Goa before trance

Walkabout

Lately I've become interested in the dance music played in Goa before trance proper came to exist, roughly early eighties to the beginning of the nineties. Gil has namechecked some artists on occasion; recently Laurent dropped a bunch of names on another forum, and some people posted mixes in the old style. What I've heard has been extremely intriguing, somewhere between the fringes of pop music and what I'd recognize as trance.

I know that a lot of the old music was edited/extended for Goa parties, and not necessarily as cool in its 'uncut' form, but there are some jewels out there... I'll post a few proto-trance tracks that caught my attention and hopefully others will do the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1QvdhD9l78

Laurent track. Pretty catchy and unusual synthpop.

Pete Shelley from 1989. This sounds like hard techno to me.

I wanted to post Yello's "Domingo" but couldn't find it. Such a damn crazy track for 85.

Trilithon - Trance Dance 128 (1991) I don't know much about new beat, but this does sound halfway between New Beat and Goa Trance to me. Very ahead of it's time.

Lately I've become interested in the dance music played in Goa before trance proper came to exist, roughly early eighties to the beginning of the nineties. Gil has namechecked some artists on occasion; recently Laurent dropped a bunch of names on another forum, and some people posted mixes in the old style. What I've heard has been extremely intriguing, somewhere between the fringes of pop music and what I'd recognize as trance.

I know that a lot of the old music was edited/extended for Goa parties, and not necessarily as cool in its 'uncut' form, but there are some jewels out there... I'll post a few proto-trance tracks that caught my attention and hopefully others will do the same.

were you asking if I knew how to find that "Psychedelic Concentration Camp" Track from the Isle of Wight on RAdio 1? If so, All I could recover was the sample from the song. I searched everywhere. I have not had any luck. But, it doesn't ring a bell. so much either. I mean the closest track that I relate is Hallucination Generation by MeatBeatManifesto.

Anyway, I did put some of what contributed to leading me to find This trance. I still need a few earlier additions to round out my circle of influence. I remember you linked a dj set from the eighties from Goa that was nothing like Goa trance. As I remember, you are a dancer? and we were talking about trance's technical nature. BTW, I did realize something. You know the monotonous and predictable psytrance that seems to dominate the spectrum? I realized this is exactly what you had mentioned. But I misinterpreted it. As a DJ, it is absolutely necessary to mix these trax in such a way that the audience is engaged and is surprised and just gives up to the DJ. This is such a revelation for me. Thank you. Your perception as a dancer is right on. But, the ideas seemed implausible. To change up the music so much. it would be very difficult with up tempo rhythms. So, I was experimenting with Etnica's Releases, KoxBox, and Hallucinogen's Lone Deranger. I freestyled a mix that I did not let one track play after another. I got into the mixing immediately and I found that I could control the predictable trance bass lines and groove by mixing and I realized this is the problem with the music. The DJ. The holy trinity of the scene is The producer, the DJ and the Audience. If one is lacking they all suffer and if one rises above the others, it allows the music to evolve. The ideas of new trance become easier. Check out my freestyle mix on soundcloud. I also, did not use headphones. This is what you as a dancer and I as a DJ, would call pure freestyle or I like freestyle psylistic. I am in the middle of adding old flyers of gigs to make the mix audiovisual and uploadable on YouTube. Then, I can link it.

Later.

Trilithon - Trance Dance 128 (1991) I don't know much about new beat, but this does sound halfway between New Beat and Goa Trance to me. Very ahead of it's time.

I keep reading that Trance Dance was the original namesake to Goa Trance at least Ray Castle, Steve Psycho. and other early explores, had said that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Watkins and Youth circa 1985. The 1st track is somewhat proto-psytrance, the 2nd more electro, but they're both interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nme5-K_NhY8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4Ocap2igY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbgrzAuvmM

Check out the lyrics @ 4:23...