Hollywood movie samples - love 'em or hate 'em?

Guest kingdok

Personally I think it's kind of a cop-out when you hear samples ripped directly from a film score. Yeah, it's cool to hear real strings and horn sections, but wouldn't you respect the artist even more if they hired an orchestra to play music they themselves wrote. Shpongle does this, I'm fairly sure. (It all comes down to $$$)

Then there's the dialog and sound effects samples. Sound effects don't bother me as much as some of the dialog that gets put into trance, epecially when it's from highly-recognizable blockbusters like Gladiator or [insert current flavor-of-the-week box-office-smash].

If psynews.org could extend a "yeah" or "nay" cry to all the psy artists out there when it comes to this issue, what would it say? I want everyone's input. Where do you stand?

a) It's lame; stop doing it.

B) It's cool as long as it's done selectively, using original content whenever possible.

c) Gimmie, gimmie, gimme! Anyone who complains about this needs to get off their lazy asses and write their own @!#$.

hollywood samples ARE lame... some kind of work but 95% are just schlock crap garbage inserted for no reason. i know of many songs that i cannot listen to thanks to dumb samples from the matrix, sixth sense, or whatever else. make your own samples! dont the artists have a voice? must they simply scan movies for the content they wish to share?

Guest Elysium Project

Sorry to break the news to you kingdok but Shpongle use a lot of sampling and do not at all hire any musicians (except for Raj's ocassional flutes) or orchestras.

Guest Peaceful Warrior

I think if it is done intelligently and it makes sense in the song then go for it. I am totally against hard and fast rules or formulas in Psy-trance (or in any music). Always do this, don't ever do this ....etc....etc..... I don't like this attitude!

i like them a lot, and i´m allways happy when i recognise a sample in a track i like. somehow it throws a different light to the track if i know the sample is from this or that movie. can´t really explain why...

np: battle of the future buddhas - mr fantastic

Samples are cool if they're used subversively; ex: "there's crazy people out there"

would not work in a scary track, but if the music starts getting happy and that

sample is thrown in, it works. Inversely, Bush's "thousand points of light" speech

would work in a DARK track... these are pretty lame examples, but you see what

I'm getting at. And basilisk, don't knock "scanning" until you've tried it ;-)

Guest Mike D

Hmm, I agree with Elysium, I doubt many artist do use live music instead of samples. I think Shpongkle, other than Raja Ram, just samples and he has the technical knowledge to make it sound 'live'. I mean, Sonic Fusions drums often sound live, but I;d say he uses drum pads and sampling a lot more than a bunch of dude baning away on congo drums! It is nice when it does happen tho. I don'

t see anything wrong with sampling, and the use of samples, done in the right way,m is very good for thos on drugs, giving them a link often when it is hard to keep control, well thatis what my mat Nick and Jimmy say, they are pro. dj's and producers. Hollywood samples like Independece Day for Release by Infected sh!t me because I hated the movie, but I love all of Astral's sampling and also Wizzy Noise seem to really have the gift, as well as X-Dream do it very good to, like the kid's song in Pop, freaky!

Guest Kakoolalajwal

Mike D and Elyseum are right, I am sure.....

The sonic engineerie is quite a form of art, and some are very skilled practising it...

About the topic, I would say "b"

Some samples have just turned me crazy when I recognized them, and 4 sure other ones just made me wonder what the fok did the artist wanted to mean usiing this ???

However, maybe u won't like what I' gonna write now, but some of the best movie-sample involved in music are in Hip-Hop.....

Et oui.... ils sont pas si cons, ces gens là...

he he

Cheers

Guest Pswede

Shpongle even used SAMPLES from a FREE demosampling CD from TC I think..The low singing voice on the first cd he made... its not even FX on it.. :)

Pretty lame you may say.. but he does it WELL =)

Guest Zaraknon

yes, a lot of the singing on Tales of The Inexpressible must be taken from sampling CDs. e.g. check the voice sample at the beginning of Banco de Gaia's 'B2' and then listen to Shpongle's 'Room 23'.....

Guest bugbread

Actually, MOST (not all) of the singing is Simon's girlfriend, but there are a TON of music samples used throughout the tune, notably the guitar intro to Around the World in a Tea Daze, the main melody in My Head Feels Like a Frisbee, and all the ethnic tribal vocals at the start of DMT (the last one is obviously a sample, but it sounds like a mix of 6 or 7 different vocal samples: in fact, it is taken of a sampler CD with those samples already mixed). But if you can do it that well, by all means do it.

Guest FSOL

I think movie samples are used to fill the empty space that are in the songs because most of the psytrance producers are too lazy to create something own, execpt Simon P and Infected and sometimes AP

I think most Hollywood samples suck, they are just too obvious.

I like it more when you cannot recognize which actor is speaking.

Infected Mushroom sums it up: some of their samples suck, like that Winona rider sample "a man with the bass just walked in... he's putting you down on the floor..

Argh!! Terrible. But I love the Independance day sample at the beginning of Release Me.

Guest bugbread

It's nice for me, because I don't watch movies, so I never know the sample. I didn't realize the whole "Release Me" thing was from ID4, and I've always liked the "Man with the Bass" sample, because I remember thinking, "Where the hell did they find a sample like that?"

BTW: What movie is that sample from? You mentioned Winona Ryder...what movie?

Guest overfiend

some times i wonder why they used the sample they did when the movie was full of better samples. example: thx1138, fear and loathing, naked lunch ect...

Guest spacemonkey - 604

i like a lot of those samples, some of them are too obvious and therefore cheesy but i am a real movie addict and it's alway's nice to hear something back if it is done good and proffesional.

about the "live" music", if i am not mistaking Eternal basment used some real own written vilolin stuff on their album magnet i think.

Guest hogus

I like to play it safe and go for (a).

What's not lame for one person is lame for another. Besides there's a lot better, obscure samples out there than hollywood movies.

I go for psytrance because it seems less commercial. Having samples from an industry as blatantly commercial as Hollywood contradicts my personal trance phillosophy. There are many tracks out there that I'd love to play, that are spoiled by lame samples, put there as a distraction or to fill space.

I guess I may just be a pansy, but I also don't like playing music with a lot of swearing or refferences to drugs. It's not that I'm against people taking drugs. It's just have having tracks featuring drug taking makes it seem that this is what its all about. People are taking it to get new insight into themselves and the music, so why have that feedback loop where you're going whoa I'm tripping, I'm tripping, I'm tripping.... when you could have, whoa... I never thought about (x) like that.

Like LYRICS, I think the only thing a sample will do for a song is make it so MORE PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE SONG.

I've NEVER heard anybody say "I'm sure glad that sample's there - i'd HATE this track without it!!"

But i HAVE heard people say "Dude that sample TOTALLY RUINS this track!!"

VERY vague, very short, very quiet samples are my favorites.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

"I'm OK"