V/A - Dissolving Clouds

Snapinho

Posted Image

1 Eat Static - UFO over Trenchtown

"Suppose that flying saucer, or whatever it was, had anything to do with this?" Imagine what you'd get when you put Eat Static somewhere in a government yard. Exactly. Deep, alienesc dub, trippy sounds, spacey percussion: as dub is meant to sound. This'll lift your mood immediately and will make your head bounce. Great track!

2 Gaudi vs. Tripswitch - Subdown

Personally I expected more of this collaboration. The atmosphere is indeed floating and warm, but the song doesnt seem to head anywhere in particular. It's okay, but not something that would stand out if it were played in the chillout.

3 Kaya Project - From Raag to Ragga

Maybe it's an overkill of ethnic influences, maybe I've been overexposed or maybe it's just not my style. I know a lot of people are really into Kaya Project, but the Hindi singing becomes too much, as do all of the other worldmusic sounds. It doesn't chill me down, which it should!

4 Alex Theory - Voodoo Dub

This song starts off with good old reggae guitar sounds, after which the percussion hits and the altogether dubvibe is created. Echoeing sounds all over, a mystic lady singing something like (and I know when you write down it sounds silly but I'ma do it anyway) "woooohaaaahoohoohooooo..." which makes you hate yourself for not lying on a sunny brazilian beach, drinking cocktails and listening to this from underneath a coconut-tree. A really spacey and dubby vibe, not totally dub, but indeed totally chill. Good emotional floating song. I like it!

5 Liquid Stranger - Liquid Stranger On The Run

"Liquid stranger on the run!" Come down my selecta, this is hardcoredancehalldub! And yes, I mean that in a really positive way. Somewhat aggresive dub, making you nod your head and move your feet. The music comes up slow and when it hits, you think: yes! Very groovy and reggae-ish track, I'm not really a fan of vocals (let alone rap) and this shouldnt be any exception, but it does work. I guess the floating flutey sounds make up for that. Really catchy flute-melody that sticks in your head a long while after the sing has finished.

6 Blowbag - Legion of Green Men

This one starts with a sort of fat crunchy broken beat , which gets filled by a real spacey organ-like sound. This melody haunts from underneath that fat groovey broken beat and its again something different. A lot of starship-like sounds in here, followed by cosy trumpets, while the background is filled with lots of freaky dubby sounds. Cool and warm at the same time, you get well imagine yourself lying at the beach of an extrastellar Bounty Island. The song ends with some out-of-this-world beautiful space-transmitted vocals. Very varied, this. Wow!

7 Eiji - Digimunk

Very melodic opening, funky beat and percussions, a brazilian chick singing over laidback reggae-basses; lovely! Sweet piano-tunes, some african tribal singing. A lot of these classifications would make me spin this song, but it works surprisingly well. Nice groovy and rolling basses, plings and ploings everywhere, sweet melodies make this another 'thumbs up' from me!

8 Peyote Sound System - Aqua Dub

Another straight-up dubby one, and yeah... somehow it has a water feel to it. Maybe its the sound of drops falling, that does the trick? A nice driving chilled 4/4 underneath this, makes it a nice deep dub track. The second half of the song explores even darker territories, reminds me of Swedish forests. Trippy!

9 Mauxuam - Ulezak

Was it Damion-Psyreviews that said this song has an Ott-feel to it? I concur! It has those spaced-out floating melodies and overall feeling you'd expect from Ott. Had this been on Blumenkraft, I wouldn't've noticed... But that wouldn't do Mauxuam justice; this is just a very well crafted, deeply moving, beautfilly put together space-dub that I would definitely play in a chillout-set. Wonderful track, one of the best on this album!

10 Erik the Viking vs Odo - Its not Buddha

Pitched-off bazaar-music! Sounds kinda trippy and it gets the edge of the 'too-worldly-music'-vibe, which seems to annoy me a little more than it should. Same goes for the ethnic chanting. Not a bad track, but not totally my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

11 Lunchbox - Jellyfish Roll

A really really chilled out jazzy tune to finish the album. Warm atmosphere, extremely laidback, but it's over before you know it.

Overall:

I had been awaiting this album very anxiously already, had heard great stories about it, and they all proved true. A very varied album, with nothing but head-nodding, dubby, warm and psychedelic vibes. Everything I'm looking for in a chillout-compilation without sounding too generic or cheesy. One of my fav's! :)

I love most of this comp

My favourites are the opener, UFO over trenchtown by eat static. One of their best tunes in my opinion and that is saying A LOT. I also like Voodoo Dub, a brilliant track and I like the wooohaooo vocals too.

I don't like the last two tracks though. Real lets downs after what preceeds them.

• 6 months later...

Has no one else heard this comp?

Shame on you! :angry:

It is one of my favourite CDs from 2005 & it has a great track from Eat Static.

It also has Gaudi, tripswitch & kaya project. What more do you want?

• 3 weeks later...

Has no one else heard this comp?

Shame on you!  :angry:

It is one of my favourite CDs from 2005 & it has a great track from Eat Static.

It also has Gaudi, tripswitch & kaya project. What more do you want?

638344[/snapback]

I have thought about buying it.... :unsure: just has'nt come around to do it just yet... I hope I will though :)

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...