02. 06’26” Off Into Space

03. 06’33” Devil’s Door

04. 06’59” Simulations

05. 06’32” Killing Zoo (Remix)

06. 06’42” Access Approved

07. 06’30” Psychiatric Symphony

08. 06’31” Revolution 2012

09. 07’11” Face To Faith

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/f8mjc (all tracks!)

Review:

Patchwork psytrance…

Visionary Swiss label Peak Records is out with their 9th release… Following the first artist album by Electrypnose, here’s the debut album from fellow Swiss country man Benjamin Klingemann… He’s been a regular on Peak’s peak-time psytrance compilations – and every single track I’ve heard from him has been a stand-out – I really dig his oddball, humorous take on psytrance and his extremely versatile full-on anti-cheese style… There’s never a dull moment with Drumatik and I’m really excited about this, his debut album…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: The Forest Spirit

The opening track functions as a short intro… It’s a clash of organic sounds mated with sharp, hissing electronica… There’s some serious drum programming going on too… There’s a countdown in the end, before we’re off into space…

#02: Off Into Space [146 BPM]

“You’re not afraid of the dark, are you?” Best damn intro I’ve heard for a while! Following the intro track without any breaks, we launch straight into huge reverbs and full power from the get-go… That’s right; this is fully loaded, relentless, propane-injected psytrance… Bursting with energy! Style wise this is dancefloor material with both space- and spook-influences… The break reveals a really creepy atmosphere, but luckily the track never crosses fully over into pretentious ‘darkpsy’… This is melodic, maximal psytrance… Very nice!

#03: Devil’s Door [146 BPM]

“What the fuck is going on, huh? … Where is this door?” As usually with Peak releases, the tracks are slightly mixed to avoid silence between the tracks – so we drift seamlessly into the next dancefloor stomper… And despite the creepy track name, this track isn’t all that evil… It’s just old fashioned night trance… And that’s a good thing! This is acid-drenched, playful, sample-heavy night trance with a hundred twists, turns and changes in direction and pace… The tribal-drum section in the middle is simply dope and the ethnic chanting is a nice touch… Lovely!

#04: Simulations [145 BPM]

“What was that? … Get the fuck outta my house! … Stop messing around!” This track starts with a very creepy sample of a little girl singing – screams follow and then BAM - the bassline! Some serious knob-adjustment and hardcore tweaking after that + an alarm sound followed by more acid mayhem… And that’s just describing the first minute! Holy smokes, this stuff is so versatile… Drumatik is a master of this style, and this track is another trademark Drumatik hit… Sweet!

#05: Killing Zoo (Remix) [146 BPM]

“What is it? You’ll see […] The age of men is over – the time of the orc has come!” This track starts with some Gregorian monks chanting to the pounding sound of a bass drum… Soon after there’s a short, but informative conversation between Frodo and Gollum – and when Drumatik tears open his goodie bag the acid flows freely… There’s more LOTR action going on here, and Drumatik has managed to sample the eerie orc horn too – brilliant!

#06: Access Approved [148 BPM]

“When I was little my father was famous. He was the greatest samurai in the empire, and he was the shogun's decapitator. He cut off the heads of a hundred and thirty one lords… My father would come home and when he was here he would forget about the killings. He wasn’t scared of the shogun, but the shogun was scared of him!” There’s some serious drum experimentation going on here – and I don’t think I’ve ever heard drum programming quite like this… Whatever the hell it is, it works – this is multi-climactic, hands-in-the-air dancefloor fodder… Eerie melodies, synth galore and enough digital farts and electronic burps to keep my focus peeled… The voice sample from Shogun Assassin/Kill Bill 2 (also used by the RZA on his Liquid Swords album) is awesome and it was about time someone put it to good use in a psytrance track… This is ripe, delicious, full-power psytrance… I’m totally diggin’ it!

#07: Psychiatric Symphony [148 BPM]

“Someone told you about me. Who told you about me? Well if you wanna know why don’t you just read my mind? Surprisingly you were able to keep a few things from me. I don’t understand it, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out soon” … Here’s another full-power, relentless dancefloor bomb… Absolutely fucking drenched in acid and with flaring rhythms and twirling psychedelia all over the place… The main acid-lead is absolutely in-ya-face and this will definitely go down with fans of Ketuh Records… The level of experimentation is still impressive – and I’m still impressed by the amount of energy that this guy manages to put forth…It’s wall-to-wall night trance! Ace!

#08: Revolution 2012 [146 BPM]

This is another track that doesn’t waste time on a boring ambient intro – this is full power from the very first second… Hard-hitting, acid-drenched and with a very strong rhythm section… Similar to the previous track, though without the distinct acid-lead… The lead here is more melodic and morning trance like… Sounds a lot like Timecode stuff… Nicey nice!

#09: Face To Faith [146 BPM]

The closing track starts with maybe the longest beatless intro on the entire album (40 seconds) – and then it’s time to reveal the bassline and the percussion… Full-power, energetic, relentless psytrance – Peak style! There’s an underlying world beat/ethnic touch here – which is pretty nice for a change… Also the Kill Bill link is evident – and this is another melting pot of various ideas and styles… Trademark Drumatik! Wonderful!

What an album! Easily the most energetic I’ve heard from Peak Records – there is not a single dull second here and basically this is a big old melting pot: A billion ideas, styles, oddball twists and turns – all kept within a framework of full-on night trance… Yeah, this is patchwork psytrance – like a big old quilt sewn together from a billion little funky pieces – and as such, this is extremely cool! I cannot even begin to count the layers here – or contemplate how many months of work made into making this… It’s one jaw-dropping moment after another. It’s really, really impressive!

On the downside this album is only a little under 55 minutes long. They could’ve easily fit two more tracks here… Also, some tracks have too similar parts – and they almost drown in their own success. Almost! The funny thing is, that all off these tracks would have been stand-outs if featured on compilations – but here, it’s one belting blast-track after another, and you don’t get any time to catch your breath between tracks… Basically it’s like a 55 minute track! A 55 minute full-on, full-power, relentless psytrance track mind you! That’s not necessarily a bad thing, and I’m not complaining – I like all the tracks here… It’s just that journey-wise this album doesn’t work that well… In the same notion it’s less good for home listening – but it’s absolutely brilliant as a DJ tool… All these tracks *will* cause absolutely devastation on the dance floors… Trust me!

Peak fans will most definitely take well to this as will fans of Timecode and Ketuh Records… It’s a real treat for acid-heads! I’m an acid-head, so I’m really impressed by this album too – just like at my indication of fav’e tracks below. They are all brilliant (which of course has something to do with this basically being ‘one track’ running for 55 minutes). Anyway, this is good wholesome entertainment – up to par with the usual Peak Records quality… Enjoy!

Favourites: All, but 2, 5, 6(!) and 9 are stand-outs

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Peak Records: http://www.peaking-goddess.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/648926

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/epvhl

TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/j6ruq

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/kotw3

Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/gpkxf

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/fte4e

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/fuq8t

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/gqw4u

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/gjme5

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/kdgrw

Artist: Drumatik

Album: Peak Process

Label: Peak Records

CAT: PR009

Sonic-Energy: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/208/2/

Posted Image

1. The Forest Spirit [146]

2. Off Into Space [146]

3. Devil’s Door [146]

4. Simulations [145]

5. Killing 200 Remix [146]

6. Access Approved [148]

7. Psychiatric Symphony [148]

8. Revolution 2012 [146]

9. Face to Faith [146]

What's This About

Benjamin Klingemann, a 25 year old German-American has been enthralled with the drums since he was three, when he got his first drum kit. From an early age Klingermann has been involved in conservatories and a funk-rock band as the drummer (naturally). Fast forward to the end of the nineties, Dj Smart Side makes his appearance spinning psychedelic trance, by the beginning of 2004 the logical step as Drumatik is taken. Since then Drumatik has been playing live in France, Switzerland and Morocco with a fair share of success. Benjamin has been in the Peak family since his first appearance in Peak a Boo two years ago, time when he began working on the full album Peak Process. Besides exploring psychedelic trance, there is also a side project that features his drum set mixed with break beats / drum n’ bass.

Per-Track

(1* ) A short introduction sets the mood languidly with nature sampling, congas and dangly effects in the midst of a heavily populated jungle. Benjamin imagined it in the forest, let’s see where it takes you.

(2*) Connecting smoothly from the previous track “Off into Space” gets the rocket going in a vigorous debauchery of fast-paced prototypical full on, and transient squeaks with ricocheting lines, bouncing all over the sounds cape. Emotional pads mix in the pot for an uplifting result, refusing to let the night beat your fears.

(3*) A well calculated entry with nifty effects, you can hear the door closing into a different room, working nicely as a cue point. Ben at this point makes his name count with a drumming section that ends up saving the day. Interesting sample bits from the movie Dream Catcher can be found in the breaks.

(4) The fourth chapter gets underway via growlings and simulations that confound senses and purpose. At this point in time is getting difficult to distinguish one track from the other, they all sound remarkably similar to me. That doesn’t mean the small differences aren’t there, like is the case with the guitar chops. Effects and coherence is on our side here.

(5) Another well orchestrated intro with chants, water dripping and a number pitch shifters back to the movement. The intention to build mysterious environments within Drumatik’s style pervades throughout. Really nifty break, incorporating the drum set well. Once again though, the synth work is not deviating too radically from the previous tracks.

(6*) Access approved brings into the equation a new beat with a great jungle-esque rhythm, which up to this point was starting to feel sorely needed. We return to the classic full-on affair on the mid run, with an eerie sample of a child talking about shoguns and decapitations. Like I’ve said before, I enjoy my kid voices and having the drums return for the last stretch of the track, combining all the elements certainly helps.

(7*) The samples from Dream Catcher are back in a different context by the start. Symphonic madness galore mixing right into chaos. Lines melting, effects screeching as the rest moves on at the right pace. Throw in the new Naked Tourist, add some ice and enjoy irresponsibly.

(8*) The revolution is boiling down here and the layers of effects keep adding up seamlessly with favorable results. New synth effects, new rhythms and a good doze of orchestrated madness.

(9*) Facing the faith means you will run into great voice samples in the last run of the Drumatik trip. Inside: warped, jarring effects in the peak process, result in a the most detuned, speed-infused, brain-lagging, mimetic attempt at full on I have heard in a while -having no trouble digesting it as a whole.

All and all

So Drumatik might not win the artist revelation album this time around, but at least a solid precedent has been set. It does feel like a well coordinated journey and the live-gig scenario might be very refreshing. The individual tracks to my ears could have been aided by more twists and ideas that show something else outside the norm though. That said, you will encounter parts that challenge my words, and off course that works well for everyone. A great addition and clearly his forte are the drums in the percussion, Klingemann has been perfecting throughout all of his life. Like Picasso used to say, the rules must be learned first to be broken. The Peak Process shows a solid understanding of how things work; I guess the next step is to shatter all those preconceptions to create something new. Inklings of this new savoir flair can be picked up… only time will tell where it leads. In the meantime The Peak Process passes the time well if you are looking for a little coordinated psychosis, without sagging too low in complete darkness.

Where to Buy

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5560

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/pea/pea1cd009.html

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2687

• 2 weeks later...

Artist: Drumatik

Title: Peak Process

Label: Peak Records

Catalog: PR0009

Released: 2006

Posted Image

Tracklist:

01. The Forrest Spirit

02. Off Into Space

03. Devil's Door

04. Simulations

05. Killing Zoo (remix)

06. Access Approved

07. Psychiatric Symphony

08. Revolution 2012

09. Face To Faith

Peak records is for me the one of thetop labels around theese days, and they never seem to fail when releasing new material. Expectations are therefore as allways massive as you give a new peak-record the virgin-spin. Drumatik has released quality tracks with the label before, and I wouldnt be suprised if he does it again here....Let's check out the album!

01: The Forrest Spirit

The short introduction to this album doesn't hint much about what you might excpect from the rest of the package. We're introduced to some rather slackey electronics, and offcourse Drumatiks trademark - percussion.

02: Off into Space

When this track begins 1 minute and 22 seconds has passed. From this point on, you should just leave the couch, because this won't be an album for the slackers out there. This track blasts off with massive amounts of bass and stabbing synth. It maintains enough edge throughout to make it interesting enough. A few melodic elements a present as well. Not a standount moment on the album, but a fair enough track

03: Devil's Door

When drumatik knocks on the devil's door things are about to get really interesting. The acid-lines here strike me as extremely hypnotizing, and there's plenty of fluidity and organic motion involved here. The rythmic action is outstanding as well, and I really love the tribal influences here. One of my favourites!

04: Simulations

Devils door is followed by another action-packed and super-demented track. Trying to describe this stuff is really alot like trying to count how many times you spin around on a seven-minute-ride on a madly spinning carusell. Even with all these layers and goings on I tend to get a bit tired around this point. A break of some sorts would have pleased me...But by all means a very nice track.

05: Killing Zoo (Remix)

Killing zoo slowly (just kidding...) emerges from the left-overs at the end of Simulations. This is a Lord of the Ring sampeling frenzy, something I could have done without. The rest of the track is pretty nice though, and it should come as no suprise that its packed with the all the action you should have come to expect by now. Nice track!

06: Access Approved

Access approved starts with something that could have built into a great intro, and sadly I think it's cut a bit short. The chaotic feel of the album is maintained also in this track. The drumwork fits in nicely as usual. By now it sjhould also be pointed out that the music on this disc isn't really pitch-black-stomp-around-while-stabbing-people kind of dark....I actually find alot of this stuff rather "uplifting". Again - Solid track!

07: Psychiatric Symphony

This is the track that for me sounds like it's the fastest on the album - and at 148 bpm it's not to slow either...If I were to just take a guess after hearing this once, I'd be in the dark about that, though. Lot's of squeaks, squealches and aciddic madness going on here as well. Solid!

08: Revolution 2012

On track 6 I spoke of this album being "uplifing"....Speaking of that (please don't get me wrong here....the cheesedoodles are non-present), this track would perhaps be my prime-example. Stomping, hard, organic and a tad weird...but this isn't dark at all. A few tribal elements spice things up, and makes this a better-than-average track. Combine this with some nostalgia-packed melodies reminding me of my mid-80's Comodore 64 sessions, and voila - a favourite on the album!

09: Face to Faith

To finish things off we're left with an epic chill-out piece of proportions.....No - I'm kidding, but you do get iver half a minute of breathing-space, and for that I'm greatfull. The track it self has a few spicey elements as well, and sometimes I find my head nodding steadilly to this one....Sounding a bit more technoid than other parts of the album it's refreshing in a way, but this track isn't really for me...

Final remarks:

So, there you have it! The peaksters has released another quality piece of pie, allthough I think they've baked better before. There's plenty of juice in most of these tracks, but I'd really appreciate some more variation....I seldom find my self listening to this one all the way throgh. That being said, it's hard to find reall weak tracks here, and most of them sound great if you just listen to one or two of them....

Tomas(Psychedelic Mustache)

Buy it here:

Psyshop

Saikosounds

Beatspace

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Took me some time to get this album, but it was worth it. It's in the Peak Records style and that I like :) Might not be the best album of the year, but pretty good still. I think Drumatik could've managed to create something different and better. Just waiting for the next album ;)

Sounds like a pretty good album...not great or innovative tho...

The first thing I noticed were the beats and non-melodic sounds. The dee-dee, da-da-da-da.. the clicks and DRUMS -- are good. These are very noticable in the first song before the synth sounds wash some of them out.

It's one of the better dark psytrance albums of 2006, but I find highly unlikely that this will be on that many 2006 psytrance TOP TENS list come time end this year.

The melodies are nice. Although there could be more of them, melodies are something I felt Derango's Tumult heavily lacked.

The samples are good, although that Pitch Black "You're not afraid of the dark, are you?" sample I've heard multiple times on other psytrance albums before.

TRACKS 2, 5 and 6 stand out the most to me.

Track 2, Off Into Space is good. I really like the melody that comes in around the Pitch Black/Riddick sample. I with there were more layers of melodies, atmosphere, and mixed in ambience to set a stronger mood on more of this album in general. The melodies that arrive later into this song is what I like...stuff like that is very good.

Track 5, Killing Zoo Remix has lots of attitude and I really like it. Some killer melodies would have been nice though. It's a very cool song. I wish there were more tracks up to par or better like the several best ones on this album. I do notice a difference by how catchy something is and so do many other ppl. Like many ppl I love when artists develop something pretty good into really good ... and than into great, surperb, masterpiece.

Track 6, Access Approved rocks!! Unfortunately I just heard that samurai movie sample two weeks ago in a song called Liquid Swords I believe by GZA or RZA a.k.a. the Wu-Tang Clan. I have it in my itunes.

The last track 9 is just too repetitious sounding. There's not enough sound diversity, attitude...the voice hymms are the only unique thing I like, but that's a small, positive detail. The final song should have been awesome and it's OKAY, nothing great.