speakes & monitors

they say for producing music you need (active is the best) monitors or a montior headpone because it has the effect that you hear all the sounds better when you produce music...

it's more digital, very crystal clear but easier for the human ear to understand the layers in the music cause everything is presented on it's own, not as a concept, each sound you hear perfect uniflitered,

with analoge or regular speakes (who can be digital I know) you don't have that (don't know certain about the digitalsà and that same music sounds warmer, more like a concpet, one floathing track...

but everybody who produces makes music for people to homelistening, and I think 90% procent hasn't monitors of 2000 euro/each attached to his soundsystem,

do produces just do that just for parties then ?

if not ?

is it possible to make goa on very good speakers but not monitors...

just a wonder, maybe stupid question...

who says I'm smart :P

they say for producing music you need (active is the best) monitors or a montior headpone because it has the effect that you hear all the sounds better when you produce music...

it's more digital, very crystal clear but easier for the human ear to understand the layers in the music cause everything is presented on it's own, not as a concept, each sound you hear perfect uniflitered,

with analoge or regular speakes (who can be digital I know) you don't have that (don't know certain about the digitalsà and that same music sounds warmer, more like a concpet, one floathing track...

but everybody who produces makes music for people to homelistening, and I think 90% procent hasn't monitors of 2000 euro/each attached to his soundsystem,

do produces just do that just for parties then ?

if not ?

is it possible to make goa on very good speakers but not monitors...

just a wonder, maybe stupid question...

who says I'm smart :P

No, we use monitor speakers to ensure we dont damage your ears :P:)

The producers I have talked to use both a pair of specialized studio monitors and a pair of standard home-use speakers.

They listen through both and make shure that the sound is good on each.

I heard one guy say that he always listened to his mixes in his car afterwards.

let me explain.

first of all - there is no such thing as digital speakers, of any kind. if there is something called a "digital speaker" then maybe it can accept digital inputs, but then it gets converted to analog. the moving parts in the speakers don't know how to play 0's and 1's, only an analog wave signal.

now, about studio monitors and the rest. regular speakers are designed to sound "preety", according to taste. that is - they emphasize certain frequency ranges and lower some others to give the speaker a certain "color". so lets say you're writing a track on a sound system with low trebles and a boomy subwoofer. because of the lower trebles you won't hear them properly, which can results in all kinds of errors in the mix - too much or the opposite for example. the boomy subwoofer will cause you to not know if you don't have enough bass. it will sound boomy anyway because of the subwoofer. studio monitors (at least the good expensive ones) have a near flat frequency response, which means that whatever you make will (theoritically) sound good on any other system.

the second aspect of studio monitors is the accuracy of sound reproduction. let's say you have an error in your mix. a sudden peak when having 2 hi-hats together or something. a not good speaker, even if it has a good freq response will not be able to reproduce this peak. some speakers will, some won't. if you have monitors you will hear it and be able to fix it so it will sound good on all speakers.

there is much more to write but i think you got the idea. :)

good luck!

when you buy monitors, you get a paper sheet with them, a graph wich shows a test they have passed, the sound they produce is "linear" (almost).

that is the difference to normal speakers and on that example you can pretty good imagine what normal speakers do with your sound.

like mike explained..

let me explain.

first of all - there is no such thing as digital speakers, of any kind. if there is something called a "digital speaker" then maybe it can accept digital inputs, but then it gets converted to analog. the moving parts in the speakers don't know how to play 0's and 1's, only an analog wave signal.

now, about studio monitors and the rest. regular speakers are designed to sound "preety", according to taste. that is - they emphasize certain frequency ranges and lower some others to give the speaker a certain "color". so lets say you're writing a track on a sound system with low trebles and a boomy subwoofer. because of the lower trebles you won't hear them properly, which can results in all kinds of errors in the mix - too much or the opposite for example. the boomy subwoofer will cause you to not know if you don't have enough bass. it will sound boomy anyway because of the subwoofer. studio monitors (at least the good expensive ones) have a near flat frequency response, which means that whatever you make will (theoritically) sound good on any other system.

the second aspect of studio monitors is the accuracy of sound reproduction. let's say you have an error in your mix. a sudden peak when having 2 hi-hats together or something. a not good speaker, even if it has a good freq response will not be able to reproduce this peak. some speakers will, some won't. if you have monitors you will hear it and be able to fix it so it will sound good on all speakers.

there is much more to write but i think you got the idea. :)

good luck!

woooooow very good answer, thanx my friend, indeed majure reason and probably many more why monitors...

great info !

my 5 cents

i use old tannoy pbm 8mkII and yamaha ns-10.

its not a must to have expensive monitors but some level of sound must be of course delivered.

why some peolpe like to check in the car or under the bath or in the kitchen?

because they know this sound very well so its easy for them to judge is all fine or not.

i can not swear i would do better mix on even Lipinski loudspeakers without knowing them well.

i know my eqiupement and i really feel (somethimes more than hear) thet somethig will have an sonic impact or sounds perfect.

so main feature of minitors or speakers you use is are they predictable. if you made mistake many times and you still doing it so this is a time to make decission about changing monitors. on other hand if you feel pretty sure about your even extraordinary sonical experiments and all says that its sonically and techincally correct that means you monitors are good for you.

so dont look at the price, dont look what other are saying, just try to learn and sum up are you able to learn your speakers or they are piece of shit.

yeah, mike explained it for real.

By the way, can I interrupt by asking a question? :D

Are there any good cheaper studio monitors?

Please mark a price tag and a model. :)

Thanks!!!

P.S. Sorry Sideffect... :(

check out ESI near 05 / near 06

Boom :)

One of the main objectives in mixing is to ensure that the mix sounds the same everywhere. That's where good monitors have an advantage. You might get a good mix on less than good monitors, but it might not sound good on every other sound system. That's why mixing engineers (responsible ones, that is) check their mixes on a variety of systems, not just in the studio. Including car stereos and portable boomboxes.

I have less than good monitors. And I struggle to get mixes that sound the same everywhere. I'm constantly checking on the home stereo, the car, and the discman.

Are there any good cheaper studio monitors?

Please mark a price tag and a model. :)

how much is "cheaper"? numbers :)

just try to learn and sum up are you able to learn your speakers or they are piece of shit.

learning the speakers is ok, until a limit. i own tannoy reveal and i know them preety well, but i also know where they suck so i still can't mix properly on them. looking forward for adam p11 in the future.

One of the main objectives in mixing is to ensure that the mix sounds the same everywhere. That's where good monitors have an advantage. You might get a good mix on less than good monitors, but it might not sound good on every other sound system. That's why mixing engineers (responsible ones, that is) check their mixes on a variety of systems, not just in the studio. Including car stereos and portable boomboxes.

I have less than good monitors. And I struggle to get mixes that sound the same everywhere. I'm constantly checking on the home stereo, the car, and the discman.

if your monitors are good and you get a good mix on them, then it's a good mix. an engineer has to be sure that whatever he makes is good. that's the point of monitors. it's hard to achieve on less then top notch monitors though. also takes a lot longer to mix on crappy monitors to reach the same result with good monitors. with bad ones it may sound wrong but you may not be sure what is wrong, with good ones it sort of written on the wall what's wrong ;)