Hi :-)

lectrolux

Hi everyone,

Im new (ie, within last few months) to the world of psy/goa trance. Having been a hardhouse/hardcore dj for the last few years, trips to 'Planet Zogg' in Sheffield (where I am currently at uni), and 'Antiworld' in London, along with a few fantastic psytrance cd mixes being passed onto me have made me decide its time to dip into the scene - tracks like 'As I Child I Could Walk On The Ceiling' by The Delta, and 'Let It All Out' by Eskimo sound so refreshing to me on a musical level :D

Now for the question.... as im used to (nearly 7 years now :o ) only djing music with percussive intros and outros, im having a few problems adjusting the way I mix to what is required for the intros/outros of psy/goa - can anybody give me some pointers on this, or recommend a good webpage/tutorial to check?

Cheers everyone

Lectrolux

That's a mighty wide question you ask... any idea what sort of goa/psy you'd like to try your hand at mixing? Generally I find all modern full-on to be a total piece of cake hardly worth troubling one's own grey matter to spit any kind of datum from one neuron to the next... the older stuff - therein lies the challenge. Years have taught me that not everything will mix together - a careful process of experimentation is what best leads to frew-it-ful results. At times one must accept that certain tracks are nearly unmixable, or you'll have to do the mad crossfader dash to bring it over in time (Hux Flux makes stumpers that require this treatment for example)... it all goes back to one simple, beautiful concept: know thy music.

it all goes back to one simple, beautiful concept: know thy music.

I doubt a truer phrase will ever be said about mixing now that I think about it... I suppose the difference between mixing psychadelic for a week, and hard dance for several years is quite a vast amount of time hehe - it will probably all fall into place with more practice, it just appears (at face value anyway) to be so vastly different in the way it is mixed - im used to holding tracks in for 2-3 mins with hardhouse etc, layering percussion to keep the energy going - psy/goa definately seems to be more about timing....I think :blink:

As for what style, I wouldn't really know where it fits on the scope of things, but one of the first albums I bought was 'Take A Look Out There' by Eskimo, and most of the tracks on there appeal to me - I just have a general passion for anything energetic :)

Hey man lectrolux :) glad to be sharing sine waves with you bro!

I hope your psychedelic journey is fullon & crazy.

I just got one pointer/hint for you;

headphones on - volume full to the max - bass down treble up - enjoy :P

also check out "POINT - do you believe?" on Phantasm Recs

(if you liked eskimo - you'll love this!)

x

the senpsy

Hi Senpsy, thanks for the welcome :)

Good call on the 'Do You Believe' album - checked it out last night and got my order in straight away, thanks for pointing that one out... any advice on who else fits this kinda psy sound for me to look out for??

Lectrolux

heya lectrolux! :D

Ive not been listeneing to psy-trance for all that long now but one thing i do know is that once i find an artist or style i really dig (man) then i buy everything that record label has to offer!

In this case its Phantasm Records - (UK Psychedelic Chapter)

Believe me you wont be dissaPOINTed!

geddit?

dissa POINT ed?

geddit?

dissa POIN (sorry...ill get my coat) <_<

x

the senpsy

Hi everyone,

Im new (ie, within last few months) to the world of psy/goa trance. Having been a hardhouse/hardcore dj for the last few years, trips to 'Planet Zogg' in Sheffield (where I am currently at uni), and 'Antiworld' in London, along with a few fantastic psytrance cd mixes being passed onto me have made me decide its time to dip into the scene - tracks like 'As I Child I Could Walk On The Ceiling' by The Delta, and 'Let It All Out' by Eskimo sound so refreshing to me on a musical level  :D

210015[/snapback]

yeah, let it all out is a great track, really fast and full of mad energy, but its not typical psytrance to start off with. its way to fast (155bpm). its a very cool track though. it goes mental on a big rig.

you should look for Prodigy - Voodoo People (Eskimo Remix) i think you will dig that. its an unreleased tune, so youd prob have to P2P it off someone elses machine. not that i condone that sort of thing...

yeah, let it all out is a great track, really fast and full of mad energy, but its not typical psytrance to start off with. its way to fast (155bpm). its a very cool track though. it goes mental on a big rig.

210328[/snapback]

hehee, coming from a largely hardcore background, 155bpm isnt what I class as fast - it seems so strange to be basing stuff around 145bpm instead of 175bpm now... its much better to dance to (you dont need to be frothing at the mouth to dance to psy hehehe)

Will have a look for the 'voodoo people' remix... I used to drop the original version of it into hardhouse sets, so am interested to see what the remix is like!

once i find an artist or style i really dig (man) then i buy everything that record label has to offer!

In this case its Phantasm Records - (UK Psychedelic Chapter)

210320[/snapback]

I hear ya on that one, seems to be the easiest way to 'branch out' quickly into learning which artists pump out which kind of tunage! Any idea if the 'hoover' sound has ever been used by a psytrance artist?? Used to love some of the twisted hoover leads producers would come up with in hardhouse, but have no idea if they ever crossed over??

Believe me you wont be dissaPOINTed!

210320[/snapback]

Hold on, I will get your coat and call a taxi for you :P

This is inaccurate! Bass down, midrange up!! Most of the precious gooey stuff in psy is contained just below the highs.

210450[/snapback]

niiice!

!!THIS QUOTE DESERVES TO BE IN A TRACK SOMEWHERE!!

(wouldnt that be an idea? helpful 'technical' vocals to increase ones listening pleasure...)

ps - i thought treble was the midrange? definately the bass needs to be cut.

regarding the actual mixing of psy, I think people have got the wrong idea - I understand how eq's etc as I have been djing best part of a decade now, however what im unsure of is the actual track intros - do you mix them, or simply skip to the 1st beats of each track and go from there (which is what I have been doing)

Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone apart from me :unsure:

Any idea if the 'hoover' sound has ever been used by a psytrance artist?? Used to love some of the twisted hoover leads producers would come up with in hardhouse, but have no idea if they ever crossed over??

210397[/snapback]

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just let it die man....just let it die.....

regarding the actual mixing of psy, I think people have got the wrong idea - I understand how eq's etc as I have been djing best part of a decade now, however what im unsure of is the actual track intros - do you mix them, or simply skip to the 1st beats of each track and go from there (which is what I have been doing)

Not sure if that makes any sense to anyone apart from me  :unsure:

210667[/snapback]

i usually skip to the first beat of the next track. i play the intro on my first track, but thats usually it. i rate if you are very good, and your timing is excellent, you could mix in the intro, but that more effort than its worth i would think.

i usually skip to the first beat of the next track. i play the intro on my first track, but thats usually it. i rate if you are very good, and your timing is excellent, you could mix in the intro, but that more effort than its worth i would think.

211150[/snapback]

hehe, I kind of figured that might be the case to be honest - at least im not doing it all wrong then :)