Making the Leap

Yeah, a powerful computer is so important if you want to use a decent program. I hope you make a good decision. When I got my DAW back in early '06 I thought it was pretty hardcore. But, a year and a half later, to keep up with Cubase I had to upgrade. My original processor was an AMD Athlon dual core 3800+. At the time the AMD top of the line was 4800+, which was totally out of my price range. Last week I bought one for a little over US$100, and installed it Friday night. Easy on the wallet. Big difference. But that's as fast as this thing can go, being stuck with the 939 socket. Projecting forward, I'll probably need a new computer in two years, no matter how well it works right now. Frightening.

At some point I think its nessecary to just stop the arms race (both hardware and software-wise) for awhile and learn to use what you have to maximum effect. My studio computer I bought in late 2003 and is whatever the AMD equilavent of a PIV 1.7 was at the time (don't remember anymore). Only in the last 6 months or so have I really started to feel that its time to upgrade to a better computer. Then again I have aways tried to stay a few (or a ton now I guess) generations behind in my tech, if for no other reason than I can't afford it otherwise. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point I think its nessecary to just stop the arms race (both hardware and software-wise) for awhile and learn to use what you have to maximum effect. My studio computer I bought in late 2003 and is whatever the AMD equilavent of a PIV 1.7 was at the time (don't remember anymore). Only in the last 6 months or so have I really started to feel that its time to upgrade to a better computer. Then again I have aways tried to stay a few (or a ton now I guess) generations behind in my tech, if for no other reason than I can't afford it otherwise. :)

Very good advice. And I was very comfortable using Reason with what I had. But going to Cubase caused immediate problems, so basically I'd like to get to a comfortable point with all that. Which means having to feel things out, fall in love with some VSTs, and see what needs fixing. After that, I really plan to settle in for a while, because I really don't enjoy dealing with the technical aspects at all. It all seems aimed, ironically, at non-creators and spoken in some arcane language I don't understand, and basically stresses me out.