Psysex - Healing

frozen dream

Posted Image

Been three years since the highly commercial remix album. Only heard a few tracks of that but i've always been a fan of their music. Funky playfull, sarcastic, whatever. Loads of fun and trippy groove. Of course their Children of the Doc project will be forever more interesting but let's just check out this new (solo) album of Udi Sternberg aka DJ Goblin as the rumour goes this album has a lot more to offer than the saturated, boring, neurotic and ever repeating Israelian trance scene.

Intro 0:29

Wanna heal yourself? Is that it, is that why you came?

It's not an accident you're here.

Suddenly you're healing...

Goa Human Experience 8:11

Here we go, smooth pads, clicks and kicks, some familiar sounds, new rhythms and structures... Nice chilled and breaky intro, a sound like a chair moving. Then a kick, good storytelling and scene-setting. Definitely a proggy touch to things, but not very prominent.

Calmly goes on, trippy vibes and stabs. A sort of electro break and then back to dancing. Trippy sample-fucking with something about God :P Grooves on on a low bpm. Pretty minimal grooves, no real melodies in this part. By the end there is one arp playing, it's a very visual and scenic track. Lots of elements allow you to visualize easy. Good tale.

Birth of a Pitched Wave 9:07

Proggy stomper, or so it starts, Housy, electro, you name it, the lower bpm class. Then some funky riff, pretty silly, pretty funny. Some funny pauzes and then a build-up. Yeah this funky house baby!! Psysex house!! Haha never guessed i'd hear this from this guy. Guess it was a bad thing Yoni leaving the duo single as this guy is now aiming for the same type of career. Not a bad track but very weird to hear this coming from a project like psysex. He'd better changed names 'cause it's a dent on the name psysex tbh. Passed half of the track it gets ultra-cheesy... wow why did i start reviewing this crap album?? i'm just gonna go vomit now and then be back. The end is a bit better but still fucking cheesy in a boring sense. If i wouldn't know it was psysex and gave me a few beers i could probably still have a bit of fun on this but knowing it's psysex hmmm... not done imo.

Hologram 9:00

Reverb on the kick and some funky riff, yihaa! Clicking and skippin' dance time. Solid progressive psysex dance power! Pretty trippy sounds and good housy party feel. If all proggy tracks were like this he would have one killer album!!

The Message 9:46

Piano, samples, nice intro on this one. A bit more psysex in this one luckily! Some familiar sounds and techniques. Then it goes all proggy again. Not liking it. By the half it gets better again with some real melodies and rhythms. A cinematic break is next, and back in with a strong groove. It's trippy, somewhat half-assed, but still intense vibes. Some sounds I dislike but it's ok. Very special track who shifts in many directions. Difficult to have a solid opinion on it but i'd rather say it's too commercial sounding.

Frectus 7:40

Next is again funky prog-ish-from-a-far, with a hard and deep bassline, quite nice! It seems more uptempo than the others. Nice intro also! Deeply groovy, pumping progressive. Honestly better than those before! Some uneasy darkpsy-ish sounds, excellent crazy atmo! W00t mad funk1ness now!1! This I like, funny contrast with the other songs. This has all the psychedelic madness psysex used to have, though slightly altered of course. But honestly a good PSYSEX track. The melody in the end is just perfect!

Megasex 12:17

Yes! After the first minute, it looks like it's the same as above! Trippy leads, solid setting! Delivers 99% the psysex drive! Tracks like 4 days of madness vaguely come to my mind. Very elaborate and entertaining piece of trance! Also very long which heightens the dance experience!!

Inertia 8:03

This one was the only I already had heard before. This track is together with Marcel V.O.R from the Brazilian project 2Hi. The song is a one-note bassline stomper in the likes of Brenner Power or Perception. No fancy music but solid trippy dancefloor madness!

This one does it all! Funky percussions, repetitive squelchy synths, modified samples, good breakdowns and build-ups! Good ol' Psysex dance madness cummin in peace through the speakers!

Magnetic Heart Beat 0:36

Hehe, entertaining little breaker, it's to introduce the intro of the next track :lol:

Back to Nature 8:46

OH NOES, more proggy it seems :( Is that a sample saying "I wanna be Ace Ventura"? At least he can make some good progressive!

The bassline is nice and deep and yeah, the further it moves on, the more i start appreciating it. It evolves to quite a piece of dark proggy. The atmo is kinda scary and the more it moves into this the more I like it. Hehe, and then the track appears to be finished. ^_^

Tribute 5:14

wtf is this?? "Boom Boom" "Boom Boom" "I wanna see ya sweat" overused house samples. No less than a retard pop song for finishers!

Wow, i'm totally stunned when that dreamy pad sways through... pure detroit style... in a breakbeat pop song with some black woman going "I wanna see ya sweat"??? I want this guy dead, NOW. I think it's a tribute song to some old pop icons. Listening this is more painful than pooing green and red poo. "Pass the mic" :suicide:

I'd really hoped for more real psysex in there but this album just seems like the final death stab for the project. I bet Udi will go solo under DJ Goblin proggy commy or continue to try and fool fans with the name Psysex. The proggy tracks are not that good except Back to Nature (well it isn't that good as well) and Hologram! Luckily like my impression from the preview samples, there are 3-4 good tracks in here with a decent feel to it. If you're into progressive and electro touches + psysex i guess this is your thang but for people like me who know and like the old and older sounds this is something rather hard to gallow down in it's whole.

favs: 4,6,7,8,9

6/10

http://www.psyshop.c.../hom1cd157.html

I like it, and it's the new psysex, not fooling anyone imo,

the hardcore blastoff was not that fast and overloaded compared to other releases in it's time period,

same over here,

he did a good job imo...

some new influences, true but change is normal imo ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I thought this was a pretty good release that gets better each time I hear it. There are a lot of different styles here. Psy, Prog, breakbeat, goa.... Megasex was my favorite as the old goa flavor shines. The last track is just a nice breakbeat track with house samples. I have heard a lot worse and found this to be very enjoyable.

Mdk

I thought this was a pretty good release that gets better each time I hear it. There are a lot of different styles here. Psy, Prog, breakybeat, goa.... Megasex was my favorite as the old goa flavor shines. The last track is just a nice breakbeat track with house samples. I have heard a lot worse and found this to be very enjoyable.

Mdky

[/quyote]

wow

• 2 weeks later...

WoW!!!

I've never been a big fan of Psysex and Israely psytrance sound in general (though i recognize that psysex stands out the average, for sure),

but i must admit this album has its point, especially tracks 7,8,9 and 10, which i'm listening to repeatedly this evening.

Deep, trippy, groovy and psychedelic.

I'm just going over the 4th listen of tracks 7-10, and yes, they rocks! Great sound!

Track # 10: Back to Nature is damn good, i love it.

Well done.

• 1 month later...

I'm really liking this cd.

Great flow.

Every track is different to each other, while being similar, and the whole cd flows in a great journey.

Some cool methods in the music to delight the mind.

Its like those albums you can listen again and again this season.

ps. I've only been listening to this cd on my work computer speakers which are just some cheap small ones.

• 7 months later...

I just got a DL'ed whole album in one track thingy, but still...

I'm in love, it has a great story to it beginning slow and evolving into the great psychedelic trance vibe psysex is known for.

i'm in love and will be hoping to buy this as soon as possible!

Edit: Didn't have to buy it, Udi sent me two copies for review, one I gave away to my mate Mattman (memeber of this forum) :D

Edited by psytones

• 1 year later...

Psysex – Healing (HOM-Mega Productions) 2008 (HMCD57)

The legendary Isreali psychedelic trance act Psysex, minus one essential person.

How does it sound, feel and most of all, does the magic still work?

Posted Image

01 Psysex - Intro 0:29

02 Psysex - Goa Human Experience 8:11

03 Psysex & Marcello V.O.R - Birth Of A Pitched Wave 9:07

04 Psysex & PTX - Hologram 9:00

05 Psysex & U-Recken - The Message 9:46

06 Psysex - Frectus 7:39

07 Psysex - Megasex 12:17

08 Psysex & Marcello V.O.R - Inertia 8:03

09 Psysex - Magnetic Heart Beat 0:36

10 Psysex - Back To Nature 8:45

11 Psysex - Tribute 5:15

(T1 – Intro) Wanna heal yourself. Is that it, is that why you came? This is the energy for you; it’s not an accident you’re here. Understand the nonlinearly of healing. That is metaphysical that it is not time dependent. Healing will be easier. Celebrate your healing. 10/10

Over the years with Psysex’ music we have always been a custom to their incredible trance driven power and their lust and love for humor and gags with touches of breakbeats in the background and fat bass lines. There was something about their mental foundation and glimpse of astral voyages which took most on a beautiful trip through the imaginaries of psychedelic System Exclusive. As time has passed and one important and beloved member has left the Psysex project to chase his own full-on progressive sound and smooth vision with the Ace Ventura moniker, DJ Goblin was left alone to give us perhaps the last album with the brand name, ‘Psysex’. Most people after Yoni left the group considered Psysex a closed chapter in the Isreali Psytrance book. But this was not to be the case as in 2008 DJ Goblin Aka Udi Sternberg decided to give it another go to create more of the delightful Psysex sounds we adore... with a twist.

On this album you will find the rule breaking sounds of tracks that play with electro, progressive, house and breaks with underlying hints of GoaTrance always present. So in other words, with the help of a couple of friends like U-Recken, PTX and Marcello, Udi has made a diverse sounding album that will please old fans of the Psysex sound as well as newcomers who are looking for something special in their electronic dance music alla Psytrance genre.

The album continues nicely from the healing intro into the Goa Human Experience (T2) which is playing on the psyche of who one is and where one belongs and where one comes from. It’s the everlasting question of Who-Am-Is and -where. This is a sort of break-beat oriented track with a strong electro approach, or the other way around! It’s got some delightful sprinkled synth-work that lifts the whole mood while a heavier beat based stomp interrupts so that your feet doesn’t levitate too far up in the air. The samples are sexy, curious and life questioning. 7/10

As the music continues and floats over to a different and steadier beat with again heavy electro influences, one starts to wonder if that cosmic Psysex trance drive will ever arrive. Birth of a Pitch Wave (T3) is in all its glory an interesting house based piece of a tune which has collaboration with a certain Marcello V.O.R. whom I know nothing about. But from the sounds of this track I guess he is into groovy Electro House, and I think this track with Psysex works its magic. It’s humping, sort of sexy at times and got some drum-works which develops into becoming an electro full-on number with pitching gliding in waves (though admittedly, the pitched waves becomes more irritating then enjoyable at times). 5/10

Next we have a more groove bass driven track with the help of a guy who calls himself PTX. PTX is a part of the whole Israeli full-on movement with acts like Black & White, Rocky, Onyx and Xerox & Illumination (at least according to his last album ‘Color Your Ears’ where these full-on acts are collaborating). Hologram (T4) starts out humping not going plastic full-on power at all. Instead it takes it’s time to build the groove and to let the senses catch the drift of where this hologram might fly – Colours are amazing, that’s for sure. Does this track induce vivid colours? With the help of some interesting samples the track seems steady yet a tad boring as there is little or no evolution though it does progressively build itself to embrace the rest of the album which with hope will become more trance induced and psysexerianated. 6/10

And so it seems, with the rolling end of Hologram comes a more powerful vibe with a strong sample of a man concerned about bringing you ‘this important message’. It is with the help of U-Reckon this message is delivered and the smell is a change of beats, bass and groove. Away flies the electro house grooves and in comes the steadier trance driven beats with full-on kick. The Message (T5) indicates a change in the albums flow. The bass and groove still lurks of house driven electro with some psychotic sounds running by its side. A lift is raised; a climax is built to a more or less familiar Psysex take-off. This is a track that morphs the electro house-break-beated foundation the previous tracks has provided with a more steady 4/4 bass line, which is more than welcome and a hope for an even stronger evolution in trance-drive after this track is to be cherished- A melody enters with a gratified smile, a beautiful piece with some lingering emotions carried by break-beats alla DJ Goblin. 7/10

With the Frectus (T6) comes a sound that should be recognized by most Psysex fans, it’s about Come in Peace, and from electro house vibes we are now being pulled inside a mentally grooved bass line which humps in a most sexy fashion with tingling sounds running by its path. A melody joins and it’s in the spirit of the previous track melody and sure enough, now we are beginning to feel the blast from the Psysex past with some more intense trance vibe seduction for the master blasters. Ah this is the kinetic flow I love, these grooves together with that synthetic blow is the best. Even the crowd in the background is so happy they scream and cheer for the Psysex trademark trance-flow. And the bass line ... Oh my erection it’s hard and phat! 9/10

It’s about time the album made a turn and became all Megasexy, because now after half an album filled with house electro pie; it’s a delight to get some real stompers of trance’n dance on the plate. Megasex (T7) is the longest track on the Healing album with its 12 minutes and 17 seconds. It follows hard in the previous tracks realm though the bass line is less jumpy and this time Udi has included a most appreciated synth. I donno what synth it is if it’s a 303, 604 or a 707. I have no clue, only thing I know is that it’s a classic and I love its screaming effect and strong drive. This track has a great drive and some voice samples that manage to confuse/settle things in that nice way. It’s about inner healing, and most of all, it’s about MEGAsexy megasex! 8.5/10

… After a massive blast from the trance past we are back with collaboration with this Marcello guy and this time the hump is still strong with vibrating bass lines for the ladies and killer leads for the gents. I guess this guy isn’t so electro house focused as I initially thought, or at least Udi with the track Inertia (T8) is leading the guy into more trance filled venues of strong precisions and foxy developments. It’s about going somewhere until you come to a hick’s field that keeps us going. A good track though it seems to fall into a sort of full-on ditch that I’m not overly keen on though it provides those lovely Psysex leading strings that makes the track fly in a psysexy way, which I always love and pursue. Nice healing sample with a tough follow-up dunk-a-dunk. 7/10

( .. ) and woof your thrown into a Magnetic Heart Beat (T9 - Pause) which is a nice paused piece with, well, magnetic heart beats. 10/10

-And Back to Nature (T10) we’re thrown. After a few strong and fast phased driven tracks the beat settles in to become more relaxed and back to the electro vibe with some funny sounds and yet again, a very sexy and hard driven wobbling bass line that just shakes the house so nicely the neighbor comes in for a swing. This track is swaying from being electro driven full-on to be house pumping electromagnetic fields of radioactive power juice. Also Udi uses samples from the Mescaline driven cowboy movie; ‘Blueberry’. And it’s done in a masterful way, a pleasure to listen and experience. 8/10

As a closer we get a track named Tribute (T11). I’m not sure if his voice thing is screwing up the word Boom boom or if it’s something totally different. But this track is about the groove anyway, not so much the boom. Here we get a more funk’d-up piece with some soul indulged voice samples from a woman in awe. The beat is varied not following either trance or house drives. Biggie beats for MC’s and Yo’s alike. It’s a sort of cool track with a strange ending up in da hood. 5/10

Recommendation: So Ok, what can I say, the magic is still there, vaguely. A couple of the tracks has the energetic Psysex drive I have always loved since I first heard a track from the duo (Also thinking about their earlier project named ‘Children of the Doc’ which is hyper cosmic trance driven with pie). For fans of Psysex and DJ Goblin they should do them self a favor and get this release. It might not be as trance driven as one might have hoped for but it has its shining moments and I have to give my respect for the overall flow of the albums journey. The evolution from electro house like psychedelic trance tunes to full-on driven galactic tunes out of this sexy universe is nice and makes a lot of sense though at times I’d wish for more interstellar journeys. Also worth the mentioning in the connected healing journey throughout the album is the varies samples of a dude and a dudette speaking about life important matters.

A big Up for the bass lines, some of the work put in is just immense, beautiful and roof shattering. The album art is nice enough with a faded heart surrounding large spray-can letters reading Healing with a classic Psysex logo on the lower bottom. My copy isn’t a jewelcase or a digipak. It seems to be a more cost reduced solution of cardboard which in my opinion is A-Ok because they compensated this with including not only a nice sticker, but also a DJ-slip which is highly appreciated in my book of standards.

7.5/10 (Because I gave both the intro and the pause track a 10 out of ten points)

Favorite Tracks: 1 (intro), 6(!!), 7 (!), 9 (pause), 10

Where to buy and other links:

DiscoSex: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Psysex

PsysexHome: http://www.psysex.org

HOM-Disco: http://www.discogs.com/label/HOM-Mega+Productions

HOM-e: http://www.hommega.com/newsletterPromo.php

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/hom/hom1cd157.html

Saikosounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7292

Beatport: https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/home/detail/1/beatport#app=ab19&a486-index=3

Play: http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/13703902/Healing/Product.html?searchstring=psysex&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

Goastore: http://www.goastore.ch/product_info.php?products_id=2323&osCsid=2abede2c631db44766531eef0d7182d4

More sexy reviews: http://www.myspace.com/psytonesmusic