Space Waves - My First Goa Session

Aspartic

Hi Goa lovers,

after making loads of normal trance sessions, and after being quite disappointed with the direction normal trance is going right now, I am finding my way in the world of Goa Trance.

I had a short Goa period in the 90s, left it again for normal trance, but thanks to the wonderful tracks out there by many talented producers, I have fallen in love with modern melodic Goa Trance.

I've been visiting some parties here in Belgium and it's been a revelation!

I've had so much fun analysing tracks from start to end and trying to build a story in the form of a melodic Goa Trance mix session.

The result is an ultra melodic floaty goa trance mix. Seems this is the style I love.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

I have my own critics on this session, but I will spare them for later.

Please do not hesitate to leave comments, even if they are tough critics. I'm always trying to improve.

Some details:

Hardware: Ecler Nuo 3 Mixer and CDJ-800 turntables

Software: Goldwave 5.23, Exact Audio Copy (wav to mp3)

Compression: Lame 3.97 320kbps

Key detection: Mixed In Key, Bome's mouse keyboard

Genre: Goa Trance

Tracklisting:

01. Eleusyn - Gliese

02. E-Mantra - Valley Of The Kings

03. Jikooha - Riot Here! Riot Now!

04. Astral Projection - Techno Drome

05. Antares - Dreaming Universe

06. Ra - Lifethread

07. E-Mantra - Distant Signals

08. Eleusyn - Kosmodrom

09. Artifact303 - For A Better World

10. Ra - Time Current (Silver Remix)

11. Artifact303 - Magnetic Fields

12. Filteria - Galactic Rays

Total playing time: 1h18m30s

As you can see, the majority comes from the Suntrip catalog, but then again, Suntrip delivers the material I'm interested in. :)

Listen or download at soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/aspartic/aspartic-space-waves

Cheers!

The link to the mix is HERE

Edit: I am a bit stupid, found it in my downloads, thanks a lot! I will surely enjoy this one. Gonna check back in when I have listened to it ;)

Thanks guys. Take your time to listen and come back here with with your feelings. :)

Btw, I'll post another session soon that I made back 2 back with a buddy of mine. That session will be a mix of goa and nitzhogoa. My buddy is more a nitzho kinda guy. ;)

Nice mix! I love the transition of Techno Drome to Dreaming Universe.

Yeah, that was a gift from god. And some analysing of course. :)

Dreaming Universe blasts off at the perfect timing. One of the best transitions, I have to agree. It would have been more perfect if the bpm of the two tracks was the same. Techno Drome is 140 and Dreaming Universe is 145 (or 144). Allthough they have the same key, the difference in bpm shifts the key slightly of Techno Drome. Mix was recorded at 144 bpm. I could have fixed the key with the Master Tempo function of my pioneers, but there is a bug in that algorithm which makes the pitch fluctuate, and beatmatching becomes hell. Only used it for the last Filteria track.

There are also more easy-done transitions, with which I was uncomfortable at first, because mixing goa is so different from mixing normal trance.

With Goa we can or have to be more creative. And I like challenges! :D

I agree! I started mixing goa myself only a couple of months ago and am still trying to find creative ways of mixing it... I guess it all comes down to perfect knowledge of the tracks... But it is so much fun... Buying those cdj's was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Great that you used Magnetic Fields btw, it's my favorite track from back to space, next to beyond lightspeed... Good to hear that the pitchchange works rather well with it too!

I agree! I started mixing goa myself only a couple of months ago and am still trying to find creative ways of mixing it... I guess it all comes down to perfect knowledge of the tracks... But it is so much fun... Buying those cdj's was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Great that you used Magnetic Fields btw, it's my favorite track from back to space, next to beyond lightspeed... Good to hear that the pitchchange works rather well with it too!

Great man, really looking forward to your creations!

Yeah, the cdj's are magnificent. You also have the old first CDJ800's that can't read mp3? Too bad the new ones of the 800 series cost twice as much now.

Beyond Lightspeed is in that b2b session I'll upload soon. :) But you'll hear it was hard to mix with another track. It ends at lightspeed. ;)

ps: took me 3 weeks to make the tracklist after analysing my favorite tracks. So indeed, there is more work involved. But it's goa, so it's pure fun!

Well, in my opinion the transition from "Lifethread" to "Distant Signals" was better than the previously mentioned one, super smooth. ;-) The transition where I hear most obviously that you originally mixed Trance is from 09 into 10, since you managed to make those melodies compliment each other perfectly. Overall I'm not such a big fan of the first 5 tracks flow wise, but the rest flows wonderfully and builds up energy constantly with a well put breakdown in "Time Current".

Well, in my opinion the transition from "Lifethread" to "Distant Signals" was better than the previously mentioned one, super smooth. ;-) The transition where I hear most obviously that you originally mixed Trance is from 09 into 10, since you managed to make those melodies compliment each other perfectly. Overall I'm not such a big fan of the first 5 tracks flow wise, but the rest flows wonderfully and builds up energy constantly with a well put breakdown in "Time Current".

Exactly, I also have a slight problem with the overall flow and buildup. The first 3-4 tracks start pretty energetic, in my opinion, and then the mix goes into a more floaty atmosphere. The ending is pretty banging again if I might say. :)

I tried to put the first 3 more near the end, but just couldn't find a fitting sequence of tracks. As it is now, it's the best I could do with this selection.

Thanks for the 09 > 10 appreciation. That one wasn't easy. Had to do several tries to find the right knob control on the mixer so that the melodies wouldn't clash too much.

But I think this transition creates an energy boost since the key is not exactly the same, but still matching. The rest of Time Current indeed puts a breathing moment in the mix.

Thanks for the constructive comments! Truly appreciate it.