05. 08'30" Igneous Sauria : Momentary Distraction

06. 09'42" 4D : Slivva

07. 05'58" Western Rebel Allicance : Medetity

08. 05'35" Healer : Halo

09. 14'04" Solar Quest : Trisine

Review:

This is ambient!! Actually this is among the most relaxed chilled-out tracks

that I have ever heard! Very harmonic, peaceful and extremely chilled tracks

here. "Wabi" is a Japanese word and supposedly it translates into "Purity".

And pure is exactly what these tunes are, and when you listen to this you

feel how your mind and thoughts are purified.. So close your eyes, light

some incense and let this be the soundtrack to a magnificent dream. Very

highly recommended! 8.5/10

Guest Psylent Buddhi

I like this too. It's very ambient, a lot of the tracks are beatless. Some of

the ambient on this compilation is rather basic and simple though. I've heard

more sophisticated ambient than some of the tracks included on this disc. And

it's not particularly psychedelic either. But it still is a good effort. The

highlights for me are Doof, Gus Till, Western Rebel Alliance and Solar Quest!

A solid release from Flying Rhino! /Psylent Buddhi

A week ago I got this cd and though it really sucked.. I gave it

another try while i was trying to get some sleep.. I fell asleep in the middle

of the trak 2.. I woke up somewhere around 5&6..

I think the first tracks are too chilled, but once you get to the later tracks

they are good, specially if you just listen to them and don't think of anything

Guest sztajl[at]shpongle[dot]com

It is a good ambient compilation. It can be listening with relax in morning or

evening. I like it very much for it.

And I think you can fly with track if you want...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Eksitus

Those who like very relaxing ambient might enjoy this and I'm one of them! This

compilation is almost beatless, only few tribal drums and some other drums on

couple songs. That Wester Rebel Alliances track so beautiful... one of the

best ambient tracks I've heard! My favourite tracks are 3,5,6&7 but other are

good too.

I'll give to this 9/10. This should be little longer...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Acidhive

Eksitus says it right here!! An excellent comp here and just GOOD tracks, no

downers on this one! However, the length is indeed a bit on the shorter

side... 62 minutes?? I mean, come on here... And that wonderful track 7

could've been longer IMO. Having said that, this still gets 9/10 because this

is just GREAT ambient as I wanna hear it... My ears are pleased ...!!

(Especially after hearing the wonderful track 5 and 9) ;-)

ouch

not the ambiant i like

if u want very very peacfull stuff gohead:)

to calm for me

no rythm

but with a good chilum that should be great :)

• 6 months later...

Best Flying Rhino comp in ages, on the same vibe as Tipworld's Twelve. Ignaeous

Sauria's track is fantastic. As is Doof's. Really picks up after Sauria!!!

• 5 years later...

Posted Image

Various Artists

Wabi

Flying Rhino Records

Tracklist

1 Healer - Ultrarapid (1:35)

2 Doof - Grantchester Meadows Remembered (7:28)

3 Gus Till - Bermuda (4:25)

4 Ivor Guest - Escapology (5:01)

5 Igneous Sauria - Momentary Distraction (8:30)

6 4D - Slivva (9:41)

7 Western Rebel Alliance - Medetity (5:58)

8 Healer - Halo (5:34)

9 Solar Quest - Trisine (14:04)

A complete ambient compilation from the legendary labels Flying Rhino Records. Some artists I grew to love later appear here, both trance & ambient artists making some nice subtle ambient with very soft beats hidden beneath.

1 Healer - Ultrarapid ]

We start of with a soft dreamy intro with a warm drone in the background & a pulsating sound. Little bells & a brief melody on the piano make up this mini intro.

2 Doof - Grantchester Meadows Remembered

Nick Barber, better known for his trance has always made fantastic ambient in my book. From his track on MOTY2 to the end of his album It's About Time his ambient is soft dreamy & very psychedelic. This track is up there his best. Maybe the softest I've heard from him being quite minimal as well. A couple of cords repeat through the entire track and are briefly joined by other sounds that come & go. Some very soft guitar, some distortion and an oscillating sound like relaxed hyperspace which comes & goes & shifts pitch each time. Very nice stuff from Doof.

3 Gus Till - Bermuda

Gus Till has mastered both upbeat & ambient music so it's always a treat to hear some of his work. I for one especially like his more relaxed stuff like this here. Bermuda is beatless melody & drones. A double drone in the background. One under the other so it sounds at once like an underwater track and an outside night time track at the same time. Lots of space with a soft, slow tune which sounds like it's floating on the wind or the current.

4 Ivor Guest - Escapology

With the droning of the wind enhanced into a more solar feel we get a more spacey track here. Imagine flying high above the atmosphere around the Earth and out into the solar system. Through the vacuum encountering only the light of distance stars & the dark matter seeping through the walls of this reality. That is the genious of this track. In the midsts of all this beauty is a cold dark sound that seems to break through the music like it is coming from another dimension. Very trippy stuff.

5 Igneous Sauria - Momentary Distraction

We are brought back down to Earth with the sounds of crickets on a summer evening. The drone comes up from nowhere and brings with it a very Earthy, tribal call and a lonely melody with our first hints of rhythm. No beats but a very ambient synth acts as percussion and gives this a bit of energy. Beats do follow & they are very tribal in nature. Slow beats like the steady drumming of a ceremony. Dark atmospheric sounds push this deeper into the night while the drumming seems to bring forth an almost menacing melody. The main melody is actually quite sci fi which amongst all this nature makes me feel like I'm staring up at the night sky from deep in the jungle marveling at the at the vastness of the universe. I love the subtlety of all the sounds used and the majesty of how they are brought together. Brilliant.

6 4D - Slivva

Well that Earth brilliance did seem to be just a temporary distraction as Slivva seems to be back in outer space. Soft beats again are hardly noticeable yet integral. The beats seem to act like a gravitational force trying to ground the track while the rest of the sounds are trying to force the music deeper into space. The result is a track that orbits around our blue/green planet. Very spacey but with a constant reminder of home. The beats are just how I like them, there but very subtle. The melodies are fantastic especially the more prominent one which flows in regularly, eventually morphing into a more intricate one & on each pass I expect a beat to kick in but only after a minute or so does a beat arise and it does not kick but just flows naturally.

7 Western Rebel Alliance - Medetity

Ahhhhh, Western Rebel Alliance with one of there best tracks. This was one of the tracks that made me anticipate their album so much. Shame that never really worked out. Anyway, Medetity is a soft lush piece of work. Very natural from the start with birdsong & the drone manages to feel like the light cast by a setting sun on a warm winter evening. The atmosphere is definitely back on Earth with some watery sounds & summery sounds in the air. Nice beats too give this real life. I always feel like I'm in an orchard on a summer evening, watching the sun set.

8 Healer - Halo

Some piano & lots of spacious sounds. The drones don't so much drone as they do play melody. That gives this track a fantastic feel like it's being played between realities. The beats act as a bridge for us to return but the mind stays trapped in the dimension beyond our rational thought.

9 Solar Quest - Trisine

We end on an Epic note. Solar Quests 14 minute Trisine isn't so much a tune as it is a trippy journey through the the inner reaches of your mind & coming out the other side into the space beyond the universe. A place where there is no up or down, good or bad, warm or cold. Everything just feels beautifully right. The soft drips which initially sounded like water ring clearly in my mind & end up sounding like the ideas dripping through the fabric of space & into my thoughts. The thoughts are given space to move & evolve into ideas & finally fly away as theories into the ether beyond my cranium. A quality pure ambient number to end a great compilation.

I have only one problem with this compilation & that is that the tracks do not flow into each other so when it is really focused upon it kind of breaks the flow of the music just a little bit. That is a minor gripe though & every track on here is beyond very good & they make a top notch journey somewhere between here & outer space finally going so far that it reaches our inner most thoughts. Almost beatless throughout with just a few tracks having very subtle beats. All in all a worthy purchase should you get it. So good I bought it twice. One is sitting in my parents house in England but I liked this so much that I had to get another copy to listen to here in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best ambient compilations, if not the best. Igneous Sauria - Momentary Distraction and 4D - Slivva are both in my alltime top10 chill tracks.. So beautiful. The other tracks are also good, no bad tracks at all. Maybe the last one is what I like the least.