what is that "moment" to you?

i know this might seem like a strange question, but i believe (i could be wrong) that we all like trance because of a feeling we get, that special moment in time when we connect to the music. its that feeling you get...the one thats the very reason you listen to trance in the first place. the euphoric high that you chase every time you go to a party or put a cd in the stereo. my personal phrase for it is (inside the belly god) i know that sounds dumb,but i never realy tell it to anyone else anyway, and the god reference is not religious it just fits. im just wondering what that feels like for other people.

for me i dont get it most of the time...i still love the music, but that "feeling" is very rare. when i get it i feel this presence...and i have visions. its as though im looking at this infinite machine. its really a machine though...its everything. i mean it represents everything in the universe. everyhting all connected and working togher as a living unit. it has no consiousness, its not good or evil, it has been there since the dawn of time and will forever be there. and its always moving and changing but at the same time...completely constant (just like the actual universe).

i know what kinds of sounds in trance trigger this for me, its why i love minimal trance, because this feeling is just not possible for me with full on melodic (note i said for me..im not knocking melodic trance). the solid kick drum represents the ever driving ever progressing and ever moving but always the same structure that its all based on. then there are the slowly changig synths. they represent the patterns of life. the sound the same..but are actualy changing, almost unnoticable..like the evolution of life. or like the life of the univers..it started out as the big bang and expanded eventualy it will stop expanding and will retract back to the same solid mass it started out as..only to explode again....repeating forever. then there are all the little fleeting noises that come in and out. they are like the little unpredictable events that happen...a super nova here a lightening strike there.

when i get this feeling its like im connected to all things and all times i trancend everythig and see everything at once...its as though everything has bocome just one thing, a single entity and im completely enveloped by the etirety of the universe....thats why i call it inside the belly of god.

wow...im not sure that even makes sense to me...but its the best way i can put into words something thts not able to be put into words. did any of it make sense? it doesnt matter.

so...whats it like for you?

I knwo what you mean - i think - it sort of envelopes you dunnit... I like the bit usually about 1/3 - 2/3 the way through a good tune, when everything kind of levels off - there's more space in between the sounds, everything sits nicely, kind of like a plateau sort of thing - atmos is great at this, hallucinogen, talamasca, and spiritual healing is a good example of it. I prefer to think of it like running down a fluoro tunnel sort of thing.

wll shut up it makes sense to me :)

Guest Mike Indidginus

I guess that's why we call this sort of music "trance" for the states that it can help induce... That's a very indepth description of what you feel sometimes when you hear the music. Thanks for that :) I find it very hard to reach those sorts of states in clubs nowadays - I no longer take any substances, so the cramped hot conditions play on my mind a bit too much. I think I know what you're saying though :) Take it easy and happy Xmas!

Guest Mindbender

I can't put it in words. It's always different. Sometimes I get pretty much the same as Ouroboros, sometimes it's totally different. To generalise it, I'd call it a "spiritual orgasm". Like an orgasm, it is full of euphoria and even a bit physical, but so much much more.... But "traditional" orgasms can be as well...

Continuing with my analogy with sex and trance, the orgasm is not the only nice part. Yes, it is a climax, but most of the time I spend on the dance floor dancing and thinking. Sometimes I just forget my body completely and then a minute later I'm only concentrating on the moves I make with the music, and slowly my thoughts go somewhere else again. Doesn't sound special, but I've discovered a different way of thinking while dancing. Can't describe that either... It's just somehow more creative. And it feels really good.

I'll come back if I figure out a better way of explaining things.

Lauri

I know exactly what you're saying. In fact, I'd be willing to say that the obsession many of us have with this music, the urge that makes us spend so much money and time on it, is the hunt for that rare "moment." I've had it quite a few times, but it's always unexpected. For me it's usually a certain passage in a song, sometimes an entire song, that I need to rewind over and over again because it's hitting me in the certain place that feels oh so good. And it's that feeling that's so damn addictive. If these CDs were drugs or gambling, we'd all have to check into a 12-step program or perhaps our families and friends would all insist on frequent *interventions* with sudden rides to the hospital for detox. :) EA

i know exactly what you're talking about.. it's a feeling you can't really describe, but it feels so damn good, and you're just so glad to be here and live.. it's great. and i don't want to bash minimal here in any way, but i just haven't had that with minimal trance yet. only when i hear some beautiful melody.. minimal gives me much energy but not that special feeling.. but music is good even if you don't get that moment always :)

well i hate to bring up old messages but i think this fits in ;)

"When i dance i go to whole new world...

its a world that can be experienced..

but not relived, its complety and holy in the momement,

and there´s nothing like that momement that will ever pass again..

this is what i´m living for in my daily life,

to experience each and every momement as whole and complety as possible,

to sauvior that momement and create that momement again as an memorie,

to wait....... the past the present and the future.....all 100% in that momement.......

the feeling of dancing is like no other.. it´s the complete spirit in the body expressing it self.... the past the present and the future.. to wait for an another moement that special"

Nativa Radio - Neuromancer

i can agree with you all, that feeling, the feeling of feeling complete, as a part of the whole unviers, when you get that feeling that connects you too everything, its simply marvolous.

have a good time

Guest Slidingtrancer

I know the feeling of forgetting your thinking patterns completely and exploring sideways. You don't need drugs to open the door, you can do it yourself. I know exactly what you mean, mindbender. It's hard to describe though. Sometimes I just see the whole partycrowd as one beating heart. It beats with blissfull perfection to the sounds and it's not of any dimension we know of. It just floats, cuaght between being and not being, between something and nothing. It's like the partycrowd is a cell, which divides into molecules without time and space bothering it. Just a split second it needs....

All these people can say alot of cheezy euro/clubtrance, but it can't alter ur state like this music can...

Yeah, that "moment" is also why I listen to trance music - it is really like a sonic massage at those times - tingling and lighting up centres of energy in the body and brain - trance gives this invigorating health - I wonder if studies have ever been done as to health and general well-being or happiness as it relates to listening to music - I'm sure there are many - even plants grow better with the help of music!!

Well, they say that Dopamine is released during moments of pleasure, and must surely be released when a good musical experience takes place. So, seems to me, whether you're tripping or not, the music you like releases some serious feel-good drugs. I hate to reduce this momentous feeling to chemical reactions in the brain, but it's these reactions that must give us our extreme spiritual and blissful perceptions - our feelings of "oneness" or being in "the belly of God," or what have you. :) EA

I can now pull that "moment" out without music. It's all about what's going on in your head. I can re-create the music in my head anywhere; sitting at work, sitting at school, laying in bed.....

You can re-create the coolest parts of your favorite tracks in your head, and even re-mix them....... mix them with OTHER cool tracks, and so on.

Oh I also wanted to bring something else up:

During that "moment", if it's a good, strong "moment," I actually HEAR this sound in my head, kind of a "whoosh" type of sound (very shakey, very neat). Anybody else get that, or am I just completely flipped-out?

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

ya know strumpling...come to think of it..i may hear a sort of woosh sound. although im not sure if i hear it..or if its a woosh. its kind of a backround white noise sound...and it sounds like its slowly changing pitch...and yet not changing pitch at the same time. is that anything like whay you hear?

or maybe its just a slow flange filter on a high hat..hehe i dont know.

That's it! I believe that is the sound/feeling/whatever I was talking about, Ouroboros. As far as the pitch you're talking about, It seems to change pitch because it changes intensity, it starts soft, gets a lot ?stronger? and then fades back out, but I think it's somewhat the same pitch the whole time.

It almost sounds like something's shifting in my head, but that's prolly not what's going on. Maybe it's a really really fast vibration of your head? Kuz i kinda get the shivers at the same time as that noise.

Maybe i'll try to research this and post back here...

Anybody else hear/feel that?

If so, try to put it into other words. I believe everybody experiences this, it's just hard to explain. Communication!

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

more on that "moment"

I've noticed that with albums I really really enjoy, and know well, that feeling comes right BEFORE my favorite parts, in anticipation. It's really fascinating some of the things our brains do for us :)

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

KICK-ASS topic, by the way, Oroboros

There is a very interesting/strange/funny part in Terence McKenna's "True Hallucinations" that deals with sounds you begin to hear inside your head during moments of heightened awareness - of course in the book the guy in question had been on serious drugs for days and was worried that he was metamorphasizinging into an insect (too much Kafka and ketamine?) - but interestingly, insects use sound to transform from one stage to another - the sound vibration triggers chemicals in their bodies that then catalyze their change into full adult form.....

so be careful all you guys doing heavy drugs and listening to strange repetitive noises for hours on end - your girlfriends and families may be in for a shock! :)

I know the feeling, and the moment too. I call it Audiogazum. I usually feel very relaxed and completly filled entirely with explosive energy.... not about to explode though. ;). I've called it audiogazum as my personal word just like Ouroboros. I bet it's the same feeling. Yes, you feel like your one with the universe... trance has only done this to me... but lately classical music has almost brought me to tears... (strange) This is a noble feeling... i dunno how else to say it... i just feel very magical when it comes.. like a wizard, or a ethreal being... It usually happends with really dramatic trance like juno reactor. It is awesome if your outside under the sky while it comes... when it came to me... I was out practicing outside and i just took off with amazing energy. Next time i remember is when i was running and listening on some device... It made me run super fast. I felt as if I was GOD's only creature... or actually what i thought at that moment was "god's paladin". (paladins were holy warriors for the church) Don't start thinking i'm some hard line christian or catholoic.. I have my own personal religoin for myself i've sortave and will always be working on...

anyway.. I think I know what your refering to Strumpling, I believe it's adrenaline. I get it when i'm kinda scared (fighting/boxing) It's very loud but very quiet at the same time. It's a eternal SURGE. I always associate it with adrenaline because i know adrenaline gives me that horrible feeling I lothe (why do i hate it? probably because it always comes when i'm in some kind of danger). But i've had it happen only once (thank goodness) and it was very loud, It gave me tons of strength and energy for about 3 seconds. After that I was seriously drained. (thats why i hate that feeling and adrenaline too) Ouroboros you seem to be describing it pretty well for me. But seriously you two...geez your sure sensetive to the music if you get that kinda rush when hearing it... wow. Pretty intense. My audiogazums were never that intense.

This is a great post, we need more like this and less trivial ones.

OK people.

Experiment time. Get out your bongs, pot-smokers. Snap a few bowls, sit back for about a half hour, and then Pop in your favorite CD and take another bong hit

;-) (call me an enabler)

OK, your favorite part of the CD is comming up, building, building, wonderful! YES! Now quick! act like you're having an orgasm (LOL i'm serious!). tighten your grion as hard as you can, don't inhale OR exhale and if you've done it right you'll get the shivers and this odd "whoosh" type of thing in your head.

Works for me...... Either I am a mutant, or it should work for you as well :)

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Think "bliss"

Guest lÿsërgïç

i also get this feeling. well i havent noticed any noise in my head when it happens, but i just feel really good. one track that did it for me was deedrah - reload, there is a certain sound in that track u will know what im talking about if u have heard it :)

also, i agree with what EA said , something about feel-good drugs like endorphines being released into your body. this one time after i got home from a party (and i didnt take any drugs at all) i had totally dialated pupils as if i was on drugs... so i think something must have been going on in my body :)

and i must admit, this is deffinatley part of the reason why i love psytrance so much. that feeling is very very powerful the first time u hear a really kickass track, and u wish the moment would never end, then slowly the magic fades away from that track, so u are forced to search more and more to find it once again.

respect to all the artists who make this possible!

For those of you who's heard/felt that noise/thingy during the "moment"

I just realized... Isn't this the same noise/thing that goes on when one yawns? I believe so. I think I've gotten it during (er more like right at the end of) sex as well, and I've gotten it right after taking a piss (doesn't everybody else kinda "shiver" after a good piss? Well pay attention and that noise might be there).

This would indicate it's a feeling of relief that causes the "moment" to occur. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxx

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Guest spirit_dancer

ouroboros...i hope u don't mind if i past this in another forum...its too good to just leave it here...plus...in the other forum..therez more 'kids' so i wanna see what they think of it:).

thanx.

Guest spirit_dancer

its plurplanet.com...for the 'rave' scene in and around atlanta...its nothing compared to this one though...i feel more at home and free to say whatever i want to cuz the ppls over here are almost like family...u guyz r great:)