O.O.O.D - Free Range

NEMO.BOFH

Hey Jon, thanks so much for voicing your thoughts, I'm really glad you like it as a whole.

I agree that Eye of the Beholder is a standout on the album, and this is why we decided to use it as the last track. However I think you are indeed asking a lot of us to produce an album full of material with the same vibe, as - let's not forget - that track was written with and arranged and produced and engineered by someone who has no part on this next album! Basically, you can ask for whatever you want from us (as of course you can with any artist), but in the end we can only write what we write. You will be disappointed if you're expecting an album full of Eye of the Beholder. All I can promise is that we are taking as much care and time and putting as much love into this next album as we did with the last, and that the end result will be something that we as a band are all individually proud to put our names against. Free Range was what I call a 'fuck it' album - "fuck what everyone else thinks, fuck trying to sell shitloads of copies, fuck getting lots of gigs off the back of it, let's just make the record WE want to make and make it the best fucking record we possibly can". FourThought has a similar attitude in its creation at the moment and I'm sure it will surprise some people, for good or ill... whether this will translate to a similarly good set of reviews is another matter; I have hopes but no expectations. It would be great if it did... if not though, well fuck it. :P

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed dropping a comment on this one... It somehow managed to slip my mind...

This is indeed quite an entertaining piece of work. I never quite thought each track is a masterpiece, but they all deliver a little something to make the album come across as a more enjoyable entity. I still get the most out of "Free Range" when playing it start to finish. There are certain tracks, such as Smoke A Lot (Ricochet Mix) and Marijuajuana, which don't say much to me on their own, but within the context of the full album, quality listening is guaranteed.

But then there are simply beautiful toons like the title track, Free Range, which sets new standards in positively charged electronic music, if some exaggeration is allowed. It is so mind opening, so honest in its intention to lift an entire dance crowd up to the moon- the last few minutes of it are simply beyond words. They won't suffice. Oh My (Good Golly Me) and Rock My Soul (Joker Vs. Operator Mix) don't fall far behind, as both are highly original, top of the line party numbers, while successfully flirting with vocal snippets/humorous samples, without sounding tiresome or dull. In fact, as quite a few reviewrs stated before me, a vast majority of the album tends not to take itself too seriously, but it's done in a way that its maturity and credibility don't get compromised. It's fun all the way sure, but hard work, lots of effort and skill drip out of every one of its pores!

"Free Range" won't ignite any revolutions or alter the way I percieve music, but God forbid a world where every musical album had to. Thus far it has provided me with a fair dosage of listening sessions, and I hope it continues to do so. In my own little private world, O.O.O.D.'s third output does not reach the insanely high standars created by the previous two, but honestly, comparing is out of the question here. Those were some other times and listeners had different demands and criteria. Nonetheless, they crafted a great album here. No more, no less. Home listeners or feet stomping party freaks should be impressed alike. "Free Range" has enough treats to go around and satisfy everyone.

...Free Range was what I call a 'fuck it' album - "fuck what everyone else thinks, fuck trying to sell shitloads of copies, fuck getting lots of gigs off the back of it, let's just make the record WE want to make and make it the best fucking record we possibly can"...

If you ask me you can fuck around as much as you wish. If "Free Range" was a 'fuck it' album, and still it ranked the best 2006 album in my book, then I'm scared to think what you can come up with if you employ more serious attitude...

Bring it on, then! And new VoC album too :):D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 12 years later...