Jon Cocco

Seen it last week (FINALLY ;) ) and I must say that I'm impressed. I don't think I need to repeat the fact that the visuals are absolutely stunning, even moreso if you've already tried psychedellics because of the overuse of violet and blue, it all looked very... psytrancy (IMO). Now for the sotyline... well, given that I was expecing it to be crap from reading other reviews, I was actually positively surprised. OK, there was an overuse of clichés drawing from Pocahontas, Star Wars, Starship Troopers and even a bit of Aliens (NOT a good idea to have Sigourney Weaver play a major role IMO). But the message was a good one IMO, it drew a LOT of parallels between the phantasy world and American's overconsumption of natural resources of third world countries. The "we will fight terror with terror" phrase is an obvious wink to the Bush regime and how it handled Irak. So yes, it might be a bit on the simple side but at the same time, if it made millions of Americans (and others) question their consumption habits then it's quite a challenge in itself, no?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...) 75% of the movie consisted of the main characters gaying it up in the forest. Boring! (...)

:lol:

Haven't seen the movie, and I never will! I'm rather proud of my immunity to public OMG'ness.

75% of the movie consisted of the main characters gaying it up in the forest.

yeah and 75% of psytrance consists of random sounds... :rolleyes:

IMO in order to apreciate a form of art you have to "understand" what the artist was trying to do in the first place (in the case of Avatar "the main characters gaying it up in the forest" as you put it actually simbolized their communion with nature and how far from it our modern civilisation has become, which is much deeper than your average blockbuster movie).

The money grossed is not adjusted for inflation. If you do that then Avatar is still at number 26!

Seriously I fail miserably to understand what the hype was all about in this movie. I was expecting it to have a shit story with weak acting and have everything focus on the CG world. What I wasn't expecting was a script that sounded like it had been written by a 10 year old, cheesy ass lines like Everything is backwards now, like out there is the true world, and in here is the dream. Absolutely gag worthy. But it's hard to be disappointed when you expect shit and get god awful shit.

No the big disappointment was the CG. I mean seriously guys, it's crap! It may use state of the art techniques but everything looks so fake and never once was I drawn in by it. Seeing as I was not drawn in by the story, acting or anything else I was hugely pissed off.

I guess that with so much money being thrown at this monstrosity that people feel like they have to like and don't have the strength of mind to go against the flow. Well probably not with some people but then there is no accounting for taste. Avatar is the Skazi of movies and I feel sorry for people who think that this is a visual treat as they have obviously never seen a real visual treat (or are impressed by fake plasticky looking bollocks, I bet you all like Megan Fox and other such visual monstosities?)

I guess the main reason I am pissed off is that in Japan it costs 2000 yen ($22)to see a movie at the cinema and there is much better things I would have rather spent my money on. At least now I know who not to get movie recommendations from. Almost everyone! :lol:

Abasio you treat this movie like it defiled your ancestors graves... Especially in dogging the CG! If you can't see how the movie is a breakthrough at least in that category, and respect how it has made people feel more alienated from the environment (which it should, and hopefully will draw them to want to protect/immerse themselves in nature more), then I don't know WHAT you are smoking, (or not smoking... you ARE in Japan after all...)

The money grossed is not adjusted for inflation. If you do that then Avatar is still at number 26!

Seriously I fail miserably to understand what the hype was all about in this movie. I was expecting it to have a shit story with weak acting and have everything focus on the CG world. What I wasn't expecting was a script that sounded like it had been written by a 10 year old, cheesy ass lines like Everything is backwards now, like out there is the true world, and in here is the dream. Absolutely gag worthy. But it's hard to be disappointed when you expect shit and get god awful shit.

Well I would've expected someone who's done psychedellics to understand better that kind of phrase...

No the big disappointment was the CG. I mean seriously guys, it's crap! It may use state of the art techniques but everything looks so fake and never once was I drawn in by it. Seeing as I was not drawn in by the story, acting or anything else I was hugely pissed off.

WTF man, it is SUPPOSED to look fake!!! As in contrast with the real world, this is NOT a Final Fantasy rip-off where they tried to make everything look like the real world in CG. It is precisely all those landscapes that seemed to come from a dream world that makes it all worth it!! WTF, next you'll be telling me "I don't like psytrance with all the wierd electronic sounds, why don't they use acoustic instruments and singing instead?". No really, WTF?!?!

yeah and 75% of psytrance consists of random sounds... :rolleyes:

IMO in order to apreciate a form of art you have to "understand" what the artist was trying to do in the first place (in the case of Avatar "the main characters gaying it up in the forest" as you put it actually simbolized their communion with nature and how far from it our modern civilisation has become, which is much deeper than your average blockbuster movie).

What are you saying? That psytrance is gay? That psytrance is shit, like the movie?

Oh, you are absolutley right. Cameron couldn't make it more clear that they care about the nature since he decided to make 75% of it yawn-fest in the trees (with some spectacular CGI). I perfectly understand that they gayness symbolizes the care of nature and their planet. I don't think anyone can miss that. BUT WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER "HUMAN DESTROYS THE NATURE LECTURE", WE ARE ALL AWARE (since like 20-25 years or so) THAT WE DONE SOME BAD THINGS TO THE EARTH. FUCK OFF CAMERON! WORST STORY IN A BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE EVER. That is not the art I appreciate.

What are you saying? That psytrance is gay? That psytrance is shit, like the movie?

Oh, you are absolutley right. Cameron couldn't make it more clear that they care about the nature since he decided to make 75% of it yawn-fest in the trees (with some spectacular CGI). I perfectly understand that they gayness symbolizes the care of nature and their planet. I don't think anyone can miss that. BUT WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER "HUMAN DESTROYS THE NATURE LECTURE", WE ARE ALL AWARE (since like 20-25 years or so) THAT WE DONE SOME BAD THINGS TO THE EARTH. FUCK OFF CAMERON! WORST STORY IN A BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE EVER. That is not the art I appreciate.

Actually the message of the story is that HUMANS ARE A SHIT RACE. And my friend movies with this message are always great.

Abasio you treat this movie like it defiled your ancestors graves... Especially in dogging the CG! If you can't see how the movie is a breakthrough at least in that category, and respect how it has made people feel more alienated from the environment (which it should, and hopefully will draw them to want to protect/immerse themselves in nature more), then I don't know WHAT you are smoking, (or not smoking... you ARE in Japan after all...)

Well this move deprived me not only of 3 hours of my life but also of a fair bit of money. If they wanted to raise awareness of the Environment then they didn't have to do something to make me hate it, like this movie very almost did :huh:

Well I would've expected someone who's done psychedellics to understand better that kind of phrase...

I understand that kind of overused cheesy as fuck look at me I have taken acid kind of phrase fine. I have done my fair share in the past and I don't find that kind of phrase anything but a cheesy piece of excrement.

WTF man, it is SUPPOSED to look fake!!! As in contrast with the real world, this is NOT a Final Fantasy rip-off where they tried to make everything look like the real world in CG. It is precisely all those landscapes that seemed to come from a dream world that makes it all worth it!! WTF, next you'll be telling me "I don't like psytrance with all the wierd electronic sounds, why don't they use acoustic instruments and singing instead?". No really, WTF?!?!

No, it's supposed to look like a fantastic alien world that could possibly exist. Not some child's drawing put into a computer program with very little thought to real world physics. I don't need it to look real, they might as well just film real life for that but it needs to be fantasy not plasticky fake crap. This movie reminds me of Pam Andersen.

If psy was like Avatar it would be ridden with cliches have cheesy singing throughout and would picked up by the chemical crew! I think that that analogy is pretty weak or you just don't get what I am saying here.

Well this move deprived me not only of 3 hours of my life but also of a fair bit of money. If they wanted to raise awareness of the Environment then they didn't have to do something to make me hate it, like this movie very almost did :huh:

I understand that kind of overused cheesy as fuck look at me I have taken acid kind of phrase fine. I have done my fair share in the past and I don't find that kind of phrase anything but a cheesy piece of excrement.

No, it's supposed to look like a fantastic alien world that could possibly exist. Not some child's drawing put into a computer program with very little thought to real world physics. I don't need it to look real, they might as well just film real life for that but it needs to be fantasy not plasticky fake crap. This movie reminds me of Pam Andersen.

If psy was like Avatar it would be ridden with cliches have cheesy singing throughout and would picked up by the chemical crew! I think that that analogy is pretty weak or you just don't get what I am saying here.

woah man and people say that I'M too negative on these forums ;) OK, let me put it this way: what recent movies do YOU consider are worth your 2000¥ ?