Headphones: Ultrasone PROLine 750's

So I'm getting myself a new pair of cans. It's about time, I've had these $20 sony's for ages now, and I think it's time for a move to something better. I'll mainly use them for music making and mixing. I don't intend to master with headphones, so I don't really need expensive cans.

Anyways, I've found out about the Ultrasone PROLine 750's, they fit my budget and most review sites say nice things about them, altho there are some words about "missing high frequencies" that I've read so I'm a bit worried. Should I buy these? Or if you can recommend me something in the similar price range would be great, let's say I've got about $530 or 380€ to spend. I'm looking for something that has a very flat sound, as in I don't want hi-fi headphones but something that can output the most original sound I could get for that price range (Yeah, I know I should get speakers, but I'm on a limited budget rite now + I like producing w/ headphones :)). Also something comfortable would be nice, even tho I've allready got used to these uncomfortable sony ones heh. :D

Check out AKG K701. I absolutely love'em. They are open headphones so they are for home type listening because they don't isolate outside sounds. They might be a tiny bit more expensive than your budget allows but I guess that depends on where you buy them (beware of shady online shops selling B-stock, refurbished stuff for cheap and always look for a warranty from the manufacturer).

I've heard good things about Grado headphones. Also Sennheiser HD series might be good too. I also have Sennheiser HD-280 and they do a good job of isolationg the outside sound (so they would be good for DJ-ing). They are very inexpensive and probably the best you can find for that price range which is much less than your budget.

Grado, AKG and Sennheiser are really the leaders in commercially produced headphones. Many of their models satisfy the needs of the leading proffesional recording studios so you should be able to find something for you.

Check out AKG K701. I absolutely love'em. They are open headphones so they are for home type listening because they don't isolate outside sounds. They might be a tiny bit more expensive than your budget allows but I guess that depends on where you buy them (beware of shady online shops selling B-stock, refurbished stuff for cheap and always look for a warranty from the manufacturer).

I've heard good things about Grado headphones. Also Sennheiser HD series might be good too. I also have Sennheiser HD-280 and they do a good job of isolationg the outside sound (so they would be good for DJ-ing). They are very inexpensive and probably the best you can find for that price range which is much less than your budget.

Grado, AKG and Sennheiser are really the leaders in commercially produced headphones. Many of their models satisfy the needs of the leading proffesional recording studios so you should be able to find something for you.

Review of Ultrasone Proline 750s from one of the more reliable sources

Agree with the K701 recommendation. I've had mine for several months now and I practically live in them for home listening and production monitoring. I've gone through lots of headphones and never before have I been able to leave my amp EQ flat like the AKGs demand. You should be able to pick some up for under US$400, and you'll probably never want for better, more authentic sound.

And yeah, the HD-280pros are fantastic for isolation and DJing - immersing yourself in huge sound. Big bang for the buck.

Check out the reviews of both of these headphones at the site I linked, and maybe do some further reading if you're still not convinced.

i would get different headphones for djing (i assume thats what you mean by mixing) and for production. For production you want flat ones indeed.. for djing you d prolly want one with a light boost of bass to make the mixing easier (goes less for hiphop and dnb if you are mixing that by any chance). For djing i recommend the rpdj 1210 by technics. But there is many threads already by about dj headphones i think. Check em out.

Good luck!

Nah I must of posted it wrong, I want headphones for production only. So Flat is what I'm looking for. Thanx for all the recommendations. Altho I'm a bit sceptic when it comes to AKG, I had one of these I think it was the AKG K701, I found them in a warehouse where I work at. They were probably very old and I didn't quite like the sound that came from them, sounded a bit weak, but it most of been a very old set of cans. And recently I've bought some AKG's for my ipod, I didn't like those either.

As far as I know Ultrasone are a bit new to the market, but I've allready heard good things about them. Grado's are top of the line, but they can be quite expensive, and I'd probably have to order them online (I'd rather not, I don't trust online stores tbh). I'm very interested in Sennheiser's tho. Maybe that would be an even better choice. I do want closed ones tho, I want to isolate myself from the sound outside because I live near a very busy street, lot's of traffic. Thanx again for your recommendations :)

Nah I must of posted it wrong, I want headphones for production only. So Flat is what I'm looking for. Thanx for all the recommendations. Altho I'm a bit sceptic when it comes to AKG, I had one of these I think it was the AKG K701, I found them in a warehouse where I work at. They were probably very old and I didn't quite like the sound that came from them, sounded a bit weak, but it most of been a very old set of cans. And recently I've bought some AKG's for my ipod, I didn't like those either.

As far as I know Ultrasone are a bit new to the market, but I've allready heard good things about them. Grado's are top of the line, but they can be quite expensive, and I'd probably have to order them online (I'd rather not, I don't trust online stores tbh). I'm very interested in Sennheiser's tho. Maybe that would be an even better choice. I do want closed ones tho, I want to isolate myself from the sound outside because I live near a very busy street, lot's of traffic. Thanx again for your recommendations :)

Are you sure you tried the K701 headphones? They're not that old. They're white, with gray details. And remember, when it comes to monitoring you want to make sure that the sound you're getting is accurate, and will therefore translate well. If, for instance, you get a pair with the bass boosted or that lacks midrange, your settings will be off.

Also, you're probably aware that most audiophile headphones require about 100 hours or so of use before their sound adjusts to the right levels. If you have very sensitive ears, perhaps you were put off by the "tinny" sound that brand new high end headphones can have.

Sennheiser is also a very good bet, especially with their higher end phones, as is Beyer Dynamic. Grado, seems to me, is more for the listener than the producer. I'd steer clear of Ultrasone until they've proven themselves, since you have a few very good options with the amount of money you have to spend...and the K701s are probably your best option.

• 1 month later...

I'd recomment Beyerdynamic DT770.

Link

Great for mixing, quite comfortable and they isolate pretty well.

I wouldn't recommend PROline 750 because these are the most uncomfortable headphones in the industry, GUARENTEED.

They are just a torture to wear, believe me.

if you do go for the 750's, then beware of their bright nature, they could be very unpleasant if not amped properly.

Also stay away from Grado and Sennheiser as they are open cans.

• 2 weeks later...

Also stay away from Grado and Sennheiser as they are open cans.

Not all Sennheiser are open. HD-280 pro are closed and isolate the sound really good.

Their nickname "Sony killers" fits them well as they are pretty much unbeatable at that price range.

Not all Sennheiser are open. HD-280 pro are closed and isolate the sound really good.

Their nickname "Sony killers" fits them well as they are pretty much unbeatable at that price range.

I took your folks' advice like usual on things and did go for the 701's. They're on there way. I can't afford the other kind of monitors right now sooo the cans will have to do for awhile. Excited to receive and use them.

When I pretend-spun vinyl, I used Pioneer HDJ-1000's. They were great for mixing, but they kind of muttered the mid-range frequencies and the ultra-low frequencies weren't well, heard very well.

I took your folks' advice like usual on things and did go for the 701's. They're on there way. I can't afford the other kind of monitors right now sooo the cans will have to do for awhile. Excited to receive and use them.

Awesome. You won't be disappointed, man.

Lol, it was definately not the k701's that I've tried. The ones that I did try were probably a very old model, afaik I've read thru the sites and it said they go way back to the 90s. Can't remember the model tho. However, I gave another thought and I think I'm gonna get the AKG K701's. I've read so much good reviews on the net, everyone seems so happy with it :).

Says that it needs a couple of hundrer hours of burn-in before you can experience their real sound. Also says that I'll need a headphone amplifier. Just checked the prices, they're quite expensive :|. Oh well, perfection doesn't come cheap I guess :P. I'm ordering them as soon as I get my payched which should be in about 2 weeks :posford:

djing - sennheiser hd25

producing - dont use headphones!!!

I suppose, but financially, I don't want to go out and buy a 200 dollar pair of monitors that won't do the job for me. It may just be me, but I feel like doing so would subtract me 200 dollars from having a good set of monitors down the line. It won't take that long to get the money for a set of used monitors that I know I'll be happy with. I also don't think using headphones in a limited sense is going to be too bogus. The nice thing about these is due to their high recommendations, I'll be able to use them elsewhere in different applications whereas monitors, when I do buy them, would stay in one spot, on top of the desk. :)

I do get the picture though! :) If my D-550 sells for what I'm looking to get out of it, I will have acquired enough to buy a used set of some mackie hr824. When I had a mixing studio [i rented a real studio space, yeah. it was the best thing during those years going on in my life ;)], I owned a pair of SRM450's sitting up on stands and it kind of gave me a Mackie bug. I don't know about other monitors and if anybody has some suggestions...well, check the new thread started! :)

-d