The "I'd like to start producing but ain't got a clue" topic

Guest Astro Cortex

Guest Astro Cortex

So I've been really thinking about getting started lately......getting some good music making software and just try to become acquainted with it as much as possible. I checked some prices and found that they're really expensive, much more than I thought they were! So I'm not quite sure whether it would be worth the investment for me, as I'm a bit worried about giving up on it when I realize that I won't make any satisfying progress within a long time period, due to sheer lack of spare time (studies of course, even the semester breaks will be full of various shit this year and the next). What I need is some good recommendation on what software to buy - of course I've heard about a few (Reason, Cubase, Reaktor, Ableton Live,......) but generally I have very little knowledge of the whole matter. Basically I want something that...

1) won't take me ages to get used to

2) offers a wide enough range of possibilities, i.e. won't make me invest another hew hundreds of €'s in additional gear too soon

I see that most of you people use various different hard- and software synths, and maybe you can tell me what is being used for what and how often etc., so I might get an idea of what is actually required to get proper results. Doesn't make much sense of course, as everyone has different visions and requirements, but y'know I'm basically a poor student, so naturally I'd like to achieve as much as possible with as little as possible. :rolleyes::)

well, as for your 1), Im not sure such a program exists! :P

I use Renoise Tracker, which costs less than 100 euro. Its a tracker though, and a bit less user-friendly than Cubase or Reason... Ive used trackers for years so Ive had a bit of an introduction...

www.renoise.com You can check out a demo, the only thing that is restricted is the output of tracks, and ASIO support. ANd a nagscreen pops up now and then...

You can find a ton of totally free VSTi's here: www.kvraudio.com

THe search is great.

Some free VSTs I recommend

Synth1

Microgram

Claw

EZpoly

PolyIblit

SH-101

Delay Lama

Triangle II

I use a sample for basses, but Triangle II can make some pretty decent basses too. Preset "bass04" works off-the-shelf.

As for percussion, you can use VSTs:

Drumatic (different versions)

I use samples, mainly from the Nano sample pack (Check Jikkenteki's 'Synth1 Challenge' for links)

Renoise has a bunch of effects built in, but you can also find a ton on KVR.

Just search the name of the effect you want.

I use a ton of delay, reverb, flangers, phasers, filters, panners, spatialisers.... Search around KVR, Im sure you'll find something you like. the MDA effect pack has some particularly useful FX.

Well, hope this is a bit of a help!

well, i´d say, as you are a poor student, dont invest money, get to know *cough cough* warez, or deal with the demo versions first...

some suggestions what to check out:

sequencers:

Ableton Live

Fruity Loops

Synths:

Vanguard (leads and pads)

and a bassline synth like muon tau, phoscyon, vb-1 or audiorealism bassline

drumatic (free)

you can download kjaerhus audio classic series plugin pack for free on their website, which is a good collection of effects...

i think this would be a good start then.

ableton live has a great interactive in build tutorial, i think its even available in demo version... check it out as a insight.

fruity comes with a getting started guide.. which is a bit harder to understand..

read reviews on which sequencer to choose, then check out demo.

Just so you know, too, its definitely going to take a while before you can get those 'clean' sounds. But don't be discouraged! It will come to you eventually. Keep at it, and don't give up no matter how bad you think you are.

I tried for years to make nice sounds and got nothing. But then all of a sudden, something clicked in my brain or something, and now Ive been able to make some nice clean sounds. Some take a long time, like I did, some get it right away.

Honestly, I would get a copy of a recent version of FL Studio and start playing around a little (play should always be important, I think). It's very easy to use, but can also be very powerful. And no keyboard is necessary, although at least a small keyboard/controller is recommended. FL Studio will get you accustomed to the workings of a traditional sequencer as well as give you some experience with plugins. It will also give you an idea of what sort of compositions are natural to you and what sort of sound you enjoy (because even if you think you want to sound like some pre-existing music, often your own "voice" will end up sounding differently), and ultimately what you'll want from a more advanced system.

Then when you get to the point when you start to know what you're doing and what you want (don't get too hooked on FL Studio), start researching all the popular programs you've undoubtedly heard of.

And then also really do yourself a favor and look into all the other technology out there that has not become popular for one reason or other, because there are a lot of companies making some very interesting technology that is attempting to break out of the traditional boxed-in mode of most popular sequencers and make the creative process more creative (ultimately leading to a more original sound than those using popular programs).

Guest Astro Cortex

Cool, thanks a lot for your advice!

I downloaded the demo version of FL studio, that'll keep me busy for a while now...

:)

Cool, thanks a lot for your advice!

I downloaded the demo version of FL studio, that'll keep me busy for a while now...

:)

Cool. Another word of advice from my own experience: Don't be too impatient. Sequencers are merely music-making tools. They don't read your mind and they don't create the music for you. Like with anything, the more experience you acquire, the easier it will get to translate the ideas in your head to music, and the better the music will get. It's a very long but ultimately fulfilling climb if your heart is in it every step of the way.

Also, Astro, I'm familiar with your musical taste by now, and have a basic sense of the stuff I think you'd like to create, so if you feel like sharing anything with me, feel free to send it along and I'll give you my two cents of feedback. Good luck to you! :D

Guest Astro Cortex

Cool. Another word of advice from my own experience: Don't be too impatient. Sequencers are merely music-making tools. They don't read your mind and they don't create the music for you. Like with anything, the more experience you acquire, the easier it will get to translate the ideas in your head to music, and the better the music will get. It's a very long but ultimately fulfilling climb if your heart is in it every step of the way.

Also, Astro, I'm familiar with your musical taste by now, and have a basic sense of the stuff I think you'd like to create, so if you feel like sharing anything with me, feel free to send it along and I'll give you my two cents of feedback. Good luck to you! :D

Hehe, actually I have loads of different stuff playing in my head, so I have no idea yet what style will actually work for me, and what will be ultimately realizable. But I'll try to keep patient, that's for sure ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ima going to bum in on this thread.

My brother just got Tracktion and I really wanted to start making trance (goa, psy) while he starts on breaks and drum n bass. For the trance part, is there anywhere useful that helps you start if your a complete beginner? What sounds you should be using, certain layouts and how do add in, break down, built up or whatever you want to say your average trane tune would contain? Not for the program itself, just trance music in general.

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to helpout!

Guest The Journey Man Project

check out www.isrtrance.com music making section... some good tips in there... in particular check out Mike A's tutorial on how to make a bassline and kick... I liked it a low and stillrefer ot it oftne