6. Path of Least Resistance
7. 780 Days
8. ~42°
9. Rayleigh Scatterers
10. Dodecahedron
11. Loss Eversion
12. Everwave

nrQg5WK.gif

Swedish super duo Carbon Based Lifeforms is back with an album of new material and I've gotta tell you it's superb.  Like further cementing their legacy superb.  In an interview with Inside the Rift CBL say, "We probably spent way more time on each individual track for this one than any of the previous albums, partly due to the fact that it’s almost entirely done with hardware instruments as opposed to the older tracks which used a lot of software synthesizers."  The music is smooth and mellow with acid touches interspersed amidst dreamy layers (Accede, Equilibrium, 780 Days, Dodecahedron).  Sometimes warm with welcoming kicks and other times frigid with galaxy spanning pads this music positions itself for deep reflection.  Clouds is a reve-inducing beatless journey through the sky while Natvassen (Swedish for "Night Creatures") tells the eerie story of a lost soul encountering  and then living with friendly creatures in a forest.  The tracks  are fairly brief compared to psychedelic music standards and that keeps themes explored from getting stale.  The album moves with stomping and grand downtempo marches sprinkled with beatless ambient atmospheres.  The entire flow of this album works flawlessly right through Everwave, a drone-ish and lengthy beatless closer.  Now admittedly I haven't heard a great amount of downtempo this year, but so far this is tops for me.

CBL Bandcamp - Sold Out