Perfect Stranger- Changed

yohankiwi

Posted Image

Artist: V/A (Remixes of Perfect Stranger tracks)

Title: Changed

Label: Iboga Records

Release Date: June 2007

Tracklist:

1. What's The Lineup (Morax rmx)

PERFECT STRANGER

2. Free As We Are (Perfect Stranger's re edit)

ANTIX

3. Perfect Ace (Atmos rmx)

PERFECT STRANGER AND ACE VENTURA

4. KNS (Perfect Stranger rmx)

ATMOS

5. Ode Ao Sol (Vibrasphere rmx)

PERFECT STRANGER AND PENA

6. Six Feet Under (Perfect Stranger rmx)

BLT

7. Truth (Motion Drive rmx)

PERFECT STRANGER AND EMOK

8. Bliss (Flowjob rmx)

PERFECT STRANGER

9. Ode Ao Sol (Eitan Reiter rmx)

10. Ode Ao Sol (Elegant Universe rmx)

Well since I voted this in as my favourite album of last year, (very) closely followed by Ace Ventura's and Eat Static's, I figured that it would probably be a good idea to get a decent review up here.

Perfect Stranger is, for me, one of the very best prog producers in the scene at the moment: he's released some absolutely stunning singles (most notably Ode ao Sol and Perfect Ace) and his last album Learning=Change was equally impressive. This album however just has the edge over Learning=Change, mainly because of the sheer variety of the tracks in the album: there's elements of progressive trance (of course), minimal, gritty techno & electro and dirty electro-house to be found here, all done with fantastic productions skills and often even higher levels of psychedelia. Changed, on the whole, is also a much darker album than Learning=Changed, which I like a lot: at its best it's very deep, exceedingly hypnotic and often menacing music that really gets under your skin, sends shivers down your spine and gets better and better with each listen.

Let's have a look at the tracks:

1. What's The Lineup (Morax rmx)-PERFECT STRANGER

First up we go into psychedelic minimal-tech cross prog trance territory with Morax's remix of PS's What's the line up. Fans of Trentemoller and D-Nox and Becker's latest album will definately vibe this one: good layers, beats and bleeps flickering around the place and a heavy, driving bass to carry the song along. It has a wonderfully psychedelic climax starting around 5.20 that culminates in an awesome break of minimal craziness that finishes the song off. Great stuff. 9/10

2. Free As We Are (Perfect Stranger's re edit)-ANTIX

Next up is the man himself, taking a very different approach to Antix's somewhat blissed out Free As We Are. Here is one of the most menacing songs on the album: steady, heavy prog trance with creepy voice effects rising and falling. I wouldn't want to hear this one alone in the dark. I would love to hear it blaring out of a massive soundsystem however. Another 9/10

3. Perfect Ace (Atmos rmx)-PERFECT STRANGER AND ACE VENTURA

Very.... Atmos. Basically if you like Atmos then you'll like this track, if you don't then you probably won't. I do like Atmos, a lot, so this tune goes down well for me, however it only gets a 7/10 as there's nothing really very exciting to hear here.

4. KNS (Perfect Stranger rmx)-ATMOS

An absolute stunner of a track here: Perfect Stranger takes Atmos's minimal, rather chilled out KNS track and turns it into an electro-house infused, killer dancefloor track. Starts off with the standard KNS melodies, then builds and builds before breaking into some very dirty electro beats. Heard this one played live at PS's recent set at Universo Paralello and it absolutely destroyed the place. 10/10

5. Ode Ao Sol (Vibrasphere rmx)-PERFECT STRANGER AND PENA

Killer dancefloor track number two. Really didn't expect a track like this to come out of Vibrasphere, the master's of morning progressive. This is another dark track, and easily the hardest track on the album with a montrously heavy beat driving the song forward and some frantic synths kicking in about 1/2 way through. I'd go as far to say that it's better than the original, especially on the dancefloor. 10/10

6. Six Feet Under (Perfect Stranger rmx)-BLT

Wow! Just... Wow! This song, for me, just about defines what psychedelic progressive music should be. A very dark, menacing minimal tech-vibe throughout, but with absolutely stunning progression from start to finish: you are rarely listening to the same music for more than about 20 seconds before some aspect of it has morphed into something different so subtly that, unless you've been listening very carefully, you can't put your finger on what exactly has changed, you only have the feeling that something has. This makes this song by far the most psychedelic tune on the album. Stunning stuff. 10/10

7. Truth (Motion Drive rmx)-PERFECT STRANGER AND EMOK

The weakest track on the album IMO. It's a nice tune, but this is due to the high quality of the original rather than Motion Drive's remix, who haven't really done much with the song at all to be honest. Straight up progressive trance here, and a lot lighter than the rest of the album, which kind of disrupts the nice, dark flow that the album had going for it. 6/10

8. Bliss (Flowjob rmx)-PERFECT STRANGER

Ooof, this song has a good bass! It's another lighter progressive song with some housey elements, but I prefer this one a lot more than the previous one, mainly because it's just so wonderfully deep and warm. 8/10

9. Ode Ao Sol (Eitan Reiter rmx)-PERFECT STRANGER AND PENA

The last two tracks are more remixes of Ode Ao Sol, both very good, but not quite as good as Vibrasphere's. The first one isn't trance at all, solid techno/electro here and I love it: it's gone back to the heavyness of the previous tracks, and it's got some nice funkyness going on with some cool breaks. 8.5/10

10. Ode Ao Sol (Elegant Universe rmx)-PERFECT STRANGER AND PENA

Another awesome dance floor track from Elegant Universe here (another act that have been rarely disappointing as of late) and a great way to finish off the album. Solid progressive trance again, but this time with a darker edge to it and a lot more energy than tracks 7/8. It makes great use of the classic Ode ao Sol build up at the end of song, even better than Vibrasphere does, just listening to it now is sending bubbles of energy running down my veins. 9.5/10

All in all this an stunning album, that any fans of progressive trance, tech trance, minimal and electro should get their hands on. You won't regret it. And I really hope Perfect Stranger keeps this darker edge to his music in his next EP, it really sets him out from the rest of the progressive crowd and is highly addictive for a listener like me.

9/10

excellent music. i really love the atmosphere of the tracks in here.

tried finding some more "dark" themed progressive, but nowhere to be found. it's all either prog-on or electro house.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...