Hi I'm the new guy

So I'm just introducing myself first, I'm Irish and have been listening to psytrance for maybe only a year or two. I've been listening to electronic music as my favourite type of music for much longer though, I just sorta hated mainstream trance and so alienated myself from that whole scene so's I could concentrate on Brian Eno's ambient stuff, Jean Michel Jarre, that kinda stuff. I've come to love to the psytrance genre though and even had the opportunity to DJ a full psytrance set once which was amazing! The scene here's tiny so I didn't know if the uneducated crowd would respond well to it; I found myself mixing in really intense out-of-genre tracks like Konflict - Messiah to attenuate some of the really intense psy and people loved it!

Anyways I've got another rave coming up on a friend's piece of land (we DJed together last time, doing that again) and this time we're going to be sticking completely to psy seeing as it's our territory as we're both mad about the genre.

Being uneducated I naturally gravitated towards this forum and find myself baffled by playlists full of names I don't know. So I was going to ask if it's considered wrong to stick mainly to the well known stuff like hallucinogen, doof and filteria? I just don't see many playlists with 'obvious' choices on them.

Also I mixed shpongle's DMT with the vox remix and it sounds a little iffy mostly cos the tracks shine so well seperately but I wanted to get the melodic beauty of the shpongle track and the banging dancable-ness of the remix in one song as a closer... I'd upload it if I knew where to put it. Anyways they're pretty much mixed just 50:50, and it often sounds a little obvious that the two tracks are seperate but I just love them so much! Any and all advice appreciated, and big up yourselves, this forum is great!

LOL I hear ya man! Wasted or not I rarely bother reading things more than a paragraph. So I'll summarize:

-Hello! Psytrance rocks!

-Is a playlist with 'obvious' track like hallucinogen worse than an innovative one?

-Is a 50:50 mix of shpongle's DMT and the vox remix a good idea as a closing track?

-Your forum rocks!

So I'm just introducing myself first, I'm Irish and have been listening to psytrance for maybe only a year or two. I've been listening to electronic music as my favourite type of music for much longer though, I just sorta hated mainstream trance and so alienated myself from that whole scene so's I could concentrate on Brian Eno's ambient stuff, Jean Michel Jarre, that kinda stuff. I've come to love to the psytrance genre though and even had the opportunity to DJ a full psytrance set once which was amazing! The scene here's tiny so I didn't know if the uneducated crowd would respond well to it; I found myself mixing in really intense out-of-genre tracks like Konflict - Messiah to attenuate some of the really intense psy and people loved it!

Anyways I've got another rave coming up on a friend's piece of land (we DJed together last time, doing that again) and this time we're going to be sticking completely to psy seeing as it's our territory as we're both mad about the genre.

Being uneducated I naturally gravitated towards this forum and find myself baffled by playlists full of names I don't know. So I was going to ask if it's considered wrong to stick mainly to the well known stuff like hallucinogen, doof and filteria? I just don't see many playlists with 'obvious' choices on them.

Also I mixed shpongle's DMT with the vox remix and it sounds a little iffy mostly cos the tracks shine so well seperately but I wanted to get the melodic beauty of the shpongle track and the banging dancable-ness of the remix in one song as a closer... I'd upload it if I knew where to put it. Anyways they're pretty much mixed just 50:50, and it often sounds a little obvious that the two tracks are seperate but I just love them so much! Any and all advice appreciated, and big up yourselves, this forum is great!

327788[/snapback]

hey how's it going, some nice background man. Yea, psytrance may not be as well known as other genres, but it's got a huge amount of artists in it for its size, and to tell the truth, most of the music is pretty much the same <_< , so you can cancel about half of the artists to get some truly original music :) .

Btw, Konflict - Messiah is a niiiice track, I could imagine it being mixed into a psytrance set...would have to be dark tho.

Welcome soundofliberation :)

Excelent introduction! And you are irish too. how cool is that?

Aswering the question about palying the obvious or the innovative, i would go for the innovative.

The obvious like you said it, hallucinogen, is a classic, and therefore is good to play, but even being obvious as you said its still innovative music thats for sure. What i am trying to say, is that by the "obvious" you can go much worse then that, the very much mainstreen style the pop kind of psytrance. They are out there alive and kicking unfortunaly

In some sense i think that you already know what i am saying, and i am really most amazed to hear a little about the irish psytrance scene that it seens to me as small, a little bit more passionate maybe? that usally happens, cause if you are spinnig hallucinogen and it is obvious, it seens to me that maybe dont try to get the innovative, keep just on track on what is obviously good to you

:)

Hmm... Yes the Irish psytrancers are passionate, there are the occasional uber-secret doofs at beaches and on secret islands but mostly there's just one organiser who sets up gigs for his DJ mates in the one club. They're cool people, but it'd be nice if the scene wasn't so insular.

Also to illustrate what I meant by 'obvious' here's an idea for the tracklisting for our first hour or so at this upcoming party. Most of the ambient-ey tracks just play their intros for the really upbeat tracks. I'm particularly proud of the Herb garden -> Shamanix transition.

00:00 01 The call - mystery of the yeti 1

03:19 02 weird on a monday night - younger brother

12:38 03 flute fruit - shpongle

14:45 04 long long arms - audio chemists & hallucinogen

22:06 05 geometric patterns - dark nebula

28:44 06 Infected astrix Monster remix [mixed with] poison - astrix

35:57 07 The Herb Garden - mystery of the yeti 2

36:08 08 Shamanix - Hallucinogen

47:27 09 Amen - Astral Projection

53:07 10 We Are Free - Doof

60:00 11 Domestic Modulator - Filteria

68:26 12 Marijuana - 1200 mics

73:41 13 Divine moments of truth [original mixed with vox remix] - shpongle/hallucinogen

As you can see there's a bit of a posford overload, and the tracks don't always transition in the usual beatmatching way, i used interludes to add to the build up of a track so when something like filteria lands the people don't know what hit them!

MFG rules. "New Kind of World" is one that I would love to work in there.

What Dimension 5 I've heard, I found it a bit too urban, minimal and not very emotional. Any tracks that break this convention?

Green Nuns I expected a lot from but was a little disappointed with Ring of Fire cos I thought it would blow my mind and :( no explosion.

Electric Universe only know "You decide" but tht's a great track :)

As for Chi-Ad... Any recommended tracks?

MFG rules. "New Kind of World" is one that I would love to work in there.

What Dimension 5 I've heard, I found it a bit too urban, minimal and not very emotional. Any tracks that break this convention?

Green Nuns I expected a lot from but was a little disappointed with Ring of Fire cos I thought it would blow my mind and :( no explosion.

Electric Universe only know "You decide" but tht's a great track :)

As for Chi-Ad... Any recommended tracks?

328259[/snapback]

MFG: The Prophecy and Project Genesis are their best albums IMHO.

Green nuns: Ring of Fire DOES blow my mind... anywayz =]

Chi.A.D. : Definitely check INFINITISM album , as well as their unreleased one EARTH CROSSING

DIMENSION 5: quite the opposite i would say. ! check the SECOND PHAZE album

ELECTRIC UNIVERSE: most of his earlier stuff, including projects under different name [ Borris Blenn & Jupiter8000 ]

maybe also check MAN WITH NO NAME - MOMENT OF TRUTH [not so much for dancing though] , SHAKTA - SILICON TRIP , hm... SHIVA CHANDRA - SPICY MOMENTS

i like all of the above :]

I've been looking for a hosting site.. well, kinda, not very hard :P If you have any ideas I'll be glad to upload. Also you should know that the mix is very rough, meant for those who aren't paying too much attention. It's pretty much just key-matched, beat-matched and time-streched to make them harmonious and left play with a minimum of filtering and crossfading. If that makes sense.

I've beest thinking of mixing them proper for the party, like, spending more than a half hour mixing them like. Unfortunately I've got exams and studying needs doing so my dedication to such a thing would be difficult at best.

I'll do my best to find some u/l space. ;)

^^^Thanks schmo, but that site seems to be for emailing files only... There's no upload space. I guess I'll just make some temp geocities thingy again or somefin.

EDIT: Just found out I've got 100mb from my ISP. Give me a mo to upload.

^^^Thanks schmo, but that site seems to be for emailing files only... There's no upload space. I guess I'll just make some temp geocities thingy again or somefin.

EDIT: Just found out I've got 100mb from my ISP. Give me a mo to upload.

328669[/snapback]

Alright you solved it anyway, but you can use yousendit as upload space aswell, just upload the file, send it to your own mail and then use that link.

Ah. Sorry about that. I just saw the emailing thingy and then remembered all the lovely webspace. I'm just u/ling exerpts from the mix cos I cant fit the whole thing on there. This is what I've u/led so far, just two transitions, but I'm proud of them:

Domestic Modulator -> Marijuana

We Are Free -> Domestic Modulator

It was really hard to find something that could comfortably come out of Domestic Modulator cos the track's so bloody powerful. I used the sample from marijuana and i reckon the humour breaks the tension of all those overloading synths nicely.