The Taiji Twelve - a lethal trap for dolphins

remnant

Few years ago, i watched The Cove documentary about the dolphin hunting in a cove of Taiji, a place in Japan. The footage taken by the activists is quite gruesome and shows the entrapment and the massacre of large groups of dolphins, these wounded beings' desperate efforts to escape. Also, the film uncovers the whole industry build upon the slaughter of these helpless beings, dolphins and whales too, two species with intelligence striving to survive in a modern hostile environment the late centuries.

This (awards winning) film was shocking and made a good impact to the world for a long time, but also informed the unaware japanese people. Eventhough, there is a part in the japanese society and the media, as well as the japanese government, which is tolerant of this practise or even supportive, and new footages always show that the massacre hasn't stop.

Also a similar practise takes place in the Faroe Islands, grindadrap. Around 800 pilot whales and some dolphins are killed annually.

The Cove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8-nAfsjCk

Taiji dolphin drive hunt

Will Japanese Ban on Taiji Dolphins Stop Notorious Hunts?

10 Facts You Didn’t Know About The Taiji Dolphin Slaughter

10 Facts You Should Know About Dolphins

Save Japan Dolphins Campaign

The Grindadrap

http://www.dolphins-world.com/

• Like 4

Few years ago, i watched The Cove documentary about the dolphin hunting in a cove of Taiji, a place in Japan. The footage taken by the activists is quite gruesome and shows the entrapment and the massacre of large groups of dolphins, these wounded beings' desperate efforts to escape. Also, the film uncovers the whole industry build upon the slaughter of these helpless beings, dolphins and whales too, two species with intelligence striving to survive in a modern hostile environment the late centuries.

This (awards winning) film was shocking and made a good impact to the world for a long time, but also informed the unaware japanese people. Eventhough, there is a part in the japanese society and the media, as well as the japanese government, which is tolerant of this practise or even supportive, and new footages always show that the massacre hasn't stop.

Also a similar practise takes place in the Faroe Islands, grindadrap. Around 800 pilot whales and some dolphins are killed annually.

The Cove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8-nAfsjCk

Taiji dolphin drive hunt

Will Japanese Ban on Taiji Dolphins Stop Notorious Hunts?

10 Facts You Didn’t Know About The Taiji Dolphin Slaughter

10 Facts You Should Know About Dolphins

Save Japan Dolphins Campaign

The Grindadrap

http://www.dolphins-world.com/

Yep. That's the saddest thing ever in their culture/tradition. Some traditions are way beyond the worst things you can possible imagine like in Portugal and Spain you get these stupid Bullfights. Same applies . I HATE THEM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems that there are two meanings of the term "tradition". The first is about spiritual heritage and it's expressions or ethos and cultivation, and the second describes practices or habits. But as far as i know, such activity can't have roots in neither zen buddhism or shinto spirituality. I doubt it.. and again some reactions i noticed were bound to "feeding rights" argumentation, something like that, and something like "we will not do what the foreigners or the americans tell us to do, it's an ethnic tradition" for something that it looks like to have started very few centuries ago for commercial reasons.

• Like 1