'm not quite sure why I was thinking of this as a compilation album but I'm happy to fiddle with the text, for you to play with the text, or for it to be ignored. 

I just hope some of the irony and humour comes across? 

Na I didn't mean it like that. I don't see a need for any changes. 

Just wondering how it would be framed if we are talking to people to send us tracks. 

Personally I like the idea of it being an album but this isn't my idea and an album is harder work. So just asking the question

18 minutes ago, Tsotsi said:

Na I didn't mean it like that. I don't see a need for any changes. 

Just wondering how it would be framed if we are talking to people to send us tracks. 

Personally I like the idea of it being an album but this isn't my idea and an album is harder work. So just asking the question

Thanks Tsotsi.

Well we could send them the text of course. 

I wonder if I may make a general comment on compilations? I take some inspiration from Paul Oakenfold's "A Voyage into Trance" - Oakenfold became terrible but back in 95 he put out this extremely good compilation that really understood flow - ok, it is mixed together, but even with a non-mixed compilation, flow is essential. I like the idea of ambient, or at least more chilled, intro and outro tracks, a plateau, and a peak. But even if this classic version of flow were tossed out, flow of some sort is important I think. So perhaps we could ask particular people to contribute something in a certain tempo for a section of the compilation? 

Or perhaps it is best to work with tracks already out, as AstralProjection suggested above?

1 hour ago, DoktorG said:

Or perhaps it is best to work with tracks already out, as AstralProjection suggested above?

no i didnt suggest that... that wouldnt make much sense 🤨

11 hours ago, Parasphere said:

The Secret Library of NHJO. Btw were is he? Our guiding light, I miss the days when he posted his epic webcam  virtuoso keyboard anthems. Those were the days, and when PsychedelicSuperbeast used to create some funny weird vibes here. 😄 

Everybody retired from the Psynews scene, they got burned out.

hmm. i guess if we are not trying to take it seriously we should just give up before we start : p 

50 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

hmm. i guess if we are not trying to take it seriously we should just give up before we start : p 

I took your comment that "i suppose starting with the actual music would be better than thinking of names" to mean that we should start with tracks already out or at least make sure that there was a nucleus of a couple of good tracks to start with. I think it is a good point. 

1 hour ago, astralprojection said:

My dreamteam for a compilation: Psynina doing a duet with Duvdev on the Autoune mic. And NHJO and Infected Erez shredding it on the keyboards.

On a serious note, it would be fun with a real compilation. However how many active users could we even bring to the project? It's probably dead on arrival. :D 

We should open a new forum called Psy X-Factor, doing auditions for fame-seeking narcissists. I think people have deep-seated need for new deities, and we could cater to that need discovering new gods to be worshipped at the DJ altar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DoktorG said:

Halls of Amnesia

My name is Nyx. I’ve been a planetary anthropologist for 3000 of my 5023 years. My most puzzling and psychedelic assignment without doubt was being posted to planet Earth in the Solar System to report on the discovery of a miraculously preserved temple in the jungle of a coastal region of what was called India, a place called Goa. Earth had been through various catastrophes, including a radiation disaster, runaway desertification and warming, followed by four ice ages and a meteor strike since the builders of the temple had lived. There were few remnants of these builders, a bipedal simian species who called themselves "humans". Nevertheless, the state of preservation of the temple was remarkable; by some twist of fate the crenelated ceiling composed of mysterious twirling shapes and fractal patterns of inscrutable esoteric design had survived the vicissitudes of disasters. The letters A-M-N-E-S-I-A were inscribed over the lintel of the entrance. Even more remarkably, under a thick beard of dust I found this ancient and crude yet ingenious technology, which via reverse engineering I managed to reanimate. I presented the findings to the Pangalactic Council and the rest is a matter of public record: the 7 “songs” found on this gnomic yet extremely exciting and energising recording were leaked and became a transgalactic hit, which as you know is a vanishingly rare event, ushering in an unprecedented era of peace, love, and decadence. These 7 songs are gathered together in the recording known as the Halls of Amnesia.  

I asked ChatGPT to re-arrange it utilizing Iambic Tetrameter verse metre:

In times of old, when years were vast,
Nyx, planetary sage unsurpassed,
Three millennia plus two-score,
A cosmic scholar's wisdom to explore.

Her task, to Earth her gaze did steer,
To lands where mystery did appear,
In solar's grasp, a temple lay,
In jungle's heart, where coast meets bay.

India's name, in tales of old,
A place called Goa, its story told,
Through catastrophes Earth had strayed,
Radiation's touch, its warmth decayed.

Ice ages four, desert's sweep,
Meteor's strike, in cycles deep,
Yet 'midst this strife, a temple stood,
Preserved by fate, in Earthly hood.

Within, a ceiling, crenelated high,
Shapes twirling, fractals that belie,
Designs of old, esoteric, grand,
Survived the ages, Earth's shifting sand.

Inscribed above, a word did glow,
A-M-N-E-S-I-A, a cryptic flow,
Entrance's lintel bore this script,
In language lost, its meaning crypt.

Dust-clad beard, an ancient tech,
Ingenious, crude, a hidden speck,
Reverse engineered, Nyx unveiled,
The past's secrets, a life exhaled.

Before the Council, her findings laid,
A record etched, history's cascade,
Transgalactic hit, those notes did soar,
Seven songs, a timeless lore.

Halls of Amnesia, the recording's name,
Gnomic and exciting, a new world's flame,
Peace, love, decadence, they would ignite,
An era born, in cosmic light.

5 hours ago, DoktorG said:

I took your comment that "i suppose starting with the actual music would be better than thinking of names" to mean that we should start with tracks already out or at least make sure that there was a nucleus of a couple of good tracks to start with. I think it is a good point. 

Aha I see. No I meant start from scratch :) by making some tunes. But perhaps THAt is what does not make sense atm 😋