I Don't Get You Guys...

Guest Mike D

You always seem to think or say how crappy old skool melodic psy is, but if you go to the reviews section, all the highlightes (meaning most popular) albums and compilations are the ones from like 1995-1999. So are you just not voting anymore for your favourites or is it true that we still really love and respect the oold skool? Jusat interested, as the old skool sound does it for me far more than many of the new school.

Personally I think that's because of 2 things...

-Children doesn't have the time to update that kinda stuff all the time

-there are still more old-school lovers as new-school lovers!?? (I do not know that for sure though, and please, no WAR now!!) ;-))

I think the right albums are highlighted though!! ;-))

Bom Shankar!

Anoebis

maybe it's because it takes some time to make an album a real classic. when something new is out you don't know if it's just a good album that gets played a lot now and then nobody speaks about it in a year or if it remains in peoples heads and hearts.

and i forgett to say i'm an old-school melodic full-on lover too!! :-)

Guest sudh1r

old school melodic is the true stuff, these progressive/minimal artist are just wannabes or some like Etnica which only want money!!

Never heard anything by Eyal. But Miranda? Some hate her music. It seems to be as much a reaction to her being a woman as anything else. I personally love that album, and I think there are many others who would agree. It's beautiful, old school goa. From what I read, Eyal is more into the whole 'nitzo...' (I don't know how to spell it) thing. In my opinion, that is a totally different class of music from what early Miranda is/was.

Guest nomad

i think that to be a classic, music must be acknowledged as excellent, but it also must be established. In a year or two i'm sure some of the more recent less melodic music, (when it is more established) will be classics.

maybe we'll see..

Guest Kristian

I think the scene has evolved into a monotonic massproduced trancescene... With so many similar monotonic releases today it´s not strange that none of them are "special", worthed to become highlighted (most popular). I wonder when I will get good-old chills from trance music again...

Well that's normal, each year has at least 5 favourites highlighted which means :

1995-1999 = 5*5 = 25 highlighted releases

2000-2001 = 2*5 = 10 highlighted releases

Sometimes there are more than 5 highlighted releases for a same year (when the results are too close)

Guest Setsuko

Kristian , do you realy think the progressive psytrance (or monotonic trancescene) is massproduction ... well i'm sure it isn't ... psytrance is still underground , whether it is progressive psytrance or newschool full-on ....

btw, i realy dig oldschool psytrance too , so insane... but now the full-on released the past 2 to 3 years doesn't realy interest me ... because i discoverd the beauty and psychedelic entertainment of progressive psytrance ... i'm even more addicted to this particular musicstyle compared with my love for goa.

sometimes people think the musicstyle they listen to is the best ever ... well , i don't think so but it's the style I LIKE... and those people does not accept any kind of new wave , new experiment with this type of electronic music , and that's why they become narrow-minded ...

...and like nuts said , don't put it into categories ...

and please don't care about the highlights (agree that it help some people that are new in the scene) but for Mike D , your post is pointless ...

so here goes my question Mike D , are you realy THAT worried / confused ????

Guest Kristian

I don't mean massproduced in the sense of being commersialized. But massproduced in the sense of everyone-is-making-it and there are almost nothing else but this in the trancegenre released today compared to what it was a few years ago..

That's why I believe there's nothing special "pointing out" to be worthed highlighted nowadays (except for a few, but not as it was earlier)..

Guest Mike D

No, this wqs afun post meant to poke a bit of fun at us all... I actually collect all forms of psytrance, and I can't name one group I really hate or dislike anymore, out of all my 150+ psytrance cd's. And also out of the many other style of music I listen to an collect. I also understand what Kristian is saying, it does seem that psytrance has kind of gotten itself into a bit of a 'rut' with the new and progressive sound, and nothing bad is meant by this. I also don't get what the big deal with keeping the scene undergound is?? I mean, one second we are complaining that the artists and labels don't get enough cash, and then for example Hommega releases a compilation like Clubber whis is excellent in my opinion, and every body assumes it is just "commercial" or "sell out". Hmm, I think it more close minded to keep our scene to a select few, rather than allow it to open up. I mean, I have played psy at a few frends parte's where they all list to drum n bass, house, detroit style tekno and breaks, and everybody says how much they enjoy a bit of psy thrown in! I'd love to see some artists and dj's at the big gigs, like the huge Gatecrasher out here. Hmm, I guess I can expect alot of negative remarks becoz of this, no?