X-Dream or Astral Projection?

Guest The Journey Man Project

I beleive X-Dream has been very influential, in a very good way. They continued always to br psychedelic and always push their own personal boundries. They changed styles and influenced the scene, but they never gave up on the underground.

Astral Projection made some awesome melodic trance but they showed little progression, and finall sold out to the full on sounds of Israel...

Who do think is the most important?

Dear Reger,

by influential I mean which onehas had most influence from the early ays until now. Yes Astral were huge influence during the days of Goa, but look now... I'd say X-Dream of the entire period of this scene, has influenced more changes and artists... I remeber even reading a lot of the early progressive artits saying they never really liked Astral's style but preffered the sounds fo X-Dream and Midi Miliz... I love both Astral and X-Dream, this is not about who is the best but who is more influential in the long term.

well you can't say for sure who is the most influential.

even composers can't really tell that cause the inspiration may come subconsciously...

i guess x-dream just opened a new door and many artists followed.

what is for sure (imho) is that x-dream managed to open a new path,a unique one which at that time (radio time) was a real achievement...i would say that they opened a whole new way of musical perception!

I don't think there's much of a question given X-Dream's sustained impact from day one. Astral were big in their day but they never re-invented themselves the way Rough & Rush have...

511239[/snapback]

I love both Astral and X-Dream, this is not about who is the best but who is more influential in the long term.

Guest Cosmogenesis

Well, the question is "who has done more for this scene"?

So, with "more", I suppose that you mean "more things". IMO, if Astral Projection didn't exist, I'm pretty sure the goa movement would have a less influence back in 90's. If you ask someone who don't know well the goa genre to recommand you a group, he will probably tell you "Astral Projection" as his first reference. Thanx to Astral Projection and their divine first four albums, which have been respected and recognized by the world of music, many people have discovered the goa music and were interested in, & also many artists have started to produce goa listening the Astral Projection pieces. Most of the goa stuff back in the 90's have been influenced by this group. They have played their music around the world as biggest "goa" ambassadors. So, their influence remains extensive & undeniable.

According to me, the key of the problem is a difference between the israeli & european scene. X-Dream has been very influencial in the european scene when they have started to be psytrance progressive music, and other groups have followed this movement. The influence of X-Dream in the euro-psy scene with their other psytrance projects (The Delta...) is definitely more important the last years than Astral Projection. But, my opinion is X-Dream's music hasn't been so influencial in Israel, instead of Astral who plays their worldwide music everywhere.

That's why, at the final, for me, the role of Astral Projection in the world trance scene has been more important than X-Dream. But I prefer to wait the "Open Society" album in order to have a clear and definitive position about both groups...

Well, the question is "who has done more for this scene"?

So, with "more", I suppose that you mean "more things". IMO, if Astral Projection didn't exist, I'm pretty sure the goa movement would have a less influence back in 90's. If you ask someone who don't know well the goa genre to recommand you a group, he will probably tell you "Astral Projection" as his first reference. Thanx to Astral Projection and their divine first four albums, which have been respected and recognized by the world of music, many people have discovered the goa music and were interested in, & also many artists have started to produce goa listening the Astral Projection pieces. Most of the goa stuff back in the 90's have been influenced by this group. They have played their music around the world as biggest "goa" ambassadors. So, their influence remains extensive & undeniable.

511276[/snapback]

WORD!! totaly agree

B) Nice to get some thoughtful opinions... each to their own but I'm expecting Astral to be the winers in this poll ehehe

X-Dream

I think X-Dream has been consistently good through varying styles. Astral has kept the same(ish) style and it hasn't aged well. There 1st few albums were great but the last few have been......not!

X-Dream.

But it's honestly tough to answer.

Not only because you most likely prefer one act over another. But also... well, you just don't have stats. Or I don't at least. I can only speculate.

Astral Projection ever has had only one sound. Fluffy happy melodic/goa trance sound. In that area they've truely made their mark.

But X-Dream has never stopped evolving. From the early rave-scene days when they produced hardtrance to these days when they blend electro and psy. And the quality has always been there too :)