The Infinity Project

Cinos

Personally, I have to say they're a bit overrated. Neither Weird or Mystical are THAT good. Both sound rather old and unengaging (at least right now).

202775[/snapback]

Heh, what do you mean rather old? It IS old, its 9 years since the Mystical Experiences and Feeling Weird was released. I know that there was supposed to be a re-release of Mystical Experiences on Avatar records or something, never investigated this, since I have both the originals from 1995.... ;)

Personally, I have to say they're a bit overrated. Neither Weird or Mystical are THAT good. Both sound rather old and unengaging (at least right now).

202775[/snapback]

I think Mystical Experiences is an absolute masterpiece. The emotions they had on their sonic palette for that album far surpass that of shpongle in my opinion.

Feeling Weird, however, sounds very dated by now. It's also nowhere near as consistent as Mystical Experiences, mainly since it's pretty much just a collection of old singles and compilation tracks. It's still fairly interesting musically, if you can look past the crude production and outdated sounds. But then again, quite a few of the tracks on that album were made in 93, ELEVEN years ago...

The emotions they have here are not always very obvious (unlike M.E.), but once found they are, at least to me, more interesting than most stuff released today. They had that mystical vibe, the sense of being in an exotic, foreign place in the dim dusk light and weird things going on in the shadows, sort of. Not always very well executed, but the vibe is in there somewhere.

The Infinity Project were pioneers - perhaps not as important as bands like Etnica for the evolution of psychedelic trance music, but T.I.P. had their first release in 1991, and it ain't that bad either.

But yeah, much of their dancefloor stuff is interesting from a historical perspective rather than good from a musical perspective. Still though, I think Mystical Experiences is amazing, even after more than 9 years since its release.

I hope to record an Infinity Project mixset with most of their stuff sometime... I made a go at it but didn't get the flow right so I need to try again. Put in the proper context, their music can be very interesting. But they're far from being my favourites in the genre.

Heh, what do you mean rather old? It IS old, its 9 years since the Mystical Experiences and Feeling Weird was released. I know that there was supposed to be a re-release of Mystical Experiences on Avatar records or something, never investigated this, since I have both the originals from 1995.... ;)

202782[/snapback]

Yep, there was. And then TIP.World re-released it on a double CD with Mystery Of The Yeti as well.

But I too have the original, on both CD and vinyl =)

I think Mystical Experiences is an absolute masterpiece. The emotions they had on their sonic palette for that album far surpass that of shpongle in my opinion.

202784[/snapback]

I try so hard to get into it. But it seriously think I could produce music of the same quality. Not so with Shpongle. The "mystic" aspect Shpongle and MOTY have wasn't IMHO present on this album yet.

And what do I mean with old? Exactly that, old. Not all old music sounds that way. Take Mystery Of The Yeti. It's still ahead of it's time.

I think you had to be there, and go through that to understand how important this release was for the scene. Im not trying to sound rude or anything with saying that. I am just stating that I can understand if someone finds it boring and not so forward going. I think the 2 releases are as Ukiro said are masterpieces... :) Damn, they are still in my record case. Along with my Eat Statics and Juno Reactors, some records stay there forever, some dont hehe ;)

(sorry, I didnt read Ukiros post in full, and I didnt see the very end) I find them masterpieces :)

Edited by djnemo

I think you had to be there, and go through that to understand how important this release was for the scene. Im not trying to sound rude or anything with saying that. I am just stating that I can understand if someone finds it boring and not so forward going. I think the 2 releases are as Ukiro said are masterpieces... :) Damn, they are still in my record case. Along with my Eat Statics and Juno Reactors, some records stay there forever, some dont hehe ;)

202791[/snapback]

He didn't say Weird was a masterpiece. Or did he?

Anyway, I like plenty of really old music, but this just is a bit too simple. :huh:

Mystical Experiences is bollocks, just like 99% of synthy ambient... Booooring. There's only a few moments where that quality that we have grown to love with Shpongle is present.

I don't care to check now, but I recall that the tracks where Posford was collaborating were the best.

Feeling Weird. Now THAT'S a different game altogether. I think it's still a really great album, one of the best goa trance albums released.

The funny thing is, that TIPs best tracks are always those Posford/Barber/Freeland collaborations. So it seems that Raja Ram & Graham Wood had the vision, but needed a little help to manifest it.

I still don't get this "outdated" thing. It's different, ok. But how on earth is something outdated? Like black & white movies you mean?

Tracks like Feeling Weird, Freedom from The Flesh and Doof's remix of Hyperspaced will probably always stay on my top-whatever-list of electronic music.

I like the relaxed, dynamic & smooth sound of old trance. I think most modern albums have musically inferior production when compared to older releases. All the dynamics are killed and loudness dictates everything.

I still don't get this "outdated" thing. It's different, ok. But how on earth is something outdated? Like black & white movies you mean?

202794[/snapback]

I don't have any problem with the oldness in itself, I sentenced it wrong. The thing is it doesn't have the quality it would have if made today.

No, that's not right either. I'll just say it sounds too simple, and it would be more complex and quality-filled if made today.

Not really that either. Damnit. :angry:

I think the thing about "sounding old" is that things that were really cool ideas 10 years ago have become cliché now. Almost noone does snare rolls anymore - in 1995 it was cool.

When I was a little kid I thought the Police Academy movies were funny, but now I couldn't possibly stand watching them. My tastes have evolved and humour as a whole has evolved too. Star Wars had awesome effects in the 70's, now those effects look kinda shoddy. Same thing with music - the bar raises, standards evolve.

Still, I would like to point out that I'm a diehard oldschool lover. Just look at my collection! But some things age with grace while others get mouldy fast. In terms of The Infinity Project, I think Mystical Experiences has aged like wine (or at least it hasn't deteriorated) while Feeling Weird has aged a bit like milk...

And Cinos, if you could make music of that quality, you have a customer right here =)

And Cinos, if you could make music of that quality, you have a customer right here =)

202798[/snapback]

I'm serious. I haven't made psy-ambient yet but I just might try after I finish my newest, cool yet monotonous psytrance. I'll be sure to hook you up with samples.

I make my music with tools that cost approximately 50 bucks, BTW...

I'm so poor. :( Because of this most of my stuff sounds amateurish.

Mystical Experiences is the best ambient album ever created.

Sound old ? it's from 1995 !

99% of synth ambient ? Of course it's ambient and made with synth !! so what ???

Mystical Experiences is the best ambient album ever created.

Sound old ? it's from 1995 !

99% of synth ambient ? Of course it's ambient and made with synth !! so what ???

202806[/snapback]

Yes, but old things do not have to sound old. I think the second comment means there is very little percussion and variation. Though first, Infinity Project can't beat Shpongle.

Yes, but old things do not have to sound old. I think the second comment means there is very little percussion and variation. Though first, Infinity Project can't beat Shpongle.

202807[/snapback]

Shpongle is the Evolution of The Infinity Project hehe, so of course it cant beat it :) Simon, Graham and Raja are the members ;)

Shpongle is the Evolution of The Infinity Project hehe, so of course it cant beat it :) Simon, Graham and Raja are the members ;)

202809[/snapback]

Graham isn't on Shpongle though.

In my experience TIP made some of the greatest tracks that ever hit a dancefloor.

Especially in the beginnings of the 90's they where very influential in making goa trance what it became.

They where also among the first to make it into a commercial story and a clearly defined genre.

I agree that feeling wierd is not so together as an album, but like someone said it's a collection of tracks, some 3-4yrs old when the CD came out.

Anyway, because of the influence they had on the scene they can't be said to be overrated.

I don't understand how one can compare sphongle and TIP.

One is in my ears boring pretentious ambient music, and the other is fun and psychedelic music for blasting the socks of a dance floor.

Nevertheless they are two completly different genres of music and cannot be comapred in my mind anyway.

I love mystical experiences .. its one of the most mystical albums i know hehe..

Cinos: i havent heard any of your music or dont know nothing about how talented you are but i doubt you could make such music.. maybe little same sounding but the emotions and the wierdness.. or let me know when its done .. just please dont say 'i could make such music but im not on the mood'

Cinos: i havent heard any of your music or dont know nothing about how talented you are but i doubt you could make such music.. maybe little same sounding but the emotions and the wierdness.. or let me know when its done .. just please dont say 'i could make such music but im not on the mood'

202834[/snapback]

I could certainly match the weirdness. Possibly not the professional production, as my equipment is shit. I will try to, that's for sure.

However, I've only made ordinary trance and some attempts at psytrance up to now. So give me time.

I could, however, give you a short sample of some of my psytrance or chilled uptempo trance later. Then again I'm afraid of being slaughetered completely after suggesting I could match Mystical. :(

I don't think Infinity project is overrated just beacuse they were pioneers of psychedelic trance and made singles back in 1993. Considering that fact, they are one of the most influential even though they made 2 albums and around one album of other singles. I like their style very much, it is trippy, psychedelic and very funny. I like serious trance as well, but their level of fun WAS serious. I like all of their tracks plus those demented singles they released besides : WOW, OSCILLATOR, MINDBOGGLER, PHOSPHORESSENCE, EGO SHREDDER, OVERWIND, ALIEN AIRPORT, TIME AND SPACE, BRAIN BOKKA...I find it too much cause they stopped making music together.

I try so hard to get into it....

202788[/snapback]

hey cinos,

maybe that's why - trying hard. put the record (mystical) on, light one up, and just sit back (or do things you need to get on with). it's not a tune that grabs you by ball and shakes you upside down. it's more a tune that sorta envelops you subtly (ambient/chill, you know). like other posts here, it's one of those rare piece of music that i never get tired of after all these years - i'll put it right up there with KLF chillout.

d

They're one of my favourite old groups but even I will admit they were quite inconsistent... M.E. is fabulous stuff but Feeling Weird is all over the place. Their singles and compilation appearances were where you might find their better sound... and generally I think they got a whole lot better near the end - Mindboggler Part 2 anyone?

Graham Wood's solo disc on Equinox is one to track down... it has some stuff that is really quite excellent (Strange Thing for example)... and the new CD Blowfish is pretty good.