don t like shpongle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bahamut

Posford is certainly NOT the reborn Mozart. The difference between them is immeasurable. Just for the record :)

what does strike me about Shpongle is that their music has sooo many different sounds and effects and it all fits together very smoothly

where the hell does he get all those sounds from, sample cd's?

it's funny that some people like mr cheroot say that something "sucks ass".. and don't explain at all why it actually sucks..

some other people mention "cheesy flutes" but may I just aks what the hell is "cheesy"? is flute a cheesy instrument? or is it the melodies that are played? are all melodies cheesy? if not.. what's the difference between cheesy fluit line and cool fluit line?

Guest Zaramatu

The only two musicians nowadays who is skilled enough to be counted in the same division as Mozart and J.S. Bach is definitely Klaus Schulze and Vangelis. Like Bahamut said, Posford is nowhere near a reborn Mozart.

the thing about his flute is that he plays the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over again (hehe, I think I made my point.. ) ;)

I mean it's practically the same flutlines in TIP - Mystical Experiences as in Shpongle1,2 and Yeti.. prolly the same flutlines in all his projects..

and yeah, I am exaggerating a little ;)

Guest Dr. Cheroot

well, traveller,

i really was trying to be funny, but guess i'm failed miserably. so i'll be blunt.

can you tell me why britney spears sucks ass even though there's a hundred times more people listening to her music than there are shpongle-haters and shpongle-lovers put together.

how would u like it if those people said YOU are "ignorant", "should stop doing drugs", "should listen to britney spears on drugs" or stuff like that ????

"don't explain at all why it actually sucks.."

i bought the first (and my last) shpongle CD, listened to it once, listened to it a second time. then i read the title of the CD again to make sure i had the same album half the trance world was raving about. that was the first time i thought shpongle sucks ass.

trust me, i have tried at least 6-7 times over the last 2 years to listen to that CD again, but never have i been able to past 2-3 tracks.

i don't believe i need to answer anyone on why shpongle sucks ass, it's just my taste.

"don't like it.. fine.. but why do you have to tell us that? "

huh?

firstly, have u counted the number of threads shoving shpongle exhaltations in our faces and saying how simon and raja are gods and no one ever in the history or the future of music has ever or will ever make such music.

i truly hope they don't.

secondly, i refrain from starting such topics, but if somebody does, hey, i'm pretty likely to join in.

like right now.

:)

Guest Honguito

I think that the reason why "there's a hundred times more people listening to Britneys music than there are shpongle-haters and shpongle-lovers put together" is because she has bigger boobs than what Raja Ram and Posford have together.

"don t like shpongle

Author: lespagnol (---.utc.fr)

Date: 10-24-02 17:44

is it a crime ?...."

No. I'm just gonna repeat what Unikos said... some people likes strawberries and other likes more blueberries.

Guest veridia

I dont see how Shpongle fans are any different from fans of any other band... especially the fans of the way overrated rockgroup, Radiohead.

I like Shpongle BTW, very interesting music.

Guest lespagnol

I m really astonished by the number of replys ..wow .I don t like shpongle only because of their "weird sound" or because of the complexity .I m listening to psy trance and ambient since more than 5 years and those weird electronics sounds don t disturb me that much .the fact is that I bought the asura album this summer and i really Really REALLY enjoyed this album.Their music gives a lot of emotions each time I play it in my room.

I really prefer celtic cross to shpongle but I don t know why .I don t do drugs too , I only smoke a little joint per week and I m sure that I could understand the music of simon better than a lsd junky...

Guest stringtheory

EP: First off Drugs have nothing to do with Sphongle. If a person wants to take drugs, or not take drugs, while listening...then so be it. But Drugs are not fundementally inherent or neccessary to the music.

And of your statements regarding talent levels...I could not disagree with you more. Like you I have listened to an extensive amount of music and Shpongle ranks among the best I have ever heard. Conceptually there are not many artists out there that can sit in the same room with Posford and Ram. There music is complex, beautiful and at times obscurely abstract. Other times it may be obvious what is going on. But like Pink Floyd...the fundamental mood, flow and concept on the album stays in tact and everything builds on everything else. Is Shpongle for everyone ??? No of course not. Is Shpongle complicated, intelligent, beautiful music...Absolutely. BTW...FSOL is a great band...but not in the same universe as Shpongle. FSOL makes wonderful music. But they do not begin to produce the emotional journey that one takes when listening to Posford (I have not heard Inness...which I have read has a very different feel to it) Tales of the Inexpressible is one of the greatest albums ever made. It goes beyond genres. It is trully a piece of art.

On most issues EP you and I do not agree. We are often polar opposites. But I certainly enjoying debating issues with you my friend :-)

Well I've said it before: I don't understand all the hype around Posford and Shpongle except for the idea that someone has to be on top, and the masses will keep him there out of a psychological need for a sense of belonging, and in this way Shpongle's an easier choice because the people who like Shpongle are often, not always, fans of the drugs that Posford and Raja Ram speak about, which creates a sense of community among the fans.

Not just anyone can be on top, however, the person's gotta have some talent, and I agree that Posford has some talent (not even close to Mozart, by the way, whoever made that silly comment), but his talent is mostly in taking people by surprise rather than creating solid music. This attempt to take people by surprise is far too explicit for me to enjoy. I prefer subtlety in my music, not just shock for shock's sake, or complexity for complexity's sake (complexity is also a form of shock).

There's a SHITLOAD of similar music that I'd rather listen to, because it's artful in a deeper, more subtle and even simpler sense, but a sense that speaks musically to me nevertheless. :)

Guest bugbread

EA:

You may have a point overall, but keep in mind that, as with anything, it does not apply to everything. Case in point: I bought the first Shpongle album before I started reading Psynews. The only input on psy I had was from the people in my community, and in Japan, that means SUN Project, Juno Reactor, and Talamasca are god, with a strong undercurrent of minimal. Nobody listens to chill/ambient, and I had never heard of Shpongle. I read a cover blurb on an album with a goofy mask and it mentioned that it had Simon P in it. I liked his work from Hallucinogen a whole lot (though I had no idea that he was worshipped so much. As far as I knew, Psysex was way more popular in the psy community). The album rocked my world, but I heard little about it in the surrounding community. Then I got the second album, and was floored by it. The most common reaction around me was "Huh, it's kinda weird. It isn't ambient, but it isn't dance, so I can't use it". Whatever that means. But I thought, "Holy fuck, I like this album!!!"

Then I come onto Psynews and discover that Simon is some sort of universal paragon of psy music, and that people think Shpongle is great.

My point is, some people don't like Shpongle because it's famous, but just because they like it.

And, just for the record, ironically, though I love Shpongle, I really don't care one way or the other about Raja Ram. His flute is fine and all, but he is not what I'd call a highly talented individual.

Guest Elysium Project

I too enjoy debating with you stringtheory and even as you said we rarely agree, if ever?, I do respect your opinion :-)

take care

Guest stringtheory

Epic: As with EP, this is an issue you and I will never see eye to eye on my friend. I don't listen to any music only because it is complicated. While I do respect and admire complexity in many things, I also equally respect and admire subtlety. I love the complex nature of Posford produced work. Although at times he adds certain pieces that are very subtle. I also love artists that approach music in different ways. I love something that is so subtle that it becomes artfully complex in its concept. IE Electric Skychurch, Sigur Ros, Infected Mushroom: B.P. Empire etc. The changes are so small but yet profound because they affect the entire feel and flow of each track/album.

Do you reject complexity completely though ?? Mozart was utterly complex, and his music reflected that. My favorite band...Tool...is by far the most complex rock band I have ever heard. That complexity is not for shock value or anything else...but it is inherent to the music as it is a by product of the individuals being supremely talented musicians. Not only is the music complex...but the concepts created and expressed therein are complicated and equally complex. At the very same time...they are able to add subtle changes that are as profound to the artistic integrity of the work as the complex ones. I think one should be careful of dismissing something only on the grounds that it is too complicated or too subtle. What is important is the artistic and creative ideas being expressed. The work should be judged more on the end product than on the individual pieces that produce it.

Peace My Friend :-)

• 5 years later...

"don t like shpongle

Author: lespagnol (---.utc.fr)

Date: 10-24-02 17:44

is it a crime ?...."

No. I'm just gonna repeat what Unikos said... some people likes strawberries and other likes more blueberries.

strawberries111111111111!!!!!1!!1!!1!1!!!1!1!1

MOZART DONT DO THE TRICK FOR ME ANYMORE

Listening to shpongle- are you shpongled for the second time and i cant say that i dont like it. :)

anyway how can anyone not like it? i mean chill music is great to listen to anytime .. and i havent really come across ambient that i hate to be honest. There can be music thats not exceptional but never music which one can hate. all this jazz about i hate some chill artist is done to grab some eyeball attention, thats all, IMO.