Crapshit disaster

I just did a great automation session with Phoscyon. Just a simple background beat and an acid line through Phoscyon, repeated for about 7 minutes. I had automated step length, cutoff frequency and resonance to get a great, organic sounding acid track. Now I just needed to export the acid line, then process it a bit and arrange the drums and perhaps some pads. I exported the 7 minute squelch fest, but found that somehow, only about 4 bars of said squelch fest were contained in my audio file, the rest being complete silence. When I discovered this, I had just removed Phoscyon, and with it all my precious automation patterns, from the project to save my RAM.

That would have been a fucking hit. Ok, I still have the acid line itself there, but to automate 3 parameters, 7 minutes each, again, just to obtain a slightly worse result? That's not in question. I will sit here and be fucking mad.

Having a good day?

It could've been worse, the save could've been corrupted and you could've lost everything. I've lost 3 tracks that way

That's completely insane! I would go mad if a did that. I suppose you went even madder because your songs are actually good.

Reminds me a bit of when a project file of mine corrupted. I was lucky enough to have had exported the mixdown a bit prior to that. But I couldn't keep going on the track, so it got a rather dumb ending.

Eh old, tracks, actually I had this happen recently, but since long ago I've learned to save every save in a new file, so my projects end up in draft number names followed by edits, for example [track name] 5-3 for draft 5 and the 3rd time I've saved in that draft's session. Each time I save its a new file. This is fun too since you can go back to older versions of the song and hear how you built it up, or perhaps you might want to go back since an older direction was better than last night's session, stuff like that.

If you still don't save often enough some technical or hardware disaster could sneak up on you though and you still end up losing hours of work. Ofcourse when you go back you're not gonna be arsed to redo it, and even if you were it can never sound the same..often worse. If you have been saving each draft of your work you'd be able to go back and somehow get that automation back in, or at the very least render it out and put it in as a wav and continue from there. We all end up having to do this hardway when stuff like this happens...don't put too much faith in your hardware or software, its bound to fuck up when you most need it to work.

So you have to just take a few deep breaths, go outside and walk around to cool off abit, and vow that next time you'll just do even better than the work you did that you lost. This is what you should do :)

Eh old, tracks, actually I had this happen recently, but since long ago I've learned to save every save in a new file, so my projects end up in draft number names followed by edits, for example [track name] 5-3 for draft 5 and the 3rd time I've saved in that draft's session. Each time I save its a new file. This is fun too since you can go back to older versions of the song and hear how you built it up, or perhaps you might want to go back since an older direction was better than last night's session, stuff like that.

If you still don't save often enough some technical or hardware disaster could sneak up on you though and you still end up losing hours of work. Ofcourse when you go back you're not gonna be arsed to redo it, and even if you were it can never sound the same..often worse. If you have been saving each draft of your work you'd be able to go back and somehow get that automation back in, or at the very least render it out and put it in as a wav and continue from there. We all end up having to do this hardway when stuff like this happens...don't put too much faith in your hardware or software, its bound to fuck up when you most need it to work.

So you have to just take a few deep breaths, go outside and walk around to cool off abit, and vow that next time you'll just do even better than the work you did that you lost. This is what you should do :)

Inspirational thoughts, man! :posford: <--- climbing upwards

It could've been worse, the save could've been corrupted and you could've lost everything. I've lost 3 tracks that way

Oh man, one of the songs on the album I'm working on now got corrupted. The application quits when I try to open it. Luckily a backup copy of it is okay. :ph34r: There's no way I could have recreated that song from memory, and it would have totally thrown off the whole project to write a new, different song.

You can always make new automations, I know it wont sound like the original, but at least you can try to salvage something... But, whenever that's happened to me generally I get discouraged and forget about that track... But dont delete it, try letting it sit for a few months, let it get new again and see if you can make it something different.

You can always make new automations, I know it wont sound like the original, but at least you can try to salvage something... But, whenever that's happened to me generally I get discouraged and forget about that track... But dont delete it, try letting it sit for a few months, let it get new again and see if you can make it something different.

Hehe. The track was basically just a kick and snare (sampled, unprocessed) as a backing track and a single one-bar acid line. No worries. Just a bit of <_<

Yeah I know how that feels. I've lost a couple of dozen project files, all because I didn't have any cd burners in those days, and a new hard drive was too expensive. Anyhow, if it's only the automation you lost, you can allways try to make a new one, and there's no worry that it will sound worse, you can only get it better the next time in my opinion :)