So, master what's the score?

Trance2MoveU

Since Astral is set to release their new album supposedly sooner than later, it got me thinking. Let's hope that this date sticks and we eventually see this album. I'm curious to see the record of old school masters delivering comeback albums. I'm not talking about artists who released great goa albums in the past and continued to release albums though the years, for example, X-Dream.

MFG- Message From God - Psytrance album, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Esp. "Positive Energy."

Transwave- Frontfire and Backfire - A psytrance album of some of their goa classics in psytrance form (which was great) and an album of their lesser known goa tunes. Also a success.

Cosmosis- Psychedelica Melodica (pretty decent psy album with a great goa track "Dance of the Cosmic Serpent." Fumbling For The Funky Frequency which was a better album with even more delicious goa tracks. Retro Vol. 1 and 2 which brought out some of their classic goa tracks.

Ra- 9th Awesome Goa release.

Oood- Forethought and Free Range. I haven't heard them in a long while so I will have to give them another listen. IIRC they are definitely not goa.

Crop Circles- Tetrahedron Awesome goa release, but this was material made back in the day.

Chi-A.D.- Eyes of Gaia I thought this was an awesome release supplying a great mixture of Psy and Goa.

Jaia- Re:Works Progressive trance album that was kinda hit or miss.

Dimension 5- Transdimensional - Again, awesome album but it doesn't count. It's not like they came back to give us new stuff.

KoxBox- U-Turn - Totally not goa and depending on what side of the fence you were on, more of the same tech-trance stuff they released before.

Logic Bomb- Sonic Algebra - Were they really goa back in the day? Regardless, I loved this album full of psy goodness.

Synsun- Zelur Project and Full Power of Goa Great, but old material.

Zirrex- Lost In Time This was one of the greatest goa trance albums, but it still doesn't count. Nothing new, with the exceptions of some tracks on the re-release that weren't anything special.

Total Eclipse- Tales of the Shaman - I'm not sure if they count, as they did release Update Files, but in any event, this album sucked. Boring psy.

and of course, Pleiadians- 7Sister7 - A brilliant psytrance album I thought.

Did I leave anyone out?

All in all, not a bad track record. Must be tough for these guys because they are damned of they do and damned if they don't. Release a goa album and you haven't evolved, but release a psy disc and you are turning your back on your roots. I hope Astral drop a killer as it would be great to see them on top again, psy or goa. Check out the Blissdom EP, it's pretty good. Open Society is a great track.

Mdk

I think Astral begun to suck when the stopped worshipping the melodic aesthetics of Trilithon's "track house" and 80's italo disco. They made fantastic music but that's not because they were psytrance/goa - it's because of their brilliant melodies. And brilliant melodies are not in style today.

I'm not talking about artists who released great goa albums in the past and continued to release albums though the years.

KoxBox- U-Turn - Totally not goa and depending on what side of the fence you were on, more of the same tech-trance stuff they released before.

If I am not mistaken Koxbox has been releasing albums constantly since their debut?