Label: Farfield Records

Format: CD

Release Date: July 2005

Style: Ambient

Tracklist

1. Joshua Tree (16.51)

2. Solitude (28.24)

3. 29 Palms (21.25)

Tom Heasley's debut cd, Where The Earth Meets The Sky, was just fucking brilliant, characterized by the innovate use of recorded tuba.

Tom's third CD, Desert Triptych was recorded live on tour in 2003 and features layered didjeridu and voice. It was mixed from multi-track masters by Robert Rich for release by Farfield Records in July 2005.

1. Joshua Tree (16.51)

Calm and lonely under a tree , in a desert, while afternoon gives its place to night....

2. Solitude (28.24)

Solitude starts with some great didgeridoo sounds along with a bunch of layers and pads that succeed in creating a solitary yet not hostile soundscape. Noticeable is the distant,cold feeling blended with warmth though...

3. 29 Palms (21.25)

Didgeridoo's fantastic sound once again... 29 Palm's is probably the most mysterious track of all three... As if you find yourself almost hypnotized further in the desert and try realise what's your place in the universe and what has happened, however still remaining calm and not panicking.....

All in All

Smooth beatless psychedelia, I bet this won't dissapoint anyone of the ambient lovers. Needless to say, production quality is very high and the overall result is rich,abundant music. Hypnotic,cold,distant,peaceful,psychedelic soundscapes.

Rating: 10/10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Posted Image

Tom Heasley

Desert Triptych

Farfield Records

Tracklist

1 Joshua Tree (16:51)

2 Solitude (28:24)

3 29 Palms (21:25)

Ambient with didjeridu? That doesn't sound like my cup of tea! I've never really enjoyed the didjeridu, it's not very musical & it can be loud & annoying if played badly which it seems every seems to do! In this album though the didjeridu is used very well. It's subtle for the most part & generally acts as a drone mixing in well with the other sounds like that of the wind & wails & voices from the ether.

1. Joshua Tree

Imagine standing in an Australian desert at night. In the distance up ahead you can hear the slow drone of a didjeridu, above you the sky is clear except for a few wisps of cloud. The Moon is bright & gives everything an eerie glow. It's cold and there are no other people for miles & miles. In the distance behind you, you can hear the howling of a lone wolf, at least you hope it's a wolf. It morphs slowly into something more. Bigger & more powerful than any mere beast. Still it poses no immediate danger & I don't know whether to lie down & relax or be wary of the darkness.

2. Solitude

The didjeridu is suddenly much closer. All the sounds are. Solitude feels lonely yet at peace with itself & with all the elements around it. Ethereal voices speak to each other pan-dimensionally & in my solitude out here I can eavesdrop on their conversation. The meaning though is incomprehensible to me as my mind is to limited to understand. Still it's a nice feeling to hear it.

I lie back & watch the stars, from here the sky is full of stars, each one filled with promise & expectation. It's breathtaking.

The start of the track carries on the cold feeling of Joshua Tree but it progressively gets warmer until it has a nice warm summer evening feel, but still in the middle of nowhere.

3. 29 Psalms

Again the didjeridu sounds closer still & more real. There is more of a human element at first with someone crying from the darkness making this feel more earthy. The cries are carried on the wind from a location near by but I can not find it. I search & search through the track to find the humanity I can sense. Towards the end I find the settlement but it's humanity has been stripped. I'm alone again, stood in the middle of this town in the middle of the desert wondering where everyone has gone & where the sounds came from. Slowly, very slowly even the sounds disappear & I am left in silence, truly alone.

Well, I don't think this is going to make me a fan of the didjeridu but it has definitely shown me that it can be played well.

For the rest, it is immaculately produced & arranged and it reallybuilds nice atmospheres and conjures up images of the desert in your mind!

• 1 month later...