shpongle suck!!!!

Guest cubbiton

I can't understand how you like their music?

Their melodies suck! and this flute....

Somebody stop Raja playing this dumb organ, please!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Towelie

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

it pisses you off doesnt it .. we all love shpongle, their melodies are unveliveable and the flute is amazing

depends on the mood you're in actually... sometimes I find it's great, like music that speaks directly to my brain, other times I find it's just a bunch of copy-paste loops of world music with some random "wierdness" added to it... Actually I re-listened to Are You Shpongled? a while ago and found it to be very amateuristic, although I just loved it when I listened to it a few years ago.

SMI²LE

Guest Reconstructed

HERESY!

I find Shpongle to be some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. I still listen to 'Are You Shpongled?' rather regularly and it never fails to impress me.

I challenge anyone to sit in a dark room with their eyes closed and listen to the entire length of "...And the Day Turned to Night" and then truthfully say that it was just a bunch of loops or was an amateur journey. Shpongle tracks aren't just drum loops with synth melodies on top and random samples, they tell stories and are great at evoking all kinds of emotions.

Guest Bahamut

my opinion: shpongle isn't amateuristic... most amateurs don't get anywhere near their level when it comes to the complex sequencing and sound quality for example

and few to none artists in any field of electronic music could accomplish something similar to 'and the day turned to night'... that track is simply amazing

the melodies are generally nice, not really great IMO, but the flute playing really gives it a nice extra touch

anyway, I'm not a Shpongle worshipper and I only *really* like 3 or 4 of their tracks, but I do think they have / he (posford) has great talent

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

I have always admired Simon Posfords work. I've never concidered it genious, but the man has talent, no doubt about that.

However, I find the Sphongle project to be quite over-rated.

At first I was blown away by the vocals and lyrics presented in their tracks,

but when I stumbled across some sample cds and found that those lyrics were ripped off straight from commercial sample librarys (which by the way the manufacturers were never credited on any of Sphongles CD-booklets), the whole image of a professional constilation fell apart.

Productionwise, one can not really argue the with the fact that Simon Posford knows his stuff, but I've never understood the whole sphongle-hysteria. It's simply not *that* brilliant.

And as far as his colleague Raja Ram is concerned, I think he should stop shouting to people to take mescalin and everything will be fine!

FF*

And I challenge Cubbiton to sit in the dark room with his eyes closed and have his flute sucked by Raja Ram during the entire length of "Are you Shpongled?", "Tales of the Inxpressible" and "Backroom Beats" volumes 1, 2 and 3 and then truthfully say that it wasn't any good.

SUCK ME SHPONGLE!

AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Guest Disagree

Nothing has to be brilliant to be good. Nothing is brilliant, it's just impression you get when you hear something that you never thought of bfore. And very much music is very amateurish after you get to know it.

And Freewheelin' Franklin, are you saying that vocals of Blissfull Awarness are ripped straight from a sample CD? No much re-arranging? STRAIGHT?

Uh, then I definetly want that sample cd. Plz tell me what it is?

blissfull awareness is michele adamson singing, not sampled...

But you are kinda right, a lot of the tribal chanting in Tales of the Inexpressible is sampled (New Way to Say Hooray and Room 23C would be good examples); I've heard the same chants in other tracks.

But umm... big fucking deal? A sample is just a sample. A sample is meant to be used. If it sounds good in a track then who really cares where it came from? Oh and if you wanna rag on artists for sampling shit, then Ott's Blumenkraft does it waaay more than either Shpongle album. But Ott's cd is kickass too... so it just doesn't matter.

Guest Disagree

Sampling is good. I don't really understand how people see it other way, like using samples would be "cheating" or something. Sample is useless if no-one ever uses it, and if it is put in good use then better. So what that the samples are from commercial CD! Do you really mean that artists who want tribal chanting should go to africa and record to their cheap minidics or expensive DATs what they want and then use that! That would reeally be stupid. You and all other people are welcome to use those samples too in any way you want.

well I'm not saying that Shpongle is amateuristic, I'm saying that at times I find it amateuritic!! But I think Disagree got it right on the "why" it feels amateuristic. Actually I had the same feeling when listening to Hallucinogen - In Dub a few months after my initial worshiping...

SMI²LE

Guest Freewheelin' Franklin

Grafh: No, its not a big deal if they use samplecds or not, I'm just trying to explain why I find the project less professional than I once thought.

{Quote:

You and all other people are welcome to use those samples too in any way you want.}

Yeah sure, that's what sample libraries are for - but they don't come free and have specific licence agreements. And concidering the ammount of cds sold by Sphongle they should use them properly by now.

You might find my point of view totally stupid and arrogant, but since the thread was started I figured I wanted to share MY thoughts.

FF*

Guest --==1400MiLeS==--

I used to be a huge ORB fan in the early 90s...When 'are u Shpongled?' came along I considered it the best Orb album that Patterson (did a track on 'are u..' btw) and co never made...

The 2nd Shpongle was kinda plagued by some really weak trax imo but stuff like Dorset, Banner, Hooray, Frisbee and Daze still stands.

What makes Shpongle better than the average chillout artist? I think, its purely compositionwise...Tracks are catchy, varied and beg to be played once more...Furthermore, Shongle is very faithful to the psychedelic tradition that Syd Baretts' PF and others explored in the late 60s.

The overdose of sampling sux though...Posford should look at Juno Reactor who simply invites a 10 piece tribal act in the studio for some african percussion or Natacha Atlas for chanting and vocals.

Most chill-out music in this scene uses Boooring 4/4 time signature with Boooring hiphop beats. Simon is constantly using other time signatures and even morphing between them in one track. That gives some edge to his music that most don't have. Nobody have to like his music but when it comes to musicality/rhythms he definitely has something Unique going on there. :)

Guest Omniholic

Hmm, well i dont think that Shpongle is crap either, but its not THAT brilliant. And the rhythm structure, well, its not that complex either. Its just that people in this scene have heard the 4/4 for so meny years even 3/3 sounds revolutionary...

Guest Towleie

whats 3/3 ... anyway theres some cool stuff but if you really want to listen wierd time signatures and stuff: ozric tentacles, dream theater/liquid tension experiment for example..

Guest Disagree

FF: Well, of course you had to license them first. Or, like I care, but ok....

Analizing music is part of understanding it. You really can't say you "get" any song without opening it up. That allows you to hear it in detail that can make the whole song sound different.

Rythm structure is just rythm structure and in shpongle it is not, indeed, that complex, but I really enjoy the changes they make. Really fresh on these grounds, and I have been listening to this dumbass 4/4 way too long. Time to switch back to more interesting music.

And btw, tell me what's the point when people say that musical theory is crap and not needed for understanding music nor making it? These people are usually ones that have no clue what they are talking about and just want to prove themselves (and to other people) that they rally can understand music without knowing a shit about it. At least I have noticed that. Whadda think? (Not that there had been any that kind of posts in this topic, but just asking...)