Most Beautiful Ambient cd....

Guest LynxBoy

If you were stranded on a dessert Island and only had one "Ambient/Chill out" album with you. Because you had no idea you were going to get stranded on an island that day. You only brought one damn cd with you! What album would you hope or wish it was??... :)

Bugbread,

Sure, Tales of the Inexpressible is ambient!

Shpongle is a mutt. There's not really a "majority" of one specific thing (except a bunch of "crazy @!#$" throughout), it's many different influences (including a good share of ambient) stuffed into your blender with a bunch chocolate and marshmellows. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmm.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Guest Quasarta

Lifeforms - fsol

Hicksville - Celtic cross

Timewind - Klaus Shulze (70's)

Jovica Storer - There is only one (release early 2002)

You place them in the right order

Love and Light

Q

Torchsong - Toward the Unknown Region

This is William Orbit. Anyone that heard his Strange Cargo CDs know that he is the master of ambient and harmonies. I guess most people know him from his commercial classic trance CD, which is crap, or from the Madonna CD he produced, which is pretty good.

He also remixed Nitzer Ebb and a lot of cool underground artists in the 80s. His works are definitely worth checking out.

As for Toward the Unknown Region it is a CD I never get tired of. It can run in the background, or you can listen carefully and discover new things all the time. And its really beautiful.

Wow, D-Dave, there *is* something we can relate to. I love Orbit's work. I have to say that, though I really liked the three Strange Cargos and the Strange Cargo and Torch Song albums, I think the CD of his that has had the most impact on me is Pieces in a Modern Style. You see, I'm a huge Tomita fan and to me Pieces was like a new Tomita album, but in Orbit style, so double the pleasure. I'm curious what he'll do next. Any news?

Ouroboros - Nice pick. I love Seefeel and Disjecta stuff, though it can be a little depressing at times.

Gotta love Boards of Canada, muhf. By far my favorite from 1998 (though I personally wouldn't consider it ambient - more like dance music to me - but I suppose that's a picky category thing).

And Lifeforms is mega-cool, too.

My favorite by far, to answer the question, would be Biosphere's Substrata. Deep deep, beautiful sh!t.

:) EA

Guest parhelion

Robert Rich - Beastiry

or

Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land

or

(as mentinoed above) Board of Canada - Music has the right to children (not really ambient, but very nice...mellow)

Guest rx7style

Ozric Tentacles - The Hidden Step

What a beautiful album. It's ambient in parts, and then very psychedelic in others. One of my favorite albums of all time.

boards O. C. are very very nice, but inst it definetly in the triphop kind? ok...just a question, i do like it very much and surely take it with me to that desert...

Guest parhelion

I wouldn't call BOC "trip-hop" just because they have some hiphop"ish" beats...that's too easy.

BOC strikes some emotional veins in me...I can't really describe it, but some of their melodies and atmosphere really hit home...

But, like most ambient music, their ideas are only implied and the rest is left to the listener's imagination...which I can never say for Celtic Cross, Shpongled or the Orb..(i'm speaking for myself, remember)....I think that's what defines the line between "chill-out" music and "ambient"...

I wouldn't call BOC either actually...

hey Epic Automata: yeah Robert Rich is the master of ambient music in my opinion...I have all of his stuff :) And On Land still sounds fresh to me :) I also like Alio Die quite a bit

If IDM's included, I'd go with Plaid's Rest Proof Clockwork over Biosphere.

lynxboy - The reason they're not reviewed here is because many of the above choices are either pure ambient (Rich, Eno) or IDM (BOC, FSOL (Lifeforms), Orb, Seefeel, Plaid), not psy-ambient (Celtic Cross, Shpongle, Ozric T's). I know there are hazy lines between a lot of this stuff, but labels and artists, not to mention the presence of a beat and the shape of the sounds, have a lot to do with it.

If you're looking for some of the IDM mentioned (BOC, Plaid, Seefeel and many other incredible bands), I would highly recommend checking out the award-winning Warp Records website: www.warprecords.com or just some general searches for the artists in general (Astralwerks and Skam are some decent labels off the top of my head).

As far as good ambient? There's an seemingly infinite variety of labels. I'd try searching the bands first. Caroline is decent, though.

parhelion - I feel the exact same way about the BOC sound. Their urban yet somehow rustic and nostalgic sound just hit me big in the right emotional places. Yeah, Eno's freshness in general continues to astound me, too.

:) EA