"V/A - Project DIY - Belgians United

Trance2MoveU

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Project DIY - Belgians United

Label: None

Date: August, 2010

1. Fractal Frequency & Fusik - Deadwood

2. Agneton - De Wereldoverbrugger (Short Edit)

3. Ephedra - Travel On A Wednesday

4. Daimon - Grimoire

5. Javi - Eiwit

6. Lapsus - Shake Fear

7. Javi - Alice In Blotterland (Rmx)

8. DjunaSaurus - Nobody's Nuts Without A Little Bit Of Sugar

Man, I have had this on the ole hard drive for many weeks, but am only now getting to it. Sue me, I've been busy. I found this as a digital release (link below) but it was an actual CDr in which only 50 copies were made. It was put together by DJ Javi who was a dj for Suntrip, but had to stop due to ear problems. All of the artists are from the great land of Belgium and worked for free. The artwork was done by none other than Mars from Suntrip. I don't know what flower that is on the cover, but all of a sudden I want blueberries..

But back to Belgium...this land had given the world so much:

Posted Image

f*ck blueberries.

Posted Image

Muscles from Brussels baby! Man he's never gonna live that one down. I will work this hilarious gif into as many reviews as possible

Posted Image

Thank you Reyu for setting me straight on this one.

I've been to Belgium, but that was back in the early 90's so I don't remember anything but this really cute and touristy town called Brugge. It was like stepping into a fairy tale. Of course it was Christmas time so it was all done up and I was with this smokin' hot French chick..But I digress.

Deadwood- - "The world ends and then you're dead. Until then...you got more punishment ahead. Stand up like a man...and give some back."

Nice start from people I have never heard of. Arpeggios flutter in and out, numerous at a time. A lead dances in between them putting it's dancing shoes on, but it's a little on the minimal side. I guess I'm just spoiled by layers. Not bad though.

De Wereldoverbrugger (Short Edit)-

Posted Image

That's me trying to figure out how to pronounce whatever the hell you call that track name. That's consonant abuse Elias. This is the shorter version of a track that was put on the great Protozoa compilation. It's a nitzhogoa special with sparkling synths and that tell tale nitzhonot kick. As usual he pays attention to the details as the bass line thunders and synths scatter like roaches with the light on. He adds leads and builds a tasty treat. I love that melody at around 3 and a half minutes. The break is super with ideas shooting from all angles. Love your work man!

Travel On A Wednesday- Well of course you want to travel on a Wednesday...have you seen the price of flights skyrocket on the weekend? No idea who this is. This track tends towards the darker side of things with an intense drive as the synth arpeggios rage on. The key change is pleasant and keeps things interesting for awhile, but the same sounds without a break can get a little weary. Not bad.

Grimoire- The dark alter ego of Antares (Simon Felix) who has his debut coming out this month. He creates an alien plane with effects running from the darkness but quickly shying away from the light. He maintains that feel throughout as synths waver uncertainly crying out to be filtered. It's like a childhood icon that was full of smiles decides to say f*ck it and go on a crime spree.

Posted Image

F*cking Grimace had it coming...if the cholesterol from the shakes didn't get him you know Ronald would. Lazy fat bastard collecting checks...

This track is dark and not a storyteller, but just a good atmospheric ride. The climax brings it all together in a scary frenzy. This guy has talent. Loads.

Eiwit- "The spiritual and religious use of drugs has been occurring since the dawn of our species."

Man he wastes no time does he? Twist that sh*t homie. Very good bounce as he interchanges leads. Once he's finished with one it's on to the next. Pretty thin, but it still kept my head bouncing. Good job.

Shake Fear- Nicolas Wojciechowski had a track on Pure Planet 4 called De Tevroegkomer (whatever the f*ck that means) that I thought was pretty good. I've heard this before and upon listening again realized why I liked it. It's driving with attitude, synths racing while more leads get added. The textures are also different; the bass is kinda gruff, some leads have a delicate touch and some scream like my son when you say he can't watch another f*cking episode of Yo Gabba Gabba before bedtime. Intense and full of adrenaline, especially the climax. Should be time for an album from you, no?

Alice In Blotterland (Rmx)- This one bounds out of the gate with multiple leads and keeps the goa vibe thumping. It morphs into different phrases and keeps the flow. It has a gritty feel, with the 303 bubbling and hell, there's even a sheep braying. You know a track is good when livestock do a cameo. Loved it.

Nobody's Nuts Without A Little Bit Of Sugar- Wow, this is just annoying. There is a terrible vocal effect used in the 1st two minutes that makes me want to kick my monitor in. Thankfully it settles down and becomes quite the goa stormer. Screeching 303 madness that makes me want to do the spins with weird leads moaning in my ears. Psychedelic no doubt and would've been great if not for the 1st two minutes. Sort that out.

Way to go Belgium! Congratulations to the artists and to DJ Javi for putting this nice compilation together. All the tracks were good and several were exceptional. Anytime you release some goa trance, I'll be there. And all of this for free.

Links have been updated for download

Mdk

Thank you. No wonder it didn't show up in my German translator!

:lol:

Great review, great compilation. Hopefully you guys gonna do a sequel in upcoming years, Belgium got a lot of talents in this kind of music!