New Hallucinogen track! (and TIP Records compilation)

Trolsk

Hallucinogen & Supermodule - Kaleidosonic. I just love Simon's basslines.

Release date is today, but it's neither available on Spotify nor Soundcloud.

...and now it's been published at Youtube:

• Like 2

I listened to it but it was bad so didn't merit a reply 😋

Sounds nothing like hallucinogen. Sure, the music does but the sound is plastic fantastic. Horrible kickdrum and that damn software sound.. Tbh it hurts my feelings personally whenever I see an old favorite move from the hardware stuff into software, and thinking it sounds good enough. 

There are many ways of making software sound just as good as hardware but they don't know how to do it, it seems.  Or they just don't hear the difference. Or they do but they don't care. 

Not sure what it is tbh. 

16 hours ago, astralprojection said:

I listened to it but it was bad so didn't merit a reply 😋

Sounds nothing like hallucinogen. Sure, the music does but the sound is plastic fantastic. Horrible kickdrum and that damn software sound.. Tbh it hurts my feelings personally whenever I see an old favorite move from the hardware stuff into software, and thinking it sounds good enough. 

There are many ways of making software sound just as good as hardware but they don't know how to do it, it seems.  Or they just don't hear the difference. Or they do but they don't care. 

Not sure what it is tbh. 

There is such a thing as too much resolution and I think that's what's happened here. 

I'm not an old-school fanatic, love my modern music the most. But this album has pushed every sound to the forefront making it perfectly clear and resolved while losing the depth and psychedelic nature of tracks that are a little fuzzy around the edges. Sections that should be found in the distant treble are positioned as the main attraction at the front of the soundstage. 

That being said, I do think I'd enjoy this during a day time dancefloor party with the sun beating down and a little spring shower or one of this sprinkler systems overhead. 

@Tsotsiyep you're on to something there! I think what you are describing is the same thing that bothers me. Too polished, too clean and upfront. That said Im far from an old school fanatic either, I just want good sound quality, and to at least not sound worse than before. Astral went that path with some new tracks, filteria did with his latest lp, artifact303 did with his latest, etc. It just annoys me that they know how to make the sound feel genuine and organic and also high quality, yet they "choose" to go backwards. Artifacts first album to my knowledge is software, but sounds great with tons of depth and quality...

And it's not about hw vs sw at all, sw can and do sound great you just have to think outside the box a bit more with the production and mixing to make it feel authentic and organic, which you kinda get "free" with hw. Anyway not gonna start a whole debate here. And it's just my opinion :)

• Like 1

Nice track I don't get the negativity at all. It harkens back unto classic T.I.P territory for me. Reminds me of Process-Cryogen, Angelic Particles, and overall like a blend of Simons first album with the clarity of the second album, albeit even more crisp of course.

And I will not pretend to know if Simon has gone fully digital this time around, I wouldn't know. He has always been using best of both worlds (digital/analog) from his Kurzweil synthesizer back in the day, and plugins and probably used some Virtual Analog synths as well. So why would his modus have changed drastically today? Wouldn't surprise me at all if there is a Korg MS-20 or ARP-2600 in there, but then again I personally wouldn't be able to distinguish between the plugin emulations of said instruments and the real deal in a mix. :) 

Enjoy the music! Not every day we get a new Hallucinogen track. Who cares what it was made with, it's just a process/tools to get an idea into reality from the imaginary realm/dream world/spirit world or whatever you wanna call it. :D It's like complaining about what pencil an artist uses, or if a poem is better if it's on a parchment scroll or in a PDF. The message is the same whatever the medium.

Thanks Simon! More tracks/albums asap! 

*It would have been interesting to hear Simon try some darker stuff in this new style as well, like his track Spawn on this EP:

https://www.discogs.com/release/197193-Beast-Spawn-Trouble-EP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parasphere said:

I don't get the negativity at all

Who cares what it was made with,

no negativity! and i dont care what it was made with either. if you read what i said it would be clear. Software can and do sound amazing. Its not about that at all. Its about it sounding worse than previous releases. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

no negativity! and i dont care what it was made with either. if you read what i said it would be clear. Software can and do sound amazing. Its not about that at all. Its about it sounding worse than previous releases. 

That is perfectly fine of course! All views/impressions are equally valid. At the end of the day, only time will tell if these new tracks will age with the grace of their precursors. :D 

I personally often find that tracks needs a couple of spins, ideally in different environments, (forest parties etc). To truly be able to vibe with it (or not). Since at the end of the day it's usually memories/experiences that makes tracks stronger.

Anyways, must be very difficult for the artists to provide something new which reflects who they are now, and the same time keep some red threads to their classics. It's a fine line to balance, not everyone will be happy.