Quick stats for 2012/2013

mars

Like last year a few stats over the Psytrance production. The only way to get these stats is to either rely on discogs, or count pirate mp3 groups pre's and add free netreleases (Ektoplazm, etc). Probably some are missing as (for example), I don't count applicable SoundShiva.net releases... Don't shoot me, that's only for informational purposes, I was doing it 12 years ago already, when the production was 10% of what it is today, and counting these nowadays is really hard.
We could go much further, by splitting by genre etc, but unless you ask for it, let's keep it simple.

Reminder: in 2012 there were:
- 1095 albums/compilations in CD, LP, Tape and digital format
- 908 EPs (99.8% of which were digital)
= 2003 releases in total.

Now, in 2013, so far we saw:
- 979 albums/compilations in CD, LP, Tape and digital format
- 1206 EPs (only 2 or 3 uptempo ones were actual vinyls...hi TIP World!)
= 2185 releases in total. That is 15374 tracks, 255 GB of hi-quality mp3s, or 80 days of continuous music !!!!

So we can see (similarly as between 2011 and 2012), a decrease in the number of full length albums/compils and an increase of EPs (1 to 6 tracks, less than 1 hour long), and an overall increase in the number of releases.

Amongst the trends, I noticed:

• A major part of the releases are either Progressive or Darkpsy, the latter decreasing fast now. A LOT of the Progressive ones sound all the same, like Neelix (offbeat, etc), especially as this is the speciality of several very productive labels such as Spintwist, or "compilation-recyclers" such as YSE or Geomagnetic.
  • (Neo)Goa, FullOn and Minimal remain marginal.
  • Ambient/Drone/IDM/Darkambient account for a significant part of the releases, and they come from a huge nebula of very small labels or self-releases. BTW 100% of Tape releases are Ambient ones.

If you have questions or require details over some styles or formats, just ask.

thanks for the statistics.

i'm a bit surprised by "fullon remains marginal". i would rather have suspected a drop. apparently this happened much earlier...

i don't dare to ask, because it's likely more work than it's worth, but rough subgenre percentages could be interesting.

tape? is that dat? or cassettes? i can't think of any kind of tape, still in use today for music :)

I will try to get subgenres %, but it might take a while to compute.

Yeah FullOn has faded already a couple of years ago.

Seriously there are lots of tape releases. Audio-cassettes! For real. They've returned in force in the past 3 years!

http://www.discogs.com/search/?type=release&title=&credit=&artist=&genre=Electronic&label=&style=Ambient&track=&country=&catno=&year=2013&barcode=&submitter=&anv=&contributor=&format=Cassette

• A major part of the releases are either Progressive or Darkpsy, the latter decreasing fast now. A LOT of the Progressive ones sound all the same, like Neelix (offbeat, etc), especially as this is the speciality of several very productive labels such as Spintwist, or "compilation-recyclers" such as YSE or Geomagnetic.

That's not too surprising. Every time I check psyshop I see a ton of progressive releases (most of which are utterly boring and generic), a few darkpsy and ambient, but not much else. I honestly think the quality of free releases (on sites like ektoplazm) is actually better than full CD releases overall now. At least there is some variety there.

Every time I check psyshop I see a ton of progressive releases (most of which are utterly boring and generic), a few darkpsy and ambient, but not much else.

I think psyshop is skewed that way. On Goastore it seems like a larger proportion of releases are darkpsy.

Now, in 2013, so far we saw:

- 1206 EPs (only 2 or 3 uptempo ones were actual vinyls...hi TIP World!)

Wait...I've managed to locate a few psy-ish vinyls in 2013 but did TIP actually release any or did you mean something else with that?

I will try to get subgenres %, but it might take a while to compute.

Seriously there are lots of tape releases. Audio-cassettes! For real. They've returned in force in the past 3 years!

http://www.discogs.com/search/?type=release&title=&credit=&artist=&genre=Electronic&label=&style=Ambient&track=&country=&catno=&year=2013&barcode=&submitter=&anv=&contributor=&format=Cassette

great.

unbelievable :D. but why? i wouldn't even know a place where i could get a device to play them back (except going to the cellar and hoping that this sony walkman still works ;)

Yeah FullOn has faded already a couple of years ago.

alright, seems i have really missed what's going on in the scene lately. the acts i've seen in the last years were mostly goa, fullon and the good kind of progressive...

anyone have an idea in which year fullon (releases) imploded?

I too would be interested to know why. Cassette seems like a medium that has absolutely nothing going for it compared to the modern alternatives that exist.

I'm guessing that nostalgia/retro wave strikes back again here, I'm almost sure an old fashioned walkmans are the sh*t for some people who put style, fashion and 'being seen with' before quality and practicality.

Check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_culture

There is a § dedicated to the 21st century rise of audio K7.

Theres is indeed some kind of hype related to amateur production, self distribution, as well as ultra creative sleeve design.

@Padmapani: I can't split easily between genres, most is tagged "psychedelic" no matter whetehr it is prog or dark...I'm not feeling like flash-listening to 2185 releases today to count myself :)

(Re: cassettes)

Collectors' items, basically.

Especially in obscure branches of ambient there's a race for the most gimmicky release. For example, Eldar - Allegory of the Cave was released as 50 CDr copies with a t-shirt and...beer. Nordvargr released a CD with customised, endless loop cassettes and so on. At the very least they're limited editions, allegedly without repress (although that hasn't always been entirely true). Nowadays it's almost an oddity if an ambient/drone/noise/etc album is released as a plain, unlimited jewel case CD. While I enjoy Woob's releases, sometimes I struggle to figure out what's really being sold among all those "special editions" and other paraphernalia.

Common CD sales are down and in some genres they weren't that high to begin with. The CD is also becoming less important as the actual storage/playback medium. Therefore the artists and labels now target collectors and try to get their monies with unusual items. Heck, I bought the Infinite Presence cassette because I could, but it came with a free lossless download for real listening. The physical item is nowadays just a proof of purchase and something to re-sell to another collector...but note that to some extent it also applies to bog standard CDs as almost everyone is listening to/spinning ripped files anyway...

Wait...I've managed to locate a few psy-ish vinyls in 2013 but did TIP actually release any or did you mean something else with that?

Big mistake from me, sorry. Actually I thought some recent TIPWorld EPs were on Vinyl, given the look of the covers

http://www.tiprecords.com/promo/feeling_weird/

http://www.tiprecords.com/promo/1200mics/

http://www.tiprecords.com/promo/ooze/

but they were only digital, as Discogs says. My mistake.

@Padmapani: I can't split easily between genres, most is tagged "psychedelic" no matter whetehr it is prog or dark...I'm not feeling like flash-listening to 2185 releases today to count myself :)

very understandable :). thanks for looking into it anyway. i bet that for most of those releases tagged as "psychedelic", the only psychedelic thing about them is their tag...

as for the collectors thing, i'd totally understand vinyls. they do have a distinctive sound, that imho sounds better than cd on some club systems. also the act of putton one on the turntable and placing the needle is something that can be appreciated. of course there's also the comparatively huge artwork. but i don't see any of this applying to cassettes...

• 2 months later...

Hello Mars,

we thank you for this details, it was interesting to find out this information!

It inspired us to write small article about Psychedelic Downtempo Music.

I welcome you to read it http://www.psybient.org/love/psychedelic-downtempo-market/

One Love

Like last year a few stats over the Psytrance production. The only way to get these stats is to either rely on discogs, or count pirate mp3 groups pre's and add free netreleases (Ektoplazm, etc). Probably some are missing as (for example), I don't count applicable SoundShiva.net releases... Don't shoot me, that's only for informational purposes, I was doing it 12 years ago already, when the production was 10% of what it is today, and counting these nowadays is really hard.
We could go much further, by splitting by genre etc, but unless you ask for it, let's keep it simple.

/////////////////////

If you have questions or require details over some styles or formats, just ask.