Final Scratch

yes indeed, it allows you to mix computer music with turntables, since im an old nostalgic geezer, its just the thing for me

355359[/snapback]

So its not an anti-bacterial genital cream ?

That sounds really cool. but how on earth does that work? you can mix mp3's basically with your vinyl turntables? if so, very very cool.

It is the ULTIMATE tool for Hip-hop! Yes, you need two turntables!

It is fuckin awesome! Basically it allows you to take soundclips off your pc and scratch using the turntables as your interface. Awesome for dj sets and live performances. I haven't used it but worked with a crew who did about a year ago. They did a live show where they sampled the MC live and scratched his words a few seconds later!

if you are fully into mixing Hip-Hop/ Breakbeat then go for it!

if you want to mix psy get cdj's!

well Alex, if your dad knows what Final Scratch is, then he must be a cool dad.

my dad doesn't even know how to switch on the computer.

or you'd be shopping toghether for your gift :P

either way, your dad rocks.

can you tell your dad that i want a car? my birthday is 13 february. thanks.

It is the ULTIMATE tool for Hip-hop! Yes, you need two turntables!

It is fuckin awesome! Basically it allows you to take soundclips off your pc and scratch using the turntables as your interface. Awesome for dj sets and live performances. I haven't used it but worked with a crew who did about a year ago. They did a live show where they sampled the MC live and scratched his words a few seconds later!

if you are fully into mixing Hip-Hop/ Breakbeat then go for it!

if you want to mix psy get cdj's!

355362[/snapback]

im not into psy anymore, really, i listen to some prog psy, but mostly prog house and electro/minimal/techno, and thats what im trying to mix. and those things dont get released on cd at all, so im thinking of mixing real vynil with computer files on final scratch vynil, plus i love the feel and handling of vynil, and i already have a "normal" setup with 1210s plus almost a thousand old vynils.

but good to hear that it works for scratching, vynilabusing hip-hoppers, then it will easily work for what im trying to do.

Edit: My dad has no idea what final scratch is, he is just providing the necessary funds :D but, He was really intrigued when I explained what it was and how it works, actuaLLY he couldnt believe it

im not into psy anymore, really, i listen to some prog psy, but mostly prog house and electro/minimal/techno, and thats what im trying to mix. and those things dont get released on cd at all, so im thinking of mixing real vynil with computer  files on final scratch vynil, plus i love the feel and handling of vynil, and i already have a "normal" setup with 1210s plus almost a thousand old vynils.

but good to hear that it works for scratching, vynilabusing hip-hoppers, then it will easily work for what im trying to do.

355372[/snapback]

Then I seriously suggest you get it bro!

enjoy :)

To be quite honest, I've never really seen the hype with Final Scratch. For me, its main advantage seems to be that you can bring huge quantities of music to a gig on a hard drive or laptop. I don't see it really advancing the creative process of DJing - just delaying back injuries from lugging crates of vinyl to gigs. ;) But other than that, unless I'm missing something, it's still the same physical interface as the classic "2 turntables and a microphone" setup with the same performance limitations. The only advantage I see over a 2-CDJ setup is that you can play your digital files *directly* without having to first burn them.

If/when I decide to "go software" with DJing, I will do the Ableton thing, no doubt. Naturally with my own personal-built Maven controller. ;) But for that you need a totally kickass laptop, which is pretty damned pricey.

I guess I am familiar with your particular DJing situation somewhat, so I'll mention a few things to consider...

1. Can your laptop handle the software? I know you've had it for a few years and newer software often runs shitty on older computers.

2. I assume that you will still play your records in addition to your digital files on final scratch. I believe that the final scratch system has a special stylus that will only work with the special timecoded platter. Will it be a problem for you to switch & re-balance to a normal stylus on the fly if you want to go from playing a mp3 file to playing a record (or vice versa)? Or will you just record all of your important vinyls to mp3 files?

3. I know that you enjoy scratching with your balls when you play. Will musty cocksweat dried into the grooves of the special platter cause problems with it? :P

For your current situation, it's probably not such a bad idea. You have a lot of really kickass tracks on your laptop that you cannot otherwise play (Careless Whisper?!?!) and Final Scratch will give you a way to do it. It's probably no better or worse for you than CDJs...maybe a bit better since it's a pain in the butt to burn & catalogue several hundred tracks.

thanks for your input Fluffy, i was gonna call you tonight anyways to ask your opinion. Flo (DJ Krusoe) just got it, and he keeps on telling me how awesome it is, and his "DJ'ing situation" is the same as mine, lots of old Vynil, and all the cool new stuff on the Computer. Since Im not a DJ fetishist trying to "re-invent the wheel", just a regular Bedroom DJ with an incredibly good and insatiable taste in music trying to mix some sets for home use and personal enjoyment, i am thinking this is a good way of getting around CDjs, because I hate handling them and i loove the analogue feel of touching and holding real vynil.

But you are right about point 1) can my laptop handle it? I have 1,66GHZ, thats enough according to the specifications to play the highest quality files. switching the stylus wont be to big of a problem ithink, thats fairly easy and, but as far as i know thats not necessary. but, after work today ill go to a store to check it out.

About point 3, thats why I have you, dont i, to clean the sweat of my balls with your forehead

a friend of mine uses final scratch and I think it's stupid...

so fucking stupid I'm sorry to tell you but it's like fake although you are actually playing...

I just don't like it :unsure:

so, i guess ill give you all an update. I ended up getting mixvibes, not final scratch, its an imitation of final scratch, because the guy in the store said it is a lot stabler than FS and it can do the same thing, but it costs only 280 €, not 550€ like FS1.5 or 800€ like FS 2.0. So I figured if the guy in the store recommends me the cheap stuff, even though I was prepared to pay the 550€, it must be good, AND IT IS!!!

I can do everything I wanted to do with it, and its some mucH fun. Its like having a whole record store at my feet, I can actually spin my whole computer. I already raped the Kompakt MP3 Store and The conzoom mp3 store (www.conzoom.com, highly recommended for electro house/minimal). I can actually buy a 12" for 2€ now instead of 7€, and that combined with the "pirate loot" I've compiled over the years, AWESOME!!!!!!

So there only remains one question, how do you guys record your sets. Do you have any recommended software to do so? Where to get it? I cant wait to record like three million mixes in the next couple of weeks, but I dont wanna do the old tape thing again....Please help!!

So there only remains one question, how do you guys record your sets. Do you have any recommended software to do so? Where to get it? I cant wait to record like three million mixes in the next couple of weeks, but I dont wanna do the old tape thing again....Please help!!

360335[/snapback]

I use soundforge ...... just hit record and thats it ....... :)