Label: Organic Records (UK)

Cat. #: ORGCD009

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: 6 June 2005

Track listing:

01. 09’17” O.O.O.D. – Free Range

02. 08’19” Jirah - Paradise

03. 08’39” Benefactor – Modus Operandi

04. 08’49” Pop Stream & Backspace – Oom Da (Warp Mix)

05. 06’19” Safi Connection – Hello Houston (Chris Organic Remix)

06. 06’41” Anax - Music

07. 09’00” Synthia System – Whammy Mammy

08. 08’41” Voice Of Cod vs. Chris Organic – Unusual Illusion

09. 05’32” 2PM - Catz

10. 01’20” Bonus hidden samples + effects

Review:

Organic summer trance-a-thon…

This is the latest offering from one of the last active UK-based psytrance labels… Organic Records headed by Chris Organic, has put out a number of sweet tunes - the most significant being the Tsunami Benefit triple compilation… With Invasion From Hyperspace we’re treated to a mix of well-establish artists and a couple of newbies… All handpicked by Andrew Humphries from Voice Of Cod… Should be an interesting combo – let’s find out…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: O.O.O.D. – Free Range

O.O.O.D. has been in the game since 1994 cracking tunes from their Bristol base… This trance-collective consists of Colin Bennun, Stephen Callaghan and Nigel Bradbury. Nigel is not featured on this track though, but he’s replaced by Ramsay Melhuish & Ray Potier. No idea who they are or whether they are now steady members of the collective!?.... What I do know however, is that this tune is a taster from the upcoming O.O.O.D. album also called Free Range… This track starts out with radio static, pop-chords and funky guitars… And you’ll wonder if you put on the right CD!? But soon a particularly well-executed bassline hits your ears – alongside a buzzing synth-pad and some crackling percussion… I like the uplifting melodies, but generally I like my psy a little harder and with less vocals and guitars than this… But it’s still a decent track and especially the last couple of minutes are pretty nice…

#02: Jirah – Paradise

American Tim McCall released his debut album Outer Access on USTA in 2003 – and his work has been featured on a number of compilations… I was particularly impressed with his downbeat tune on Aleph Zero’s Natural Born Chillers compilation… That track had some amazing ethnic qualities and so does this upbeat tune… Epic melodies, a broad rhythm section and an overall impressive production… Reminds me a little of Juno Reactor actually – nice! A very uplifting, morning tune here… Nice!

#03: Benefactor – Modus Operandi

Benefactor is Chris Organic & Colin Bennun in cahoots… Just like they were on the Tsunami Benefit compilation… You can really tell that there are years and years of experience behind this track… It starts out very laid-back and kinda tribal – and soon we’re exposed to a trademark British kick-drum/bassline combo… A very mature and rich track – awfully trippy and very dancefloor friendly… And with enough nifty little acid-lines to keep me interested… Sweet choon!

#04: Pop Stream & Backspace – Oom Da (Warp Mix)

This original version of this track is on the Tsunami Benefit compilation – and here it’s remixed by the creators… Pop Stream is Yinon Oved from Israel – he released his debut album Into Orbit on Phonokol in 2004 and is very active with tracks on compilations… Backspace is Adi Milner and AFAIK he’s not released anything else… As you could expect this track is fluffy full-on… Very uplifting in nature and very commercial… But it does what it’s supposed to: Packs the dancefloor… That siren is hard to resists even for a grumpy old elitist trancer like me… And if I put on my cheese-hat I’ll enjoy this track immensely… I’m not wearing that today though…

#05: Safi Connection – Hello Houston (Chris Organic Remix)

I’ve not heard the original of Mishel Bitton’s track which was on the Digination’s Vol.01 compilation released last year by Spliff Music… But here it’s remixed by Chris Organic himself…This is pretty straightforward clubby full-on with a splash of Organic… Kinda sounds like Astral Projection dolled-up to please the club-crowd… Not my fav’e cup of java to be honest, but again with the cheese-hat on things might look different…

#06: Anax – Music

“Music began long before it was formalized into notes… For mankind it began with an accident!” Dusan Sekic from Serbia released his debut album Not Over Yet on Kagdila Records in 2004 and has tracks on a couple of hard-hitting compilations… This is a little harder than the previous two tracks with its deep bass and repeated naïve melodies… The tribal percussion is pretty classy here and overall this is a nice little, funky number that really picks up for the last couple of minutes… Too bad it all ends so soon… Tasty track!

#07: Synthia System – Whammy Mammy

“I’m about to be part of the chemical generation… Doves, playboys, biscuits, barrels, cali's, clear caps, china whites, rhubarbs, looney tunes, new yorkers, bang on! We're larging it! The Full Monty! Safe as houses, pair of trousers, what a laugh.... lets do another half!” Synthia System is Nick Howdle-Smith & Dan Warburton aka. Error Corrective… I’ve liked everything I’ve heard from these guys so far – especially the tracks on the Wild Rumpus compilation released only months ago were awesome… And they continue with the rugged, hard-hitting, underground style on this absolutely massive track… They’ve wisely sampled the movie Human Traffic, and yeah this track would go down SO well with a disco biscuit… Fuck me, it’s an awesome track – the rapid changes in pace, the razor-sharp stabs and hisses – and the overall phat wall of sound – it’s all good! I can’t wait for the debut album on Wild Thing Records… Stellar track!

#08: Voice Of Cod vs. Chris Organic – Unusual Illusion

Battle of the giants here: Andrew Humphries, who compiled this CD + Colin Bennun from O.O.O.D.… Teamed up with another heavyweight, Chris Organic… That’s a lot of talent for just one track! Hopefully this is a taster of what we can expect from the upcoming Voice Of Cod album on Organic Records… The intro here is very harmonic with just a slight indication of what’s about to happen: Hard-hitting, full-power psytrance with spacey synth leads… Very energetic and very trippy! It’s melodic, but still with a distinct gritty underground feel to it… I dig it loads!

#09: 2PM – Catz

Here’s the debut release from Polish producer Marek Gorski… As legend has it, the last track is often of an experimental nature, and this is no exception… This is highly experimental sound manipulation – breakz & electro bits mixed with acid trance… Very old-school at times, refreshingly new at others… A nice little track for sure, but way too short…

#10: Bonus hidden samples + effects

The value added bonus on this CD comes in the form of some samples + FX… ‘Hidden’ is an overstatement as it’s clearly indicated on the digipack what this is… A bunch of spacey FX that I’m sure will come in handy for bedroom producers…

With a few exceptions, I really like Mr. Humphries’ selection of tracks here… It gets a little too clubby for my taste in the middle of the track list, but luckily we get some more hard-hitting choons later on… And generally speaking this is quality all the way!

This CD is perfect for those late-night summer parties – and works pretty damn well in my living room too… Fans of UK trance should definitely check this out, as should fans of edgy full-on and well-produced, melodic! The summer is here! Enjoy!

Favourites: 2, 3, 6, 7(!!), 8(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Organic Records: http://www.organicrecords.net

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/dq3se

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/8nbax

PsySale: http://tinyurl.com/7r5dw

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/7ed5d

Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/88osg

Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/aw3mh

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/c9tx2

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/7jsn7

A little clarification about the current members of O.O.O.D./Unconcious Collective. My initial review was based on second hand information, but here's Colin's clarification:

For your information, Nigel is no longer a regular part of OOOD, and whilst he can never be replaced, new members (and old friends) Ramsay and Ryo are already having a very positive influence (I think) on the band - both live in the Stooodio.

Nigel only plays live with us very occasionally, and hasn't written with OOOD for a couple of years now; Rama and Ryo have joined and I really enjoy working with them. Fresh ideas, new perspectives, and a huge and eclectic taste in music. We've reorganised things a little: Unconscious Collective is now the outlet for our non-dancefloor tracks but has the same lineup as OOOD (with the occasional addition of a couple of vocalists for our live sets). We've got quite a few tracks (an album's-worth, actually ) in an eclectronica style and we're playing like this at Glade festival in the UK this summer.

Four blokes, two bands... hope it makes sense!

Yeah, it makes perfect sense Colin... Brilliant! I happy to see you guys still enjoying doing what you do best... Here's hoping for more high-quality releases in the future. I know you'll pull it off! ;o)

/DP

i love this album.

it's something you cannot miss from your collection.

the cover is a bit sucky. i guess they wanted to attract the eye by putting all that invasion of colorful objects. but it's ok, it's a warm and colorful cover. it's gonna be a hard-to-forget one.

the album is good quality all the way. summer trance music indeed.

good for the dance floor. or .. better said .. good for the dance grass! i'd play this album on the top of a mountain.

also it's something that will turn your non-psy girl into a psy-girl. especially tracks 1, 2, 3 and 4.

in some parts it gets full-on'ish, trance'ish, dark'ish, it is very melodic and this is the basic characteristic of this compilation .. the combination and association of all these was successful.

most tracks on this one are destined to pack the dance floor if you ask me.

i give all the tracks "thumbs up". however, my favourite tracks are: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7.

• 3 months later...

hehe, 3-4 months have passed and i still didn't get tired of listening to this compilation.

i have to say this is one of the most uplifting & melodic & powerful compilations i heard in the last couple of years. allways makes my day.