Antichrist of Psy/Goa

Cinos

I'd say Holymen, if he still labels himself as Psy. He has made one good track for 8 or so CDs, and now everyone of his fans thinks psy and goa are supposed to be full of cheesy melodies and happy beats.

Also the late Infected Mushroom make good kandidates for this position. And Skazi.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys my tastes reflect the standards of an entire genre!

203723[/snapback]

This was a question, idiot. A topic about who YOU think is the worst psy/goa artist ever. Not a statement, merely ideas.

Get it? Is there something wrong with sharing thoughts? If you think so, what are you doing here anyway?

Personally I dont hate music at all. I do dislike some of it though. But it makes me chose, and choice is good! If I see that IM, Talpa, Skazi, Misted Muppets or similar play at a party I simply dont go there. Well, if artists that I like play there then I would probably go, and just be in the chillout when those I dont like, are playin...

I dont think that HATE is a good term in general. You, Cinos seem to have a lot of rage and hate inside you, rage and hate that I had when I was 13-15... But you will get rid of that too I think ;) (Now, I am not saying that you are a kid or anything, I was just reflecting on how I was 17 years ago, and that a LOT has changed since then hehe...)

Just ignore what you dont like and go on with your life trying to be more positive about things :) Only from positive people we can have positive vibes. Lets not confuse hate with personal taste, or no?! :)

But I like argumenting about things like this. It's a good way to went that anger. :( Don't you have any artist you really hate?

(BTW: I think I indeed am a "kid" compared to most people here)

Edited by Cinos

But I like argumenting about things like this.  :(  Don't you have any artist you really hate?

203744[/snapback]

No, not really hate them for their music, I could not hate someone that I dont know personally.

As I said, Hate is such a strong word, and should only be used when you really really dislike something with such strength that it makes you feel sick and want to hurt that person. (FOR ME).

I have some artists that I really dislike for personal reasons, as in they did soemthing to me that is not OK. But that is not for this board, as that would be very unprofessional.

As I said, I really dont like IM, Talpa, Skazi etc etc, but hate them? No, not really, I just dont listen too much to what they are doing. I will not totally ignore them though, because one day they MIGHT do something that I like, and then its a diffrent story.

By the way, I am a big fan of Elvis Presley! ;) (I even have him tattoed in the shape of Shiva on my arm haha).

How old are you then, if you consider yourself a kid?!

THIS WAS MY 303'rd POST!! :) ACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID :D:D

Edited by djnemo

But I like argumenting about things like this.  :(  Don't you have any artist you really hate?

203744[/snapback]

I think you're both right - Nemo makes some good points, but there are artists and styles that I strongly dislike nonetheless. It's like they are raping the music I love. Now I am well aware that I can just ignore them and don't buy their records or go to their gigs... but look at it this way: I strongly dislike far-right and neo-nazi political parties, so I don't support them or vote for them. But I'm not satisfied with just ignoring them, because they spread ideas and a culture that I percieve as a threat to the things I like and stand for. If only their ideas are heard, the ones I stand for will die out. Now this is a harsh comparison, but I can feel similar things about music - The full-on formulaic soulless crap is to my beloved trance music what Jörg Haider, Jean-Marie Le Pen or Umberto Bossi is to my political ideas - an antithesis, threatening to engulf and overthrow the things I love and stand for. There will always be good music, even in the current reign of full-on there are jewels to be found. But that doesn't satisfy me any more than a resistance movement was satisfying in the 40's.

I'm NOT saying that full on is nazism, it's merely an allegory. Another would be that I don't like the idea of meat gaining in popularity among foods, since I'm a vegetarian. While I can naturally eat vegetarian food all I want, an increased demand for meat will mean that the food I favor will lose some of its market share and I will be left with fewer choices.

The overall trend in psytrance has been moving in the direct opposite direction of what I want for a long time now. "Psy-pop" with embarassing remixes and infantile musical structures is just the latest step in this direction. I despise this development and wish that music would be allowed to be serious again, that artists would allow themselves to be a little more pretentious and strive for depth and emotion rather than just imitating the latest sound trends and making it "work on the dancefloor". So while hate is a strong word, I have a very strong disliking for the current state of "full-on" and it's inbred bastard child "psy-pop".

How old are you then, if you consider yourself a kid?!

203746[/snapback]

`

Not THAT young. I'm, however, not going to tell my exact age, as I then risk people not taking me seriously. I've seen it happen before.

Ukiro, I do not like the most of the Full On or PsyPop as you so nicely chose haha, and you know that (I think we have had this discussion before). I only wanted to express that we cant go around hating things in life, when we can chose to make things diffrent instead.

Respect is the word that I think that I am looking for here.

I am trying to change things in my way, and that is to produce the kind of music that I like and love. I do not try and sound like someone else, but I would like to have an oldschool sound to my tunes. I have gone from more melodic to more monotone yes, but the melodies are still there.

(to speak about other artists that I respect and think are making a diffrence)

I like what Filteria is trying to do, but still it is not 100% my cup of tea, nevertheless I will support him all the way, hes trying to change things for the better, and that for me deserves respect.

From a political aspect, I can only do what I am best at. VOTE. I am not a polititian so I can not change things in the world by standing and speak to people about what I want to change and believe in, but I can chose which polititian I want to do this for me. I didnt misunderstand you with your nazi vs full on, it was a good comparison, but maybe a bit harsh, and not the kind of comparison that I would chose hehe. (shit this is going a bit off topic no?)

I am not going to go into the discussion of being vegetarian or not, I did it for 7 years and now I am somewhat of a semi-vegetarian hehe. I believe in balance, thats all.

Oh and might I add, it is also in my opinion that Holymen is producing very bad music. I dont like it at all! But maybe he wants to change things too.

This is why clans and tribes were formed in the good old days, because there were people with diffrent values and beliefs :)

I belong to the "oldschool goa psy trance acid mc doof" clan ;) hehehehehehehe

Of course there are BAD BOYS in music. I absolutely agree about SKAZI being one of the worst. But real antichrist must be XENOMORPH eben though I like some of his music. he uses satanistic chants and words in his albums and makes pretty hard, dark psy. I like some of the trax but the rest is simply pretentious. I don't like this new deviacy INFECTED MUSHROOM are making even though I adored them before. I also agree that all this Israeli clones are getting over the line as well ( VOID, PARANORMAL ATTACK, CYBER CARTEL, INTERGALACTIC ). Some real problem happend to X-DREAM and they started to produce very lame experimental efforts like last 2 albums - Irritant and We Interface.

`

Not THAT young. I'm, however, not going to tell my exact age, as I then risk people not taking me seriously. I've seen it happen before.

203750[/snapback]

Don't worry, I won't. I'll just not take you seriously because of your ideas still.

My whole point is this: what's the point of telling everybody you don't like something? It just perpetuates negativity. It's like opinion-drama. Haven't you ever heard the old addage: "My mother always told me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"? Do you wanna know WHY people have been saying that for so long? Because sitting around saying everything sucks and is stupid sucks and is stupid. It is neither productive NOR stimulating.

Let me suggest this instead: rather than complaining about groups you don't like, why not just not pay attention to them and not support them. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad...and conversely, just because you LIKE it doesn't mean its good.

Anyway, I've observed much behavior like yours recently and I think it pretty much is a result of a combination of a few factors: the need to communicate, having nothing to do and having nothing to say and it results in people communicating (practically) nothing, too often. Drama is a result of this...people talking about other people because they have nothing else to say and it causes mixups and miscommunication...When I have nothing to say I don't say anything...I don't resort to telling people how much I like or dislike something or what so and so did a few days ago...it's just pointless, I think, and this has been one of the more valuable things I've learned in the last few years.

Sorry, I don't mean to be an asshole but I DO mean to be critical.

The internet: a fabulous place for the free interchange of ideas, good and bad :)

The whole online community aspect of the psy scene goes back to TRiP and the reviews found there... part of what made it useful was that opinions ranged wildly between positive and negative. Proponents set out an argument and provide constrasting views on a release which a person can then consider and use as a staging point for coming to one's own conclusions. I still find that negative opinions help sort out the immense volume of music that is put out year-by-year. Take a look at isratrance and all the mutual backscratching that goes on over there - often if one were to try and gauge a new release by what people say there you'd find that EVERY release is "KILLLLLLLAAAR". What good is that? It's fine when someone says X sucks, because hey - it's just the internet. Someone else might chime in and say X rocks! While this isn't the most involved commentary it can provide a basis for finding new music or coming to conclusions about music already found. At the very worst, well, what... the artist cries themselves to sleep at night about what all the bad ppl on the internet said about them? I don't think that is so... most artists are quite mature about it - recognizing that you can't please everyone all of the time. Some of them are actively seeking fame and fortune at the top with a sound that can be described as "lowest common denominator". They shouldn't be surprised that for every ten fans they make there is one or two detractors from the old style who despise their methods.

If human beings hadn't developed a 'need to communicate' we'd still be munching leaves up in a tree somewhere. Probably for the betterment of the planet but what's done is done by now :)

Also the late Infected Mushroom make good kandidates for this position.

You link Infected Mushroom up with that statement? That just shows you haven't a clue what your on about.

Your talking about a crew who more or less invented or helped to invent Psy-trance.

Now that is what I particularly dislike. When you have achieved the level of respect that Infected have earned time and time again then you (Possibly) have the right to dis them, till then go learn music properly cause as I said first you just haven't got a clue.

There is no such thing as good or bad music/sound just some do not know how to use those sounds properly so they form a constructive journey of Aural understanding. But one must understand and critisise constructively so that the person who is not using the sound correctly gains knowledge and direction.

To just dissmiss them with negativity does not help them in anyway.

I probably would've supported your initial statement till you made a comment about a crew who has influenced the Genre's you mention from not an outside viewpoint but the very root core of both Genre's,

Nomad

Your talking about a crew who more or less invented or helped to invent Psy-trance.

don't mean any disrespect but to me it sounds like YOU'RE the one who doesn't have a clue here... IM's first album was released in 1998... the first psytrance tracks were made around 1993... Erez was like 13 at the time!!

IM may have given psy a new direction but to say that they "more or less invented" psytrance... WTF???

You link Infected Mushroom up with that statement? That just shows you haven't a clue what your on about.

OK I see you wrote "more or less", but you're still giving them way too much credit. They certainly have their own style and have been an influence for some, but "The Gathering" was nowhere near groundbreaking - it had been done before. Now they certainly have their place in psy-trance history, but "more or less invented or helped to invent Psy-trance" tells me your knowledge in this field is quite limited. Rest assured that psy-trance was a well established genre by the time IM showed up.

Now that is what I particularly dislike. When you have achieved the level of respect that Infected have earned time and time again then you (Possibly) have the right to dis them, till then go learn music properly cause as I said first you just haven't got a clue.

There is no such thing as good or bad music/sound just some do not know how to use those sounds properly so they form a constructive journey of Aural understanding. But one must understand and critisise constructively so that the person who is not using the sound correctly gains knowledge and direction.

No such thing as bad music? Oh please. If I strive to make hypnotic music and fail, is it not bad music? If I strive to make scary music and it ends up cheerful, is it not bad music? Sure, even these failed attempts might be enjoyable by someone, but this sounds like some sort of hippy ideology speaking and not common sense.

To just dissmiss them with negativity does not help them in anyway.

I probably would've supported your initial statement till you made a comment about a crew who has influenced the Genre's you mention from not an outside viewpoint but the very root core of both Genre's,

The very root core? I really don't see a point in arguing any further if you seriously believe Infected Mushroom constitute the "very root core of both genres". You sir need to read up (and listen to) the history of goa- & psy-trance. Infected Mushroom are hugely popular and have their own disctinct style, but in terms of musical innovation their legacy fails to impress.

Buncha stuff...

203817[/snapback]

I think it's fine to voice opinions when and where it's appropriate (reviews...) but I'd hope that the opinions were backed up a little bit.

If I want to buy an album and one guy says it sucks and one guy says it rules I still don't know shit about the album, just that I've read two very bad reviews on it.

Anyway, I'm speaking about matters of principle here...I can't help it, I always do this shit!

don't mean any disrespect but to me it sounds like YOU'RE the one who doesn't have a clue here... IM's first album was released in 1998... the first psytrance tracks were made around 1993... Erez was like 13 at the time!!

IM may have given psy a new direction but to say that they "more or less invented" psytrance... WTF???

203831[/snapback]

I know for a fact that Eraz and many of the israli "stars" was jumping up and down in the crowd when I used to play goa and psy in Israel around 1994-97 ;)

Just an example to the many newcommers that think psy was invented when IM arrived in 1998 ;)

Hope you now understand that IM and other "grounbreaking" artists are not-what-so-ever inventors of psy ! The inspiration they got to make the music they have made came from artists that created music way before them. Varied international artists such as MFG, Dino Psaras, Tim Schuldt, Juno reactor, Astral Projection, T.I.P, Elysium ;) , Edi Mis, Sandman, Indoor, KoxBox, Prana, Jaia, Total Eclipse, Etnica and many many more !

A history lesson would be good for many newcommers so they actually know what they are talking about ;)

I think it's fine to voice opinions when and where it's appropriate (reviews...) but I'd hope that the opinions were backed up a little bit.

If I want to buy an album and one guy says it sucks and one guy says it rules I still don't know shit about the album, just that I've read two very bad reviews on it.

Anyway, I'm speaking about matters of principle here...I can't help it, I always do this shit!

203855[/snapback]

Fair enough - I think I'd agree. I oppose those who would cast down ALL negative opinions, for there are those that serve a purpose... but would agree that opinionated reviews which aren't backed up don't really help anything much at all.

I generally don't post my reasoned yet negative reviews simply cuz its not worth dealing with the flak you can get for thinking bad of someone's "art"... but I sure as hell still write them ;)Latest victim - V/A Poopaganda!

Skazi !!!!!!!!

Definetly.

Someone give me a sniperrifle and i'll take him out. :lol:

I'll sacrifice myself ;)

He made a remix lately of a Belgian Club-house track.

Don't know the name of the original artist

The track is called satisfaction i think.

( quote:touch me, tralalalala, till i can get my, tralalala, satisfaction)

I dislike club-house & i must say that the original is even better then skazi's "goa" remix. He just putted a "fat" bassline on top of it, one he allready used a bunch of times before. :huh:

He raped a bad song and made it even worse...

that's NOT cooooool duuuuuuuuuude :lol:

Skazi !!!!!!!!

Definetly.

Someone give me a sniperrifle and i'll take him out.  :lol:

I'll sacrifice myself  ;) 

He made a remix lately of a Belgian Club-house track.

Don't know the name of the original artist

The track is called satisfaction i think.

( quote:touch me, tralalalala, till i can get my, tralalala, satisfaction)

I dislike club-house & i must say that the original is even better then skazi's "goa" remix. He just putted a "fat" bassline on top of it, one he allready used a bunch of times before. :huh:

He raped a bad song and made it even worse...

that's NOT cooooool duuuuuuuuuude  :lol:

203861[/snapback]

the Benny Benassi remix! :blink: I HATE THAT!! :unsure:

warning : flame post ahead.

a lot to add here

melicia

beat hackers

perplex

skazi

anax (now new album on psyshop.-. what a bullshit !)

sub6, infected mushroom, astrix.. am i listening to psytrance or to crappy disco ?

bizarre contact

absolum !!!! total crap

hydrophonic

protoculture

analog pussy..what the fuck is this ?

+... lots of others to add

audiotec.. i can continue for years.

all above is NOT psychedelic trance, so maybe i am strongly off topic :)