Tracks:

1. The Activation Part 1 (3:11)

2. Moldavisions (5:02)

3. Sundari (9:26)

4. Mycophagous (6:56)

5. Alien Life (11:32)

6. Synchromystic (5:55)

7. The Activation Part 2 (1:35)

Ever heard an essential Psychedelic Roots-Dub-Album? No? Then try Soulacybin's first output Self-Existing Earth, released in 2012 at Psyderweb Records. (If yes, please let me know what you have in mind!) This caught me by surprise with its heavy Roots-Dub influence, mixed with downtempo atmospheres and overall nice songwriting.

This is John LaBoone's second appearance and it's as good as the first. Or better. Well... let's say different. While the influence from Jamaican Dub dominated his first output, you will hear much more contemporary Bass Music here. Psydub, Psystep, Glitch, sometimes something from everything in one track. Mostly combined with classic downtempo structures but always with a psychedelic touch and well-placed instrumentations. The sound is much more evolving throughout the tracks, they change in tempo, rhythm, feeling. My personal highlight is Sundari, its bass-parts vary constantly, psyfarts remember that we're in psychedelic territory, short melodic excursions travel to the beaches of Jamaica, Goa and.. ehm Egypt? Of course you can hear similarities to some of psychedelic-mid/downtempo's grandfathers, but inspiration also comes from where inspiration exists, right? So, you like downtempo stuff but with a strong emphasis on bass-work? Give it a shot! Namely here!

Awesome catch! I too listened to Self-Existing Earth and I loved the way he combined roots reggae, dub with electronic effects driven parts. I had that album playing quite a bit at my old job where we used to be able to play music in the back. I will give Gratitude a listen!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...