About sharing mp3s

cangrejo

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest antic

Downloading a 3-4 tracks over a decade ago is what led to my current collection.  The music industry is suffering my ass!  Not from the looks of my wallet. :rolleyes:

490620[/snapback]

Well, if you're the guy who spent 150$ on Dimension 5 lately, then let me just tell you the authors didn't gat a cent of those money. I myself lately buy only second-hand CDs too, because I'm not satisfied with 95% of music released today. Maybe the idea with musicians Paypal accounts would work - I'd definitely send some money to Shakta, OOOD, Cosmosis etc... :)

And on a more general note - I'm really ashamed reading all those comments about art being worth nothing. What would your life be without music, books, movies?! Those who create it commit their lives to "entertain you" and they deserve to be paid for it - it's a service like any other! If all of us would work behind desks shifting papers life would be much more boring...

Respect to the likes of Colin, Ott, Detox and others who are ready to sacrifice their careers and are willing to live a modest & relatively poor life just to be able to do what they love. I wouldn't have the guts to do it...

SVOLK i feel really sorry about you not because i dont aggree with you on your points and ideas but because you have missed the whole meaning of music and you are stuck in a world where things are characterised from their technical aspects,since music for you is mostly entertaiment and digital information you are free to download every single track or song on this planet into your hard disc,no matter how much you will download you will never understand the true meaning of something like music like probably you will never understand the true meaning of a painting (since its only canvas and colours according to your theory) or the meaning of a poem or a book (since its only some ink on a piece of paper).

BRANDON noone said that downloading has only bad aspects,depends ofcourse if your collection is a balanced mixed of original cds and mp3s or just a collection of 50000GB in your hard discs.And concerning the industry well i dont think that you should connect it with your wallet cause its like comparing apples with oranges,they are both fruits but they are not the same.Also keep in mind that labels like Blue Room and Spirit Zone closed because of the bad market and even Twisted Records was near its death because of bad sales and distribution.If you think that labels are rich companies then i suggest to you to think things over again ;)

ANTIC some wise words in your second paragraph,hope everybody reads them ;)

Piece of art is a rare thing. Far more rare than every single CD sold in the

e-shop. I guess it will be a healthy advice not to label everything you hear/read/see as ART. Many aspects of what you see as art are pure business.

Anyway I am not going to persuade someone to stop paying :P I just say that I personally don't think that it's a so big deal to download. However you probably will not understand me anyway.

Guest antic

Piece of art is a rare thing. Far more rare than every single CD sold in the

e-shop.  I guess it will be a healthy advice not to label everything you hear/read/see as ART. Many aspects of what you see as art are pure business.

Anyway I am not going to persuade someone to stop paying :P I just say that I personally don't think that it's a so big deal to download. However you probably will not understand me anyway.

490684[/snapback]

I don't wanna argue about the quality of nowaday's releases, because we probably agree that most of it is not ART anymore, just ENTERTAINMENT. Anyway, for both things you should pay or not use them at all. You yourself say "Many aspects of what you see as art are pure business" <- you know why people do business?!? To earn money!!! Yay, discovery of a day! ;):D

I understand you (and others) perfectly - you download because you technically can and legally there's not much danger of you going to jail for it. But morally it's just stealing, leaving the author, label and distributors of their due earnings FOR THEIR WORK If you downloaded something and like it - buy it, if you don't like it - delete it. Simple as that! You should be thankful for a opportunity of doing so, because you can't do this with most other things (try downloading a car, house or food).

:)

I understand you (and others) perfectly - you download because you technically can and legally there's not much danger of you going to jail for it. But morally it's just stealing, leaving the author, label and distributors of their due earnings FOR THEIR WORK If you downloaded something and like it - buy it, if you don't like it - delete it. Simple as that! You should be thankful for a opportunity of doing so, because you can't do this with most other things (try downloading a car, house or food).

:)

490724[/snapback]

All I'm saying is that downloading has caused everyone I know to spend more, not less and broaden their musical taste. I never would've have gotten into this genre if it weren't for a few mp3s.

I understand though that there are also people who only download, but I think they are the same people who don't have any money anyway. I just don't think it should be seen as a threat, because it helps the consumer know whether they're getting a quality release, and the people with no money weren't going to buy it anyway. Mostly what people are after are releases they can't buy anymore anyway.

The fact is that technology is advancing so much faster than the marketplace can handle that some people panic instead of figuring out how to roll with it. Pretty soon DVD is going to be the new format. I love my CDs but I have to take all of them & convert them into digital & then burn them onto a DVD so I can listen to them while I drive. I can fit roughly 40-50 albums on one disc, but its a pain to have to convert every one of them. I like owning the flawless quality of a CD but hate the painstaking conversion process. In the future it'll be different, I won't have to do all this crap.

I understand you (and others) perfectly - you download because you technically can and legally there's not much danger of you going to jail for it.

490724[/snapback]

Yep and I am not ashamed of it. The world is unfair, so speaking of a global morale is a nonsense (I am not planning to perform a genocide or something ;) ).

Would it help anyone if I simply ignored anything not shown on MTV since I didn't buy any album at all? Would it help more than me having dozens of downloaded albums and buying one of the artist I really appreciate?

By these rhetorical questions I will end my postings in this thread, because I feel that our dispute is useless, this is simply an issue of mentality.

B)

WTF man ? :huh:  :huh:

you dont like the fact that the artists may  put use to your money to buy drugs,so you dont buy the originals.BUT you download them ??

totally hypocrite imo,if you think that they take drugs and you dont agree then dont listen to the music at all,dont hide behind your finger... maybe you also think that you are doing a good thing to them,cz if you dont buy,they will have less money and use less drugs...Total bullshit imo....this is the lamest argument i have heard in ages

how the hell do you know that the money you give to the supermarket when you buy milk and bread wont go to drug use?at least you can have the balls and say i download because i dont give a shit about the artists...not this bullshit...

490257[/snapback]

The thing is that I can't get milk/bread for free. Otherwise I would obviously get it. So fucking stupid comment...

I'm writing the following statement hoping that anyone will read it and not just focus on the vulgar statement I just made:

To colin and anyone else who cares enough to call me a liar for not copy pasting my posts from last week: People change, is that a bad thing?

To colin and anyone else who cares enough to call me a liar for not copy pasting my posts from last week: People change, is that a bad thing?

"I DIDNT CALL YOU A LIAR"

I don't care, it's what it felt like. WE CAN ONLY TRUST OUR FEELINGS (or some other bullcrap you've said)

I even said that I wouldn't even read this thread again, but I DID! LOL I'm A LIAR!

I've only ever downloaded one track and that was a promotional thingy. I guess I'm just too perfect a member of society... or maybe I find the quality rather shitty.

490879[/snapback]

or maybe it has something to do with the fact you have a pedal-powered internet connection :P

I've only ever downloaded one track and that was a promotional thingy. I guess I'm just too perfect a member of society... or maybe I find the quality rather shitty.

490879[/snapback]

High bitrate MP3s (255Kbps and above) are to all intents and purposes indistinguishable from CD audio.

Or maybe that's not the aspect of quality you were talking about... :unsure:

or maybe it has something to do with the fact you have a pedal-powered internet connection  :P

490882[/snapback]

It might have a little do do with that...

High bitrate MP3s (255Kbps and above) are to all intents and purposes indistinguishable from CD audio.

490884[/snapback]

but it has more to do with that. On a personal music player or PC speakers, sure, theyre virtually indistinguishable but on a good system the difference is clear. Surely you notice it, you're a musician/artist?

On a personal music player or PC speakers, sure, theyre virtually indistinguishable but on a good system the difference is clear. Surely you notice it, you're a musician/artist?

490885[/snapback]

I was took part in a blind test on Isratrance... three files, one 192Kbps, one 320Kbps and one WAV. I think I recognised one of them - and it wasn't the WAV. Codecs these days are much much better than they were even two years ago, and although I think it would be easier to tell the difference over a high-quality PA I'm now no longer point-blank refusing to play 320s out.

I was took part in a blind test on Isratrance... three files, one 192Kbps, one 320Kbps and one WAV.  I think I recognised one of them - and it wasn't the WAV.  Codecs these days are much much better than they were even two years ago, and although I think it would be easier to tell the difference over a high-quality PA I'm now no longer point-blank refusing to play 320s out.

490888[/snapback]

I think it would be fair for you to mention that you were the one who came closest to guessing what was what.

Not like me, who faired a lot worse - I couldnt even tell 192kbps MP3 and CD Audio apart.

Im really curious of what a 24bit 192KHz MP3 might sound like when compared to CD Audio - Perhaps we should be careful not to measure everything by CDs anymore when talking quality.

I for one have no clue, only time I ever listened to 24bit tracks was during artists livesets - and often that sounded very good.

A "fun" way to explore how MP3s have "grown up" is listening to low bitrate samples from for instance the saikosounds site - Stuff they encoded long time ago sounds really bad, while the newer encoded stuff sounds 3 times better at the same bitrate (and, with low bitrate those improvements are really noticeable, explaining even more why we couldnt tell the difference when it came to the high bitrate ones).

Best Wishes

Krell

I was took part in a blind test on Isratrance... three files, one 192Kbps, one 320Kbps and one WAV.  I think I recognised one of them - and it wasn't the WAV.  Codecs these days are much much better than they were even two years ago, and although I think it would be easier to tell the difference over a high-quality PA I'm now no longer point-blank refusing to play 320s out.

490888[/snapback]

Interesting. I might burn a few tracks to CD in both 320kbps and original 1411kbps, play them blind through my system and see if I can tell the difference.

Interesting.  I might burn a few tracks to CD in both 320kbps and original 1411kbps, play them blind through my system and see if I can tell the difference.

491142[/snapback]

Use LAME to encode. It's recognised as the best encoder.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/

Or I can send you the front-end and codec if you like, it's only small.

Steady on, old chap.

Nurse!

490863[/snapback]

I take it you're not mad at me for I am not mad at you. Maybe I'm going mad on my own. Colin, I mean no harm, I just have a hard time expressing myself using plain text. Love from Sweden. :)

By the way, is it ok if I call you Colin?

I take it you're not mad at me for I am not mad at you. Maybe I'm going mad on my own. Colin, I mean no harm, I just have a hard time expressing myself using plain text. Love from Sweden. :)

By the way, is it ok if I call you Colin?

491530[/snapback]

Sure, that's my name.

Luckily I find it relatively easy to explain myself in text form, and it has seemed to me that you find the same given the quality of the English you use in your posts - they contain unambiguous statements of belief and behaviour that I (and others) disagree with vehemently.

What do you do for a living? Do you make anything? If so, give me one for free, or tell me where I can find one so I can steal it.

;)

(j/k about the ;) )

(j/k about the j/k about the ;) )

Sure, that's my name.

Luckily I find it relatively easy to explain myself in text form, and it has seemed to me that you find the same given the quality of the English you use in your posts - they contain unambiguous statements of belief and behaviour that I (and others) disagree with vehemently.

What do you do for a living? Do you make anything? If so, give me one for free, or tell me where I can find one so I can steal it.

;)

(j/k about the ;) )

(j/k about the j/k about the ;) )

491832[/snapback]

If you really don't know what I do for a living I must say that you haven't read my posts at all... I guess you're just joking though. As you can see, there's already a chance for misunderstanding what you just wrote.

*looks up vehemently in the dictionary*

I'm glad that you think the quality of my English is good, but I'm sad that there's been so many hard feelings over the past weeks. However, I don't regret it, since I believe that the best way to start an argument, that's not just the same old politeneness where everyone agrees with eachother, is to make a controversial statement. I really don't feel that hard about downloading mp3s and that artists shouldn't get payed for their work, and I hope you understand this. However it's been interesting, and hard at times, discussing the matter. You may of course think what you like about me, but remember one thing, and it's that I will change if I feel that I do something wrong. Principles may be good to have, but they don't make up for great arguments.

I've noticed in the last weeks that I have had many prejudice about this scene, which is understandable if you consider that I've only listened to psytrance for almost a year, and I've never once been to a psytrance party. I will keep my eyes and ears open and try to make myself an opinion from experience instead of from just my own thoughts.

While I still don't buy any CDs, it may well change when my economy is a little more stable. Right now I live off student subsidies and loans, so I'm not really sure how much money I'll have by the end of the year. I'm also planning a trip to belgium in the summer and I can't be sure to get a job this summer, so I have to spend my money wisely and cut back on what I can cut back on. Unfortunately for you and your likes, music is one of the things that can be easily accessed without any payment except for the internet service, which I would be paying for anyway.

I certainly wouldn't deny having download illegal mp3 stuff. Actually it sort of introduced me to the psy music scene at one point, as I used to listen to generic trance and progressive house and for some reason I just didn't hear or read anything about this "psy" music, except some old acid-drenched goa tracks I heard a couple of years earlier which at that time made me feel like I was having my head bashed in by Mike Tyson..too hard!

Then a friend told me he was being really excited about this certain album by a Human Blue and he said I should check it out.. so there I went.. not knowing any stores selling psy music, not having heard about any psy'ish party/event in my area whatsoever, not having any psy-minded shows on the radio (holland's not always that great!).. so I checked it in a less legal way (sorry Dag!).

Can't say I'm proud of it though. Wish it were different.

Still ain't easy getting hold of good psytrance/ambient cds down here (no creditcard etc.. the usual blahblah).

However just having managed to find one or two dutch online stores that actually have some of this kind of music in stock..

So, after a long period of listening samples on psyshop.com and suchlike, I managed to spend that very small amount of money I have on ordering the new Androcell among others of which I'm excitingly awaiting its arrival.

Well.. got that off my chest :lol::rolleyes:

Now what I really intended to post here: I can't imagine how people would be able to be excited about music when they download it illegally. Nothing beats owning an original copy!