Brainman - Brainfood

Guest antic

Brainman - Brainfood

http://www.discogs.com/release/139485

I can buy it for like 10EUR (used) but I don't know if it's any good. I can't find any samples or reviews.

Any opinions on this one, plaese :)

417493[/snapback]

For what it's worth, I've opened a DJ set with Fluorobrain once. The album is very... different. Some tracks are really cool in the right context, but as a whole the album doesn't quite get to me. If you enjoy early (1996-ish) Sandman stuff it's a must-have. It's NOT standard old-school goa trance, it's way more eclectic and experimental. I would file this under "special music", stuff you never listen to casually but that really hits the spot on those few occasions you really crave its particular flavour.

Also, it's a rare old TIP CD so you will have no trouble getting those 10 euro (and more!) back if you decide it's not worthy of being in your collection. So my recommendation is to buy it.

Oh, and by the way - could you confirm that the booklet is blank inside, because I fear it might be some bootleg / pirated version...

417519[/snapback]

Not right now, as I'm at work. But it sounds plausible, I think it very well might be blank. For instance, Orange compilation doesn't even have a booklet, it's just a single "card". TIP didn't really go fancy with that stuff...

Not right now, as I'm at work. But it sounds plausible, I think it very well might be blank. For instance, Orange compilation doesn't even have a booklet, it's just a single "card". TIP didn't really go fancy with that stuff...

417524[/snapback]

Yeah, I've noticed that even in their old stuff they frequently fucked up the spelling or track-listings. At least, they're consistent in what they're doing ;):D

Orange compilation doesn't even have a booklet, it's just a single "card". TIP didn't really go fancy with that stuff...

417524[/snapback]

Hmm.. the orange compilation I have has really nice booklet (it's just like the silver compilation but the colours are turned around).

Hmm.. the orange compilation I have has really nice booklet (it's just like the silver compilation but the colours are turned around).

417800[/snapback]

Silver compilation? You must have japanese editions, mate.

Silver compilation? You must have japanese editions, mate.

417808[/snapback]

Oh.. I didn't know there were different editions... I bought these from a shop here in Finland when they were released (1997.. both). In the booklets there is no mention about Japan... shouldn't there be something?

Oh, and by the way - could you confirm that the booklet is blank inside, because I fear it might be some bootleg / pirated version...

417519[/snapback]

Yes, the booklet is blank inside. So it´s not a bootleg...

Btw... I think it´s an amazing album.

my opinion: Buy it!  :)

417898[/snapback]

yeah, already bought it today after ukiro's advice... :)

it's available for trade in my tradelist (check my signature)

417800[/snapback]

Silver!!?? You have to scan that one...! I am curious...

This brainman dude was always a mystery to me... He didn't release much (except for on TIP), and there were many different rumours about who he was... The strangest one was that he was a brain doctor in Switzerland or something... Does anyone have any info?

417524[/snapback]

when your saying booklet... do you mean like several pages? or just an inlay(card folded to two)?

the orange comp, copy i have has a booklet(inlay)

but the brainman i got is blank

My mistake, I must have been very tired this morning - It's blue compilation that has a single card and not a folded (booklet) one.

About the reviews of Brainman; It's very unique and certainly not for everyone. And considering that it came out in 1996 I think it's not hard to see how a lot of people didn't "get it". I know I didn't back then, so I bought something else instead. I bought my copy just a few years ago...

This brainman dude was always a mystery to me... He didn't release much (except for on TIP), and there were many different rumours about who he was... The strangest one was that he was a brain doctor in Switzerland or something... Does anyone have any info?

417965[/snapback]

"Brain sergeant" :lol: hehehe

I don’t know anything about that... but I haven't seen many artists thanks having serotonin in their brains on their album

417965[/snapback]

Sorry people I made big mistake... I have allways thought when people mention Orange compilation they mean Tip Singles 1 (and so Tip Singles 2 is Silver compilation in my head :rolleyes: )... I didn't know Tip really had compilations named like that... :ph34r:

I think he's just a friend of Hunter, Posford and the rest of the gang... A pal who got to make some tracks :D

I've heard one track on the Yellow (or was it the Blue one?) compilation and it was quite good, different and acidic in a peaceful way.

I remember a rumour from a while ago that Brainman = Sandman (Izik Levy).

418008[/snapback]

I asked on you-know-what-mailinglist-I'm-talking-about if theer was a connection between the two some time back; Way back in 1996 there was talk about they being the same person or some other connection, and I somehow recalled hearing that when I was listening to Brain Food. So did you hear this from my posting or have you too heard it elsewhere? I'm pretty convinced they're not the same (we'd know by now) but there really are some eerie similarities in the music.

I think this can be Brainman:

http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/...c/76528/forum/8

:D:D

Just kidding...

Anyway, a mystery for sure... Someone should ask the TIP crew who he was/is... I'm not in contact with them, so, anyone..??

Another thing, the Brainman album was really hated by most Goa/psytrancers at the time it was released... It was a big mystery for many why a quality label (at that time) like TIP could release an album like this... But, I guess you are right Ukiro, that it was too weird for most people at that time... There was A LOT of discussion about it I remember... Oh, my gosh! It's allready ten years ago!!! Time goes too fast....

NP: Autechre - Incunabula (Warp)

I asked on you-know-what-mailinglist-I'm-talking-about if theer was a connection between the two some time back; Way back in 1996 there was talk about they being the same person or some other connection, and I somehow recalled hearing that when I was listening to Brain Food. So did you hear this from my posting or have you too heard it elsewhere? I'm pretty convinced they're not the same (we'd know by now) but there really are some eerie similarities in the music.

418093[/snapback]

I'm not exactly sure who I heard it from. It was a very log time ago (I'm talking years) so it's hard to remember. I also heard that Jean Borelli is not the real name of the guy behind Orion, but then again I may be wrong since it's just a story I heard loooong time ago.

I'm not exactly sure who I heard it from. It was a very log time ago (I'm talking years) so it's hard to remember. I also heard that Jean Borelli is not the real name of the guy behind Orion, but then again I may be wrong since it's just a story I heard loooong time ago.

418160[/snapback]

"Jean" is just his middle name apparantly, the name he uses in everyday life os something else - but I can't remember what it is! I know I saw it on a flyer for a party here in Stockholm, but I can't find info on that party anywhere on the net.