Prog goa percussion >.<

Hello, I've been wandering around a few psytrance forums today hoping to find some advice regarding the construction of groovy perc lines in the progressive/goa style (I've been looking at tracks by the likes of e-clip and ace ventura). I'm alright at melody writing but I'm constantly bashing my head against a wall when it comes to writing drums or creating kewl atonal synth patterns that support the 'visual' of the track if you get me. I'm using ableton live 8 atm but alot of it's functions are still pretty mysterious to me, at the moment I've just been loading drum rack, dragged in a bunch of samples and wrote random crap in the midi editor. Short of the 10-year journey of learing to play drums asnd getting good, are there any neat programming tricks to take the pain out of it in the meantime?

Here's a rough track I'm hoping to fill with interesting and picturesque rhythms:

https://soundcloud.com/myconica/watashiwamix2

My main focus is on getting better at writing perc at the moment but any other criticism ppl think is valid is welcome. I've still got a long way to go >.<

• 2 weeks later...

I also think it is pretty good already. Here are a few suggestions: You could add more synths to create a dialog between them, i.e. various melodies would come back and forth. Between logical parts of your tune, I would mark the transition with drum changes such as bass drum roll or hi-hat roll or snare drum roll. I would also add more subtile barely audible loops of all sorts on the background to fill up, but not too much either. But this may not be what you are after.

A tip: drumcomputers, maybe multiple drumcomputers. Or for example, download some sample packs of the classics (TR-808, TR-707) if you like the sampling way better than sequencing.

Also, I think your balance isn't that good: the kick and bass are way too prominent. Melodies and mood are good, could use more variation though.