Need help with kick/bass

Hi!

Im trying to make a real groovy bass at around 90-100bpm but i really cant figure out the groove. The sound im looking for is in "Suduaya - Diamond Dust".

Im using ableton and at the moment I just have sylenth1, serum and trilian to work with. I figure its the velocity that hence the groove in that suduaya track, but what more? And even how much i play around with the velocity I cant get near Suduayas sound.

I'd be very happy for some helpful tips!

Much Obliged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTE8DKbon8

• 2 weeks later...

any synth that can make a typical psy bass (sawtooth with sufficiently fast envelopes) should be fine. the rest is just fine tuning the envelope parameters and a little processing (mainly some distortion and eq).

one more thing that could be the case here (i'm not quite sure) is that the first bass note seems to have a filter that's as open as the filter on the later notes. so the filter freq is probably also modulated by velocity. 

On 4/2/2018 at 1:38 AM, Padmapani said:

any synth that can make a typical psy bass (sawtooth with sufficiently fast envelopes) should be fine. the rest is just fine tuning the envelope parameters and a little processing (mainly some distortion and eq).

one more thing that could be the case here (i'm not quite sure) is that the first bass note seems to have a filter that's as open as the filter on the later notes. so the filter freq is probably also modulated by velocity. 

I really appreciate your answers Padmapani. Im a beginner to this so i still have much to learn. Even if ive listen to psy sincee around year 2000 its not the same as producing. Psytrance i can do ok, for that amature that i am hehe, but to get this groove at 97bpm or whatever suduaya plays at, i really cant figure it out. i watch so many tutorials, try to understand how to use the velocity. I dont want to copy his stuff, rather get inspierd and put my own twist to it. Im very eager to learn but now i feel dont know how to proceed. maybe its super easy, but just that i havnt figured it out yet. Again much obliged for your answers and all sorts of tips are highly welcomed :)

Namaste!

If you are on Windows I'd recommend G-Sonique Ultrabass, it has predefined velocity -> cutoff assigment and has just the right sound for all common "psybass" duties and it's quite cheap. But Sylenth will also do the job, you need to assign an envelope and the velocity to the cutoff and add some filter drive.

The bass pattern in that Suduaya track is almost straight sixteens like KbBB where K is kick and "b" has lover velocity than "B", I'd also very slighly move both "B"s to the left along the grid so that they would start few milliseconds earlier, which make the bassline a bit more swingy/groovy. Also you may add a bit of sidechaining from the kick or a ghost kick (it's optional, may or may not help).

The bass in this track is made in the above way, it's faster (137 bpm) but has similar groove.