Artist: Hotep

Title: Transformation of Light

Label: Ovnimoon Records

Date: June, 2013

1. And just a pinch of magic

2. Happyland

3. Nature and society

4. Loud Thoughts

5. Portal to the future (feat. Electyxeed)

6. Free Transform (Hotep rmx) - Wizack Twizack

7. Squiggly Lines (feat. Psilocybian)

8. Explore the universe

9. Ay Caramba

10. A joint and cup of coffee

"Do we occupy a special place in the cosmos, or are we merely a celestial footnote? Is the universe welcoming or hostile? We can stand here forever wondering. Or we could leave home on the ultimate adventure."

Hotep- an Egyptian word roughly meaning to be satisfied, to be at peace.

Lwezm2m.jpg

Yeah that seems to be working out.

I'm beginning to believe there is no word for peace in the Muslim world. And that's why they fight all the time...they're confused. We keep saying peace and maybe in Arabic that means Jihad. Meh, not for me to tell them how to live their lives. That's a job for the white man's government. So Egypt isn't at peace, but a young Croatian man seems to be. I tell you the Balkans has been erupting with talent in the electronic scene as it seems every citizen is putting out a quality album. We have government issued health care and they have government issued Cubase. Think I'm joking? This is Psilocybian's neighbor.

His neighbor. I have two neighbors. One hates black people and the other one is a pasty middle aged white lady in coveralls that clearly don't cover all.

Some things can't be unseen.

Anyway a debut album from this part of the world is becoming rather unremarkable. What would be remarkable is if it sucked.

Hello? Is this thing on? It's Psilocybian's neighbor?!?

The first couple of tracks were to warm you up. Not bad, but nothing spectacular either. When Nature and Society arrive it's a bit thicker with more layers and a goa undercurrent that reminds me of some of the classics back in the day. Syb Unity to be exact. Loud Thoughts is darker with a complex evil sneer as if the forest was threatening to swallow me whole. And it is a dark album with echoing effects and layers of sinister synthesizers. His remix of Wizack's Free Transform takes an already great track and ratchets up the tension. Everything seems so shiny! Squiggly Lines is just a thumping good time from these psychedelic titans.

Ay Caramba is an interesting combination of darkpsy textures and tech-trance mechanics. And he closes with a downtempo track that is quirky and weird yet enjoyable. This album showed me the range this guy has. First I will say it was a solid release. Not stellar, but solid. A showcase of his talent in the night time full-on sub genre, it also revealed how competent he was in other styles. Goa, downtempo, tech...he's got it. He seems to be on the right track and I imagine his future compositions will become more complex and detailed. Looking for ward to it.

Beatport

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goa Store

Mdk

• 3 months later...

The word "peace" is "Salam" in Arabic, and actually makes the root word of "Islam", that has a double meaning: being in peace AND submission to God.

Reasons why Arabs or Muslims fight depend on many factors; mainly from within - lack of Justice esp. by the non-elected "leaders", who ironically in many Arab countries belong to minority groups rather than majority of population and their respective views and demands.

The word "Jihad" has been misused by propaganda mediators; in essence it means "struggle" and it refers to 2 different matters: inner battle against desire, the Devil, etc...and War against offenders/occupiers/settlers/mercenaries.etc.

In history Arabs/Muslims built a beautiful civilization and ignited many basics for scientific & aesthetic backgrounds; however now its more like the "Dark Ages" for them...

btw I do enjoy reading most of your eloquently funny reviews, some are truly epic! :-)