Two questions about the Compact Disc audio

Guest D N H

Two questions about this sensitive media of audio.

I was wondering how can a (new sealed) mint cd have errors (detected by EAC) and skip in some points.

And can CDs loose their audio quality and have an expiry date of streaming after long frequent play or after decades?

1) no idea, that shouldn't happen, or maybe your drive is a bit dirty?

2) the plastics and reflective surface do decay over time, especially on cd-r where additionally the dye clears off given enough time; the cheaper the cd the shorter the lifespan due to lower quality materials.

1-i really hope so but probably this is not the case here because of other fine readings of not mint cds.

2-i can't imagine that, it's awful. That means that when i'll be a grandpa i will not be able to listen to my chi ad albums?

I was wondering how can a (new sealed) mint cd have errors (detected by EAC) and skip in some points.

Manufacturing defects. These things happen. Return it and get a new copy.

And can CDs loose their audio quality and have an expiry date of streaming after long frequent play or after decades?

Frequency of play won't have any effect (provided it's not getting scratched by anything), but the plastics of the CD have been known to degrade over time, mostly when kept for long periods in CD books made from certain materials (I don't remember what). It's not really a widespread problem as far as I know.

Everything in this world wears. No matter what you do, some tiny changes in temperature, chemicals in the air etc. will corrupt the plastic and metal. However, especially factory-made CDs are quite stable. We're talking about multiple decades, possibly even centuries in good storage conditions. As far as I know, collections from the 80s are still fine. Pressed CDs don't wear easily.

CDRs are another story, though. Their longevity depends greatly on the burner, media and storage. Several of my homemade discs from early 90s are already lost. I've also received brand new (as in unused) CDR releases, which have major clicks straight out of the case. A poor blank in harsh storage conditions can do that. Some drives burn better copies than others. I'm not sure if I've received a faulty factory-pressed CD, but it happens to people every now and then.

The very first thing I do with every received CD is to rip a lossless copy. It reveals any errors, helping to claim an instant refund/replacement. It's also a perfect backup for the multitude of reasons why a disc can be lost or damaged. I heartily recommend the same to everyone. Lossless files are also nice for daily playback. No quality issues, no paranoia about that missing bit which might possibly matter.

CDRs are all a gamble.

I have some from the 90s which play fine and some from earlier this year that suck.

Proper manufactured CDs last much longer. Still good to keep back up.

And properly stored vinyl will last a lifetime.

Vinyl = <3

1. in the duplication process there is a small chance >.5% that errors will be introduced.

2. cds are plastic and plastic will disintegrate over time, sooner if exposed to the elements, later if stored properly and made well...

I also recommend copying (ripping) any cd you get. Digital audio is data and data doesn't exist unless it is in two places.

1) no idea, that shouldn't happen, or maybe your drive is a bit dirty?

2) the plastics and reflective surface do decay over time, especially on cd-r where additionally the dye clears off given enough time; the cheaper the cd the shorter the lifespan due to lower quality materials.

i have bought new writable discs before and there were a couple that were faulty, not sure why.

it can happen...