daw host software

i'm preety fed up with cubase - buggy and sometimes preety difficult and slow to use. tbh, i use like 20% of the features. so i'm looking for an alternative.

there's sonar 6 (http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/) which has a really impressive set of features (that i could actually find myself using them), but it may seem a bit "big" and slow to use, cubase style.

there's ableton live which is nice because it is getting great reviews and it can be used both as a writing tool and a performing tool. also nice features in it.

a new version for tracktion is coming soon (http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion3/splash.html) which seems really great according to the videos. i really like the "all in one window" working style.

an interesting piece of software is also podium (http://www.zynewave.com/) which seems preety new and still totally ugly but the vids look promising, although i'm not sure what it can give me that i don't have yet.

any experiences with those progs? hows the sound engine etc etc?

i'll probably try to write a track with each...

Ableton Live

ok one word: workflow :) ive worked with cubase and fruity before i switched to live. in live, you write new leads while beat, pads bassline are playing, record automation/vocals while you playback the whole track, everything can be moved/altered while you hear the track or just a looped scene.

you can record a whole track live as an arrangement, everything triggered/played live becomes your arrangement.

like you have a garageband. :) and you can hear it in the track. this is actually music making.

then later you draw/change automation in arrangement view fit mixing levels etc.

or you can start your track in arrangement, like on normal sequencers.

i cant say much more to compare it to other hosts as im woking for a year now with live only.

the sound is decent for sure.

Hmmm... I love Cubase, I have hated it from times to times, but then I start using something else, and just get back to Cubase again... so there isnt really something out there that beats it for me. Some say Logic, but Logic for PC's doesnt exist anymore (well it does, but version 5.3 or something only).

Another one, that I bought is Ableton, I like it a lot actually, but I doubt I will use it for Production, I will use it for my new Live setup. I will do all the dirty work in Cubase. But then again, I am not very familiar with Ableton yet, ot make such statement just yet. I like the feel of it though! :)

Sonar, I used it for a week, and then I dissed it, didnt do it for me, but I am sure that its a good program.

Tracktion, well, didnt like it at all. Dissed it after 2 days.

Fruityloops, Feels like a plastic toy, couldnt get into it, so I dissed that too. I have however heard very good songs made in Fruity, so its just because I dont like the way it works, rather than to say that its a crap program. Taste eh?

At the end of the day mate, try them all out, give them a week each, and then decide which one you got the most productive with. I mean, it might be that you install Ableton, and you never go away from it, because it just appeals to you very much.

I know, I know, I have changed my mind about Sequencers a lot... before I wouldnt even discuss it with my stubborn head, but I have learnt a lot the last year, and that is, that everything when it comes to making music is sooooo individual, and its not the program that makes music for you, its the brain that controls the program! :)

Atm I'm using FLS 6 to create a hardtechno/industrial hardcore track.

It's quite ok, but I haven't mastered it, so my opinion is futile here :)

But I kinda agree on what nemo said, it's not so much compared to the 'big guys' :P

It really sucks to hear this for someone who is trying to learn cubase right now.

Maybe I should start studying ableton live before I get too much into cubase :lol:

start with fruity. its a great program to start with. i recommend it to everyone who wants to start producing electronic music.

ableton live doesnt have a step sequencer. you will go nuts without one.

use fruity til you think you have understood the basics of producing.

then switch to ableton live :D

good luck.

start with fruity. its a great program to start with. i recommend it to everyone who wants to start producing electronic music.

ableton live doesnt have a step sequencer. you will go nuts without one.

use fruity til you think you have understood the basics of producing.

then switch to ableton live :D

good luck.

Hey!!!! I'm not such a newbie :P

I've worked with Reason for a year now.

I'd like to use a program that would work with Reason 3.0, like Cubase, thanks to that thing they call "rewire 2.0" I think.

Hey!!!! I'm not such a newbie :P

I've worked with Reason for a year now.

I'd like to use a program that would work with Reason 3.0, like Cubase, thanks to that thing they call "rewire 2.0" I think.

:lol: sorry i mistook you for someone else

then id say try albeton live. cubase is really complex, the manual is like 1000 pages or something :lol:

you can rewire reason with ableton :)