INDIA & the South Asia.

Starkraver

We have had China, Russia, EU, NATO discussions and yeah US too. Let's talk about India & South Asia.

Many of you have visited my country , might have formed opinions too. I would like to see my country from an outsiders perspective.

All of you at least know 2 things about my country, one of the smallest state & The Lord with the 3rd eye.

Coming to South Asia - it consists of fascinating countries to say the least. The largest democracy, the terror exporter, the land of Himalayas, the nation which introduced the world to happiness index & the tiny island nation full of elephants & spices..

• Like 1

We have had China, Russia, EU, NATO discussions and yeah US too. Let's talk about India & South Asia.

Many of you have visited my country , might have formed opinions too. I would like to see my country from an outsiders perspective.

All of you at least know 2 things about my country, one of the smallest state & The Lord with the 3rd eye.

Coming to South Asia - it consists of fascinating countries to say the least. The largest democracy, the terror exporter, the land of Himalayas, the nation which introduced the world to happiness index & the tiny island nation full of elephants & spices..

Sounds beautiful. Much like who you are as a person Starkraver.

So let's say I came for a visit, give me a verbal walk through as far as what you think I should see, try, taste.. etc

Leave out no detail or expense my brother :)

In few words: I don't know a lot about India but for me personally it's one of thoose countries that you have to visit to feel small partion of it. For sure it has rich history and culture, a lot of beautiful nature, vast number of languages and colorful traditions. It's one of the most significant part of Asia and area that gave so much for human civilization in general. It's also a rising super-power and I hope India won't become just another China in the future. If I have the opportunity, I would visit it (not because of Goa region, but because I think there is a lot more tourist-friendly corners of India).

• Like 1

In few words: I don't know a lot about India but for me personally it's one of thoose countries that you have to visit to feel small partion of it. For sure it has rich history and culture, a lot of beautiful nature, vast number of languages and colorful traditions. It's one of the most significant part of Asia and area that gave so much for human civilization in general. It's also a rising super-power and I hope India won't become just another China in the future. If I have the opportunity, I would visit it (not because of Goa region, but because I think there is a lot more tourist-friendly corners of India).

No doubt

Richpa , I think NE-India is what you are looking for.

Culturally vibrant, artistically innovative and open and having some of the best National Parks & reserved forests to some great geological marvels with monstrous Brahmaputra river forming breath taking gorges.

Tiny info here :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_North_East_India

There's a lot more of course. North eastern states are home to various tribal population who have preserved their ancient way of life and have their own set of laws, culture and cuisine. You will get to have anything in between an ant to deer including cats/dogs and other taboo stuff.

+cleanest village of Asia - a beautiful place, matriarchal system is followed over there and the streets are lined with flowers and whatnot. It's like wonderland.

+Highest population of one horned rhino's in the world + the world famous Bengal Tiger, elephants, flying squirrels (yes flying squirrels) and many more endemic species of apes can be found in the biodiversity hotspot.

+Many art & dance forms which I can't recall now.

+Buddhist monasteries & a sizeable population of Christians. Many tribes have adopted Christianity.

Bhutan is just mind blowing. Can be visited via some mountain passes from Sikkim I think.

Well I will leave out Pak.

Mauritius is more of a honeymoon destination.

About Sri Lanka, may be Padmapni will be able to describe it better. I haven't visited it. Many commonalities like Cricket, Spices and coconut.

Bangladesh is like India on steroids in a tiny land. Some security concerns over there. Foreigners targeted by radical outfits. But Sunderbans is one of its kind delta.

They have good seafood over there, River Meghna almost splits the country into 2 parts, you can even witness traditional fishing using "Trained Sea Otters" and of course more Tigers and splendid art/literature stuff (part of Bengal!)

Do visit. And don't forget to inform me. May be we can meet up.

--------------------------------------------

@604, not to be rude but I don't know what you would like. May be you'll like during the national parade when the military brings out the big guns and nuke capable missiles.

Please don't spam the thread.

--------------------------------------------

The thread is about Knowing what other think about my country and the region with focus on geopolitics and other issues and not Goa & Tourism & hippies.

@Richpa - the sad thing is each and every statistic that comes out is compared with China. I don't see how we won't turn into China at least in few ways when we constantly try to mimick it and catch up with it & have a dream to surpass it as a major power in Asia.

Till now, we had weak leadership and a corrupt family ruling us for decades but the last couple years has seen great enthusiasm and course correction and even participation of youth in politics and nation building (contrast that with just leaving everyone behind and running away to US!) but everything comes at a price, as with any strong right wing government there are hints of fascism trying its best to tell us how to lead our life, what to eat & stuff but I firmly believe the demographic is way past all this archaic nonsense and a significant part of it has a modern rational outlook with the inevitable touch of spirituality.

Ok that's enough from me. More from you guys!

• Like 1